Nikon APS-C lenses cover F-3 chip? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta
HD recording with a Super35 CMOS Sensor.

Old March 1st, 2011, 12:41 PM   #1
Trustee

Nikon APS-C lenses cover F-3 chip?

Has anyone tested Nikon APS-C lenses to see if they fully cover the chip on the F-3 yet. I'm particularly thinking of the in-demand lenses like the Tokina 11-16 and the Nikkor 17-55, etc?
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2011, 02:04 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Nikon APS-C lenses cover F-3 chip?

I have a duclos PL 11-16. It covers just fine.
Old March 1st, 2011, 03:30 PM   #3
Major Player

So does my Sigma 18-50 f2.8.
Old March 1st, 2011, 03:49 PM   #4
Telecam Films

No problem to report with Sigma's 17-50 EX DC F2.8. Just got my MTF Nikon adapter today. One issue though is that the lens should be rotated 45 more degrees counterclockwise. The sunhood looks a bit crinkled and I see it vignetting in top left and bottom right corner. I am wondering if there is an adjustment for the MTF adaptor that would allow the lens to be locked in further counterclockwise so the sunhood is leveled.

Thierry.

Last edited by Thierry Humeau; March 2nd, 2011 at 07:50 AM.
Thierry Humeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2011, 07:05 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I've had my MTF adapter for a week now, and I've noticed the same thing with the lens hood. When you're shooting stills, it's easiest to look over the top of the camera to see the lens markings. When you're shooting video, it's usually better to have the scale on the side, so MTF appears to have taken this into account in their design. Unfortunately, tulip-style hoods, like the one on my 11x16mm, are then mis-aligned. I just twist the hood and keep it there with gaff tape. Crude, but effective. At least I'm not using duct tape....
Jim Tittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2011, 07:51 AM   #6
Telecam Films

Yep, that is exactly the explanation I have been given by Mike Tapa at MTF. They did this so people could read lens markings easier. They are going to start making upright versions for people wanting to use wider zooms with tulip style sunhoods.

Thierry.
Thierry Humeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2011, 08:09 AM   #7
Regular Crew

If you're using just DX-style lenses, without an external aperture ring, that type of adapter would be nice. In my case, I prefer it the way it is. The hood on the 11x16 stays attached when I orient it properly, it just doesn't lock.

On top of the fact that I can get nice shallow DOF with this camera, it's exciting to have access to such great wide angles, at low cost.
Old March 2nd, 2011, 02:46 PM   #8
Major Player

My biggest problem with the MTF-adapter is the very small aperture knob. But I have fixed it! Have a look at the quick and dirty solution here: www.kamrat.tv
Old March 2nd, 2011, 05:00 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Good God! That looks like something a Canadian would do. In other words, it's a wonderfully creative improvisation using low-cost materials. (And it looks like the end of an old hockey stick.)

I'll go hide now.
Old March 2nd, 2011, 05:29 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Tittle View Post
I've had my MTF adapter for a week now, and I've noticed the same thing with the lens hood. When you're shooting stills, it's easiest to look over the top of the camera to see the lens markings. When you're shooting video, it's usually better to have the scale on the side, so MTF appears to have taken this into account in their design. Unfortunately, tulip-style hoods, like the one on my 11x16mm, are then mis-aligned. I just twist the hood and keep it there with gaff tape. Crude, but effective. At least I'm not using duct tape....
Jim, try some paper camera tape and you might be even more pleased with the results.
Bob Willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2011, 06:36 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Hopefully, through diligent perusal of this forum, I will reach that level of refinement...
Jim Tittle is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta