Insurance -- the big discussion thread - Page 20 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old August 7th, 2006, 06:51 AM   #286
Inner Circle

Ian, you'll probably find the cheapest way is to add the camera as a named item on your household contents insurance.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2006, 09:40 AM   #287
New Boot

Insurance for Equipment

Okay - I have all of my equipment including cameras, cranes, dollies, computers, etc...I also rent a house and it is all stored here. Where should i go for insurance for all of this stuff. What do you guys do? It is making me nervous traveling around to shoots and not having any insurance yet.
Scott Devlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2006, 10:22 AM   #288
Inner Circle

I have very good luck with RVNuccio.com. It's all on line and they place policies thru Firemans Fund which is a very large insurance group. you can also get liability thru them. They're pretty reasonable.

Don B.
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2006, 12:47 PM   #289
Slash Rules!

State farm also does this, surprisingly. I had a policy with them a while ago, and then let it lapse 'cause I found out that they apparently didn't support using gear for business purposes, (even though they'd said they did when I explicitly asked them).

So I just got renters insurance, and got a new personal articles policy (this is what covers your gear), and for some reason, now it's okay that I use the gear for business. Around $15K of stuff insured for about $200 a year.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2006, 11:26 PM   #290
Slash Rules!

Ok, scratch that. I got a call from them yesterday saying the underwriters didn't wanna do it. . .thought it was too risky, and I got a quote for $330 a year for $12K of gear under their commercial policy. I dunno if I'll go for it.
Old October 5th, 2006, 06:01 AM   #291
Inner Circle

For about the same money you can get your gear covered AND get $1mm in liability thru Nuccio. I don't work for them but I do "shill" for them as they have been the fairest price wise I've seen in a long time. Do I know how good they are in a claim? No because I haven't had to file a claim EVER with any insurance company in over 20 years. Just luck I guess but if you use common sense and are just a bit vigilant there is a better than even chance you will never have to file a claim either BUT...I digress;-)

RVNuccio seems to me at this time to have the best thing going maybe I'm wrong.

Don
Old October 5th, 2006, 08:30 AM   #292
Slash Rules!

Yeah, I saw that. . .

Looks like I could get all my gear covered for around $250? Crazy!

The thought of itemizing everything again makes me groan, however. Do they really need dates purchased and all that? I was kinda younger and dumber in those days, and didn't save most receipts.
Old October 5th, 2006, 08:45 AM   #293
Inner Circle

Get the month and year as close as possible and you should be OK. Itemizing is a pain but it's the only way to be accurate. What I had done was to go thru all my stuff, write down what it is, the serial number and then the month and year purchased on a legal pad so when I was typing the form(s) it went pretty quick.

Good Luck,

Don
Old October 5th, 2006, 10:05 AM   #294
Slash Rules!

Luckily, when I didn't know state farm was gonna shaft me, I went through all my gear and wrote down serial numbers and whatnot. So I have most of the info, just not dates purchased. I could maybe give year. . .no idea what month most of of this stuff was.
Old November 17th, 2006, 01:21 PM   #295
Regular Crew

insurance?

i've invested in a mac book pro, hvx200, and a still camera this past year. i'm looking into renting out the hvx, and i know i'll be using my laptop as a field monitor-leaving it open to damage.

my question is how have you guys gotten your equipment insured? do you rent out your equipment? i have about $12000 worth of equiptment i'd like to get insured, is that enough?

thanks for your help.

joe.
Old November 17th, 2006, 01:56 PM   #296
Wrangler

Welcome to DVinfo Joseph. I've moved this thread to our business forum. The insurance question has been discussed pretty thoroughly in the past, see the following threads:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=60744
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=59436
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=53920
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=10475

Since you plan to rent out your camera you are definitely operating a business. Be sure to tell this to your agent since it will have an effect on the type of coverage required. Probably also a good idea to discuss with your tax accountant.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2006, 12:54 PM   #297
Trustee

Insurance for Canadian Equipment???

I've been trying to find reasonably priced insurance (equipment and liability) for a reasonable price in Canada.

The best I can get is $1295.00 a year. That covers $13k wort of equipment and $500k worth of liability. With a $1k deductible. Pretty basic coverage for that price.

I've called WEVA, as they have group insurance rates, and they don't offer insurance to Canadians yet.

Anybody know of any specialty insurers that would offer coverage?

Thanks.
Old December 1st, 2006, 10:03 AM   #298
Regular Crew

Best option is to get a rider policy on your home insurence, I got something on mine with state farm and only pay $300 or so. You pay double for business. This covers anything from droping it in a river to theft.

hope this helps

Michael
Old December 6th, 2006, 11:58 PM   #299
Trustee

Michael,

I've had brokers looking all over for me, they tell me if I was doing it for a hobby it's OK, but pro... Also, I've got the H1, which is about 12k CDN to replace. My homeowners policy would only cover me for up to 5k worth of camera gear.

I'll try State Farm though.

Thanks,

Ken.
Old December 8th, 2006, 04:37 AM   #300
Outer Circle

TD/Canada Trust, VanCity, to name a couple. As mentioned, you get a rider on your home/apt insurance. Vancity are brokers, so they'll find the cheapest rate. That would probably be ING Direct as the insurer. TD would be just slightly more. Also check out PC Financial (SuperStore).
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business