Insurance -- the big discussion thread - Page 17 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old August 14th, 2005, 10:10 PM   #241
New Boot

ty Don..I will look it up. Good advice. If anyone else has company info regarding insurance, please post.

Thanks again Don
Trent Briles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2005, 03:16 PM   #242

Insurance suggestions?

This past week I bought a new SONY DSR-400 and a bunch of stuff to go with it. So when I grab my bag and tripod to go our the door now, I'm toting about $15K worth of goodies.

I never worried about it much with the XL-1s, but I'm thinking I better get some kind of loss/damage insurance. My auto insurance covers it while the stuff's in the car, and my home-owner's insurance covers it here; but...

Any suggestions?
Old November 6th, 2005, 04:22 PM   #243
Regular Crew

Charles, who is your auto and home insurance with? I'd be happy to get someone who would just cover my gear at home and in the car like that. Even coverage just for fire or theft would make me happy. Neither my homeowner's or auto policies will cover the equipment at all since it is used for business, and I haven't found anyone locally who does offer coverage for gear unless it is kept at a fixed location and never taken outside (kept in a studio).
Dan Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2005, 07:30 PM   #244

Insurance

Dan:

In Colorado, you don't have to be a farmer to be a member of the Farm Bureau and have their (reasonably priced) insurance. So I do.

But I guess I should check with my agent, again. I don't remember business items being excluded. I lost my editing computer when lightning hit my house two years ago, and they took care of that immediately.

As far as auto insurance is concerned, I must be an industry poster boy. I'm 56, have been paying since I was 16, and I've never had a claim.
Old November 6th, 2005, 08:15 PM   #245
Inner Circle

Charles,
I've found the same as Dan. Neither my HO or auto covers my gear EXCEPT my HO policy will cover it in my house if the house is destroyed etc.
All of my gear and my liability is taken care of by RVNuccio.com who are brokers and place their policies thru Firemens Fund Ins. Not that expensive and well worth it. I'd hate to find out my auto policy did not cover my gear when I'm filing a claim.
They might have covered your computer because it was a computer not necessairly an editing computer or they just didn't realize you used it for business. Most insurance company's don't or can't tell the difference between a computer and an computer used exclusively for editing.
Anyway thats a good idea checking with your agent and if he turns pale as a ghost or coughs alot or bursts out laughing at your inquiry (some of them will do all 3) try rvnuccio.com.

Be careful with that new beauty and have fun with it.
Don B
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2005, 08:53 PM   #246

Whew... glad I asked

Thanks, Don.
Old November 6th, 2005, 09:26 PM   #247
Wrangler

You'd better talk to your agent; you might be in for a rude awakening. My homeowners policy provides coverage up to $5,000... BUT my agent said there was a very gray area if the equipment is used as part of a business. So last summer I had her research things and ended up with a "inland marine policy" (at least I think that's what it's called) which covered about $15,000 of my gear which was detailed in a list. This policy provided coverage while travelling outside of the US which was important for me.

I have my homeowners, auto and personal liability policies through State Farm FWIW. It was not particularly expensive - under $250/year IIRC. Talk to your agent and clearly explain what you use the equipment for, how much it cost and what sort of coverage you want. They can suggest the correct policy to cover all the bases.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2005, 01:10 AM   #248
Major Player

Aren't these things covered when you get insurance for the shoot?
Dennis Khaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2005, 01:53 AM   #249
Wrangler

Well you also need LIABILITY insurance when you film, but that's a completely different issue from LOSS insurance. So you have a variety of bases to cover....
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2005, 11:36 PM   #250
Hawaiian Shirt Mogul

if you are using it to make $$ then as others have stated your home/renters insurance is not going to cover it .. you can ask your agent about pricing on a FLOATER policy to cover it and any liability insurance coverage... back in 2000 when i had my home insurance look into it they wanted 1800 to cover 20K in equipment ( 1000 deduct) and 1 mil liability package ... note that my insurance stated that if i use equipment to make or my intent is to make $$ it was/is NOT covered by home owners insuance at home or in auto...

today i have no intent to make $$ on my projects so i pay around 500 for a 20k equipment and few mil liabilty floater policy per year ...
Don Donatello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2006, 03:17 PM   #251
Regular Crew

Insurance

To rent equipment and to attain filming permits you need insurance. I'm curious to know where you guys go for insurance. Are there companies that specialize in business-related/production insurance? And can you purchase per-day insurance policies?
Daniel Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2006, 11:21 PM   #252
Regular Crew

Nobody here has ever gotten insurance for a shoot?
Old January 20th, 2006, 11:44 PM   #253
New Boot

I wouldn't do a shoot without insurance.
Unless... I'm working as a one man band with my own equipment.
But, even I require my clents to provide a certificate of insurance to cover my gear.

If I hire a crew, rent equipment, rent a stage, location etc... I have a minimum of (1 million) liability insurance to cover any loss. This is required by all equipment rental houses. I also provide workmans comp insurance in case a crew member is injured.

This insurance is very expensive, But I just roll it into the cost of the production. The cost is based on your production budget.
I purchase it on a job by job basis.

I hope this helps.
Old January 21st, 2006, 05:48 PM   #254
Regular Crew

Thanks Stephen! Which company do you use for your insurance? I found a ton of companies on Google who specialize in production insurance... some of them look legit and some don't.

Thanks again for the info.
Old January 21st, 2006, 10:53 PM   #255
New Boot

Google is a good place to start in finding an agent in your area.

The big underwriter is Lloyds of London. But really expensive.

The Chapman Group LLC is in the Dallas area. I use them when I can.
They may be able to give you the name of an agent in the DC/Baltimore area.

tom@chapmangroup.com

If you're going to do a lot of production throughout the year you might consider an annual policy. It might save you some money vs. a policy on a job by job basis. In the past I have been tagged with an anti-terrism rider when I shoot in NYC. I don't know if that's still true or not. It may be true for the DC area as well.

Take the time to shop around. It will save you some bucks.
Good luck.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business