Insurance -- the big discussion thread - Page 7 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old June 4th, 2003, 01:02 PM   #91
Major Player

Brad,
I'll have to sign up for that one. Sounds like a good deal.

Rob:D
Robert Poulton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2003, 03:09 PM   #92
Major Player

These are usually riders on your policy (I have the same thing on all of my optical gear). There may be a catch though if you use the equipment professionally. That might require a different policy/rider and I'd bet it's more expensive!
Jeff Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2003, 03:46 PM   #93
Regular Crew

Jeff,

When setting up this additional coverage, I was asked if the camera was used professionally. After telling him that it was presently only costing me money, my agent told me the difference in cost for professional use is nominal. He has never mislead me before.

Brad
Brad Higerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2003, 09:42 PM   #94
Regular Crew

My XM-2 is hopefully on the way and I'm in the lookout for a good insurance. My homeowners policy (Trygghansa) only covers valuables that cost less then $1200. If I wan't my camera covered I have to buy an extra seperate insurance costing me about $90.

Any of our swedish comminity members have any suggestions/recomendations for what companys plan I should go with?

Also what is the standard practice if you need to make use of your insurance. Do you usually have to wait a long time for them to approve things and then buy it through some company that they have contacts with? I would like to know what I should demand/expect from them.
Benjamin Taft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2003, 08:40 AM   #95
Wrangler

I have all my computer, photo and video gear covered under a rider on my State Farm homeowners policy as well. Last winter my wife had a break-in at her apartment where she was staying while attending grad school out of town. A digital camera, laptop and some peripherals were stolen. State Farm was great and I got reimbursed for everything within a month or two.

They sent me a check. The only thing that wasn't fully covered was a two year old digital camera. They pro-rated its value based on age, however they offered another hundred bucks or so if I submitted a receipt for purchase of a replacement. They just wouldn't cover anymore if we didn't replace. It turned out to be a non-issue since digital cameras have gotten so much cheaper these days, I was able to get her something better than the old one for the amount they paid.

In all respects, I've been very happy with my State Farm homeowners and auto policies. But it's also important to have a good agent to deal with.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2003, 11:40 AM   #96
Regular Crew

State Farm Rocks

I too have seperate riders for my equipment. I have a rider for my laptop that I take back and forth to work so if it get lost or stolen it will be covered. I made sure all my video equipment and computers are also covered under seperate riders. Not that much extra money at all.
Stephen Schleicher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2003, 07:27 AM   #97
Trustee

Would anyone have information on how to get insurance for apartment dwellers?

I must have a good $20G or so in my place and don't have a lick of insurance- apartment insurance seems like a good investment- can anyone point me in the right direction?
Old June 7th, 2003, 07:34 AM   #98
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Steve Nunez : Would anyone have information on how to get insurance for apartment dwellers?

I must have a good $20G or so in my place and don't have a lick of insurance- apartment insurance seems like a good investment- can anyone point me in the right direction? -->>>

Steve your best bet is to locate a local insurance agent and secure renters insurance. Any of the large companies should be able to provide this type of coverage (State Farm, Farmers, Allstate). Ask around (friends, family, etc.) and get a recommendation. I would call several of the aforementioned companies and get quotes.
Houston, Texas
Paul Sedillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2003, 08:18 AM   #99
Wrangler

Paul is correct. You really should have insurance, not only for your posessions but especially for liability. It's one thing to lose $20,000 worth of gear but entirely another to get sued for $1,000,000! Actually the policy I had while living in an apartment was called a "homeowners" policy anyway. Talk to an agent, it isn't all that expensive.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2003, 03:23 PM   #100
Major Player

when I inquired with my agent about coverage for my equipment she said it would be covered under homeowners but only if were 'not for professional use'.

If so you've got to get a seperate rider deal for it. Be careful about that.
Kevin Burnfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2003, 03:46 PM   #101
Major Player

You may want to get the rider anyway - the coverage is probably better.
Jeff Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2003, 08:24 AM   #102
Capt. Quirk

Locations and Insurance Certificates

Hello all-
I recently spoke with the Corporate HQ of a chain of stores, one of which I would like to use as a location. I was told it would be no problem, just send a waiver clearing them of responsibility in case of injury, and my insurance certificate.

I can guess that the certificate would be coverage in case of damages, but how much would I need, and where do I get it?
K. Forman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2003, 02:28 PM   #103
Inner Circle

A million is minimum. Check with your insurance person that has your house and car, sometimes they will offer hazard and liability for business as well as covering your gear. If not ask who they know ,you'll probably have to go to a commerical carrier or broker.
Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2003, 03:39 PM   #104
Capt. Quirk

Thanks Don. Any idea as to what I can expect to pay?
K. Forman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2003, 04:31 PM   #105
Inner Circle

Keith,
That'll depend. Lot of variables. Not too bad though, I have E&O, liability, all my gear is covered no matter where or what, the only thing they won't do is edit for me, and it 's costing me about a grand a year. I have all my stuff insured for REPLACEMENT VALUE and have 2 million liability and 1/2 million E&O. It's call a Business Owners Policy or something like that.

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business