Insurance -- the big discussion thread - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old November 19th, 2002, 08:00 PM   #61
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Mike,

Are there any exclusions with that policy? Let's say you're in the back of a truck filming a car racing down the highway...or some other "risky" and obviously "non-wedding" shooting...and some gear falls out and disentegrates...is that covered?

If not, there has to be some insurance for pro-shooters that find themselves in all kinds of shooting situations...
Old January 27th, 2003, 12:38 PM   #62
Regular Crew

Insurance Policy for Wedding Videographers?

Hi Everyone,

A post in the VX2000/PD150 forum got me to thinking, so I now respectfully submit this question to the collective oracle (oracles-oracli? *grin*) of knowledge...

I never have considered carrying insurance for Wedding Videography. However, in retrospect, this is probably a prudent idea considering the propensity of today's society for litigation. (I suppose I have been extremely lucky thus far...)

Does anyone have some ideas on how to go about getting the proper coverage? Would it be some kind of rider you attach to your existing business policy, or would it be a stand-alone policy?

Thanks in advance for anyone's help!

-Phil

FCC Licensed Electronics Technician (GROL)
Amateur Radio - KC4UVU
Life Member of the PSHA - Pinnacle Studio Haters of America
Phil Reams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2003, 03:53 PM   #63
Capt. Quirk

I would contact WEVA. They are the Wedding Event Videographers Association, and would have the best info on who, how much, etc. As a matter of fact... I noticed you are in Clearwater. They are having a huge seminar in Orlando on Feb 18th and 19th, featuring tutorials and lectures on many aspects of Wedding and Event video. I'll be there.

For more info, go to weva.com
Keith
K. Forman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2003, 10:22 PM   #64
Inner Circle

Insurance is a very good idea. 1st of all with all of the theft going on who wants to be stuck (most homeowner policies won't cover our gear used for pro use) 2nd is liability. If someklutz trips over your tripod at the reception guess what-you are probably out of business. SUE is not a name anymore it is a way of life! 3rd this is the tough one- coverage for fault (hold harmless)- I' m not sure if this is really what it is called, but say the B/G HATE the video and you've redone the edit 9 times and refunded all their money and BAM! They sue you for grief and aggravation (theirs not yours) Let the insurance company pay for it therefore I'm not out of business and my wife will still talk to me?!?!?! AND I don't have to move out of state or sell all my nice shiny toys! Get the picture! I've seen it happen. Talk to commerical insurance brokers and WEVA shop and compare and get the right coverage for your business.
Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2003, 12:45 AM   #65
Wrangler

It's a shame we live in such rediculously letigious countries. Although I think it's much worse in the USA, Canada is quickly becoming as bad.

Although I think juries are becoming a little more jaded when it comes to "I tripped over your tripod and bruised my toe, now I want $10,000,000", I would hate standing in court against a crying bride in court, because she didn't like the video, and feels you ruined her life.
Dylan Couper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2003, 01:14 AM   #66
Regular Crew

Excellent advice everyone.

I appreciate the replys. Looks like I'll be getting some real soon!

Dylan, you would not belive how long I looked for the proper spelling for the word "letigious"-- I finally gave up ane re-worded my post! *grin*.

Also, thank you Chris for directing my post to a more appropriate area. As I hang around, I'll get a better feel for where things go. :-)

-Phil

FCC Licensed Electronics Technician (GROL)
Amateur Radio - KC4UVU
Life Member of the PSHA - Pinnacle Studio Haters of America
Phil Reams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2003, 11:35 AM   #67
Major Player

I was going to ask something about this subject. Can't you have the customer sign a form saying you are not responsible for loss, etc etc? If any of you wedding vidographers use a form like that what does it say?
Bob Zimmerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2003, 11:41 AM   #68
Inner Circle

in the terms and agreements of my contract, it says something to the effect of hold harmless. Yeah right, try to that one thru the court system. I had my attorney draw up my contract and guess what, another attorney can still find a way out. There is no iron clad rule I guess. Fortunately, most B/G and most video folks don't get into this type of situation, at least not to my knowledge so I guess you just have to have some belief and trust in people. (and a good lawyer on retainer)
Don
Old January 28th, 2003, 12:40 PM   #69
Major Player

You have a good point Don, but then again most people sign something and think it's a legal document and won't get a lawyer. I would think with most wedding video's the cost of getting a lawyer would be more than what the video cost. if I screwed up someone s wedding I would be glad to refund their money. But if they just didn't like camera angles or Uncle Joe was in the video to much, I don't think they would have much to sue you over. But then again there are alot of hungry lawyers out there!!
Bob Zimmerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2003, 03:27 PM   #70
Inner Circle

Hi Bob,
You're right on all points but I spent way too much time and money to build my video business as well as another business and now that it's just me, the wife and the dog I want to enjoy the fruits of the labor more than ever. I actually talked to both my lawyer and insurance guy this AM after going thru this thread and questioned them about "hold harmless" etc. they both said and I quote "STOP! You're going to make yourself crazy" They're wrong, I already am. So I guess I'll just go on the way I am and if someone wants to sue well....Take my cameras, take my house, take my wife, just leave me my dog!
Don!
Old January 29th, 2003, 12:18 AM   #71
Robert Coyote

You might investigate if you should incorporate yourself as an LLC or S corp
Old April 15th, 2003, 10:28 AM   #72
Major Player

Equipment insurance???

Hello, all. I'm going to be getting a whole bunch of equipment for making a DV feature this summer, using a DVX100 (~$3500). Im wondering about equipment insurance. How do I get insurance for the camera and it's equipment? About how much does it cost?

Another question: If I'm buying the equipment in the U.S., but the filming will be done in Puerto Rico, will the insurance cover the equipment if it gets damaged down there? Or do I have to get insurance in Puerto Rico instead?

Thanks for any advice!
Jaime Valles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2003, 10:39 AM   #73
Major Player

Well, I should have searched the forums before posting. Oops...

Anyways, it looks like State Farm has the best insurance policy for equipment, with no questions asked.

However, I'm still not clear on getting insurance here if my shooting will be in Puerto Rico (which is technically a part of the US, though not a state). Do any of you have experience with insurance coverage outside the US?

Again, thanks in advance.
Jaime Valles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2003, 10:44 AM   #74
Warden

That's a question for your insurance agent. If he can't answer it, he should call the underwriters. An insurance policy is a contract and may have provisions and exclusions on travel outside the continental US. Ask first, better safe than sorry.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2003, 11:22 AM   #75
Major Player

Jaime,

My equipment is cover by State Farm, in NY. I think you might have discover a post or two about it. You also reminded me that I have to pay that bill next month. HAR HAR.

They may be able to cover you outside the US by charging you more. State Farm will probably have an answer for you.

Happy Shooting! I wish I was going to Puerto Rico! Can yah stuff me in a camera bag?

Cheers!

Derrick
Derrick Begin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business