Insurance -- the big discussion thread - Page 8 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old July 24th, 2003, 04:45 PM   #106
Capt. Quirk

I was looking for a one shot deal, just to get me through production. I would actually only need it for the 6 scenes shot in the store, but I suppose it wouldn't hurt to carry it till the end of production. Do they have something like that?
K. Forman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2003, 06:05 PM   #107
Inner Circle

Hmmmm, good question. Don't know, I'm sure someone does, but I have no idea who. Maybe a call to your insurance person and they can get you on the right track.
Good Luck in your quest!
Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2003, 08:17 PM   #108
Capt. Quirk

Thanks for the help Don. I'm leary of calling anyone around here, as I just keep getting misinformation or blank stares.
Old July 30th, 2003, 01:03 PM   #109
Capt. Quirk

I just recieved a call back from an insurance company. I called, asking for an insurance certificate for an independant feature I would like to shoot. She called back, saying there was a company that could help, but they needed info. She then asked how much the project would cost. Not having all things considered, I estimated a low budget, $600-800. You could almost hear a pin drop. They will have a minimum requirement of $5,000. I thought you said this was a big feature production? No, I said this was an independant feature. But thank you, I'll keep looking.

Am I going to keep running into this? I really only need the Insurance certificate to secure the use of one location, but would like to have it for any secondary locations.. Any ideas?
Old August 12th, 2003, 05:56 AM   #110
Major Player

Talk to the people from the chain again & explain the situation. Sign a paper that you'll personally be liable for damages. Perhaps they'll go for it. Your're not filming an ultralight flying around the store, are you?
Old August 12th, 2003, 06:38 AM   #111
Capt. Quirk

Hey! I like that! I'll add it to the script now :)
Old November 17th, 2003, 02:27 PM   #112
Slash Rules!

Equipment insurance?

Well, I suppose it was gonna come up eventually. How can I go about insuring my gear? I just talked to an insurance agent, and he said right now it's pretty tough to find anyone willing to write what he called a "floater policy."
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2003, 03:57 PM   #113
Trustee

I am not an expert, but if you are not using your equipement "professionnally" (you do not receive income from your videography activities) you can pass it on your house insurance (I don't know if there is a specific terme for this in english).

I have myself modified my house insurance to cover all risks (like a camera that fell on the ground) for almost nothing more.

In the professionnal area, it must exist some specifics insurances.
Old November 17th, 2003, 04:06 PM   #114
Slash Rules!

Yeah, unfortunately it's a mix of both.
Old November 17th, 2003, 11:20 PM   #115
Regular Crew

you might try triple aaa

I have been shopping also and the best deal, Ive found is AAA (you have to be a member) State Farm wanted 500 a year for my gear and AAA gave it to me for 225 a year. This covers it in my car from theft, and me being a ass and dropping it off a bridge etc, its a add on to my renters insurance and is covering about 25,000 worth of gear.

m
Old November 18th, 2003, 12:39 AM   #116
Slash Rules!

Damnit! I am indeed NOT a member! Any other suggestions? Throw 'em at me.
Old November 18th, 2003, 03:54 PM   #117
Trustee

Michel, how's that work? If all your gear were stolen, do they need a list ahead of time of what you have? Receipts? Do they care if it's used professionally? Deductible?
Dave Largent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2003, 04:03 PM   #118
Slash Rules!

How much does AAA membership cost?
Old November 18th, 2003, 04:12 PM   #119
Regular Crew

triple aaa

Dave & Josh

AAA membership is around 35-40 a year, I gave agent a list of gear and have photos of all the equipment. The interesting part he didnt seem to care about the gears use for work, I told him my profession and he just said ok explained I was covered for everything and sent me the coverage and of course a bill.

Since its in my car going from site to site, or travelling with me etc, it definately makes me calmer.

Michel

PS Josh a lot of times triple a will send out a discount preapproved membership for about 35, the insurance services are located inside their offices might check in if your driving by and get the cost from them.
Old November 18th, 2003, 04:57 PM   #120
Slash Rules!

I see. So for like 265 a year, I can insure up to $25,000 worth of gear? (Hey that rhymed!)
Josh Bass is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business