Insurance -- the big discussion thread - Page 22 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old February 16th, 2007, 10:19 PM   #316
Major Player

Travel Insurance for Gear

I've looked on the site, looked on other sites...I just can't find any company that offers traveler's insurance for camera gear in the US (found several in the UK)...theres easily 40 different sites saying "GET INSURANCE!" but they don't reccommend any companies. The only places I found would only cover up to $250 per item up to $500 total.

Basically I'm going on a trip (personal, not business) out of the country begining of March, and I want to cover my photography gear (not interested in hauling my FX1 around) against theft. I'm only going to be gone for 10 days, but I have like $4000 worth of gear that I'll be carrying around (afterall, I bought the stuff to get good pictures, why would I take a $250 point and shoot on vacation with me? right?)

Has anyone taken their stuff on vacation with them and purchased insurance for their trip?

A huge plus would be a company that I could purchase business insurance for that would also cover me out of the country even when I'm not using the equipment for business, but thats REALLY hoping for a lot.

I'd welcome any ideas. Thanks!
Noah Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2007, 10:56 PM   #317
Wrangler

Look a little closer :-) There's been plenty of insurance discussion here:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=60744
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=59436
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=53920
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=10475

I have State Farm for my home and car, and my agent was able to get reasonably priced coverage for a trip to South America without a problem. Just explain exactly what you're trying to accomplish to your agent. Personally I think it makes sense to use the same company you already have for your other policies. FWIW, after doing some research the kind of coverage my agent chose was called an "Inland Marine Policy."
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2007, 09:34 AM   #318
Major Player

Uhmm, still looking for a solution. Don't have the option of doing the homeowners insurance add-on , RVNuccio don't cover anything outside of the US...thats pretty much all that was discussed on the links you gave Boyd. Any other ideas from anyone out there? I found a seemingly great company called E&L which covers EXACTLY what I want, but they only cover UK citizens.
Noah Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2007, 10:37 AM   #319
Wrangler

Talk to a State Farm agent. Mine was able to find coverage after doing a little research. As I said, they sold me an "Inland Marine" policy.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2007, 11:53 AM   #320
Major Player

Gear insurance in Europe

Hi:

I know this question has come up a few times, I have read the threads, but I haven't found any links to companies that will do business in my country. I had a gear insurance in Denmark with www.europaeiske.dk - covered worldwide, the whole year for about 7% of the value of the equipment.

But, now I live in Spain and the Spanish sister company offers no such insurance.

Any suggestions on companies that operate in Spain or will sign EU/world wide?

Thanks, Erik
Erik Norgaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2007, 06:30 AM   #321
Major Player

Camera Insurance in Australia - Any Recommendations?

Hello,

I'm finally making a move to get insurance for my Z1 and all accessories.

I'm getting enough business to have it out of the bag more than it's not so I've decided to cover it.

I'm looking for someone to recommend to me a good company in Austrsalia (preferably Victoria) that covers this sort of gear.

Is there anyone out there that can make a suggestion? I'm having a lot of trouble finding a good company.

Thanks,
-- John.
Old April 23rd, 2007, 09:36 PM   #322
Regular Crew

Business Insurance Policy?

I'm having a difficult time finding an insurance company to write me a standard business policy to cover business assets and give me some level of liability coverage. So far three large companies have said "We do not write business policies for video production". Right now I have an Inland Marine policy for about $1100/yr that just covers my equipment.

Can someone point me to an insurance company that can help me?
Old April 24th, 2007, 05:43 AM   #323
Inner Circle

By business assets are you referring to gear or???

If you ARE refering to gear RVNucciodotcom will cover gear and set up a liability policy for you for a fairly reasonable yearly premium.
They are not set up to handle say a film or video production but offer good solid protection on gear and liability.
BTW, search thru this forum and I think you'll find number of other threads relating to this subject with a number of other suggestions as well.
HTHs

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2007, 06:47 AM   #324
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Bloom View Post
By business assets are you referring to gear or???

If you ARE refering to gear RVNucciodotcom will cover gear and set up a liability policy for you for a fairly reasonable yearly premium.
They are not set up to handle say a film or video production but offer good solid protection on gear and liability.
BTW, search thru this forum and I think you'll find number of other threads relating to this subject with a number of other suggestions as well.
HTHs

Don

I went to rvnuccio.com and tried to apply on-line. For some reason I got pop-ups saying that I didn't meet the requirements, it did not give details. I'll call them today.
Old April 24th, 2007, 07:52 AM   #325
Inner Circle

Hmmmm, it sounds like perhaps not all the needed info was input on the forms.
It can be a bit tricky-i would go back and make sure everything was filled out.
Also when you call, you might wind up leaving a message but they're fairly responsive when returning calls.

Good luck,

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2007, 09:49 AM   #326
Regular Crew

I just submitted my app to them again and this time got these errors:

This application is not eligible for submission because of the answer(s) to the following question(s):
Commercials = TRUE
Free Lance Photography and/or Videography = TRUE
Infomercials = TRUE
Sports Photography and/or Videography = TRUE
Video Productions = TRUE

Seems to me that they will only cover "event videographers".
Old April 24th, 2007, 10:49 AM   #327
Major Player

You are correct Larry. I called them late last year about coverage but was told that because I shoot commercials, they could not cover me. Only event videographers need apply. I can't recall the name of the representative that I spoke with, but she was adamant about only covering event professionals.

I ended up going the route of a local provider and talking to them about my specific needs and I was more than happy with the results and coverage they were able to provide.

Tim
Tim Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2007, 11:04 AM   #328
Major Player

I went with nuccio for event coverage last year. I recieved quotes from three different companies, and they all underwrote the same insurance carrier. There were marginal differences in the price.

My local rep would handle the event stuff but I think they will handle it as a business. Sell your self as a commercial company or a wedding video company, maybe a marketing/ad company.

Stay away from "film production" company etc.

And even the event insurance is limited in their coverage. No stunts, no pyrotechnics, no rap videos...
Reid Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2007, 06:49 AM   #329
Major Player

contact your regular insurance company about a policy. I am with
State Farm, and have a great policy with them that covers my gear in
and out of the house, along with a 1mil liability policy. Costs about $500 per
year.
Scott Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2007, 08:48 AM   #330
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Hayes View Post
contact your regular insurance company about a policy. I am with
State Farm, and have a great policy with them that covers my gear in
and out of the house, along with a 1mil liability policy. Costs about $500 per
year.

Mmmm, but does it cover you if you're engaged in a business activity? Regular homeowners may cover losses of equipment etc for hobby activities but as soon as it becomes a business, even a home based business, it's no longer covered. Theft of your $1000 camcorder from your car while on vacation is one thing, but theft of $25000 worth of audio and video gear from a van with "Joes Wedding Video's" painted on the side is going to present you with a problem convincing them it's only an unpaid hobby <grin>.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business