Ridiculous Job Offers / Demands!! - Page 55 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Closed Thread

Old September 13th, 2006, 05:25 AM   #811
Inner Circle

One day I have to try posting something this stupid and demanding and see if anyone actually responds!

XL2 Operator Needed - Experienced - 4 hour shoot - $50

Reply to: gigs-206601492@craigslist.org
Date: 2006-09-13, 12:52AM EDT

We are shooting a Presentation - Cannon XL2 - Steady Shoot/Fixed Camera Location - Expecting 4-6 hrs on weekend (9/23 or 9/24). We are expecting high quality, looking for person who can leverage XL2 to its best.
Pls respond with experience details.
Old September 19th, 2006, 01:14 PM   #812
Inner Circle

Found this in my local rag

I just found it very intruiging, not totally video related, but funny none the less.

I haven't heard the words 'Mac Daddy' in a long time.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://266.careersite.com/candidate/...&source=search
Old September 19th, 2006, 02:02 PM   #813
Slash Rules!

These people offer NOTHING in return.

"EDITING
Reply to: job-208842666@craigslist.org
Date: 2006-09-18, 9:58AM CDT

I am looking for someone that can edit VHS tapes and put into one DVD. I have several VHS tapes of my mom ministering and I'm trying to take the high points of each and make a mini intro movie. (ex: you seem them in various churches when special events are coming to their church)

* Job location is HOUSTON
* Compensation: 0000000
* no -- Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
* no -- Please, no phone calls about this job!
* no -- Please do not contact job poster about other services, products or commercial interests.
* no -- Reposting this message elsewhere is NOT OK."
Old September 30th, 2006, 09:57 AM   #814
Inner Circle

This is SAD. $20 for camerperson with own camera and light kit in NYC! This for a "nationally syndicated entertainment tv show"

Nationally Syndicated Entertainment TV Show seeks Mini DV Cameraman (Midtown)

Reply to: gigs-214136486@craigslist.org
Date: 2006-09-30, 12:14AM EDT

Backstage Pass Productions is looking for a talented and energetic videographer with his or her own gear to shoot segments for us in Manhattan from Thursday October 5th through Saturday October 14th.

Our nationally syndicated entertainment TV show ( Backstage Pass ) visits New York City once a month to shoot an entire episode. We would like to find a freelance videographer to be our steady camera operator when we're in NY,

You should have your own prosumer MINI DV camera along with a lighting kit. During this particular visit to New York, we have set visits scheduled with "Law & Order", "Twenty Good Years" and several other network shows which will be featured on our program.

You must be professional and reliable. You must be able to represent "Backstage Pass" in a professional manner.

Our budget for this position is $20 per hour, plus food and travel expenses,...subway fare or gas money. You will be guaranteed a minimum of ( 15 ) hours.

Please send us an email with your name, contact information, experience level, and the type of gear you own and shoot with.

Backstage Pass Productions
www.mybackstagepass.tv

no -- it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
Compensation: $20 Per Hour
Old October 5th, 2006, 07:26 AM   #815
Inner Circle

So they can afford to fly you to LA but WON'T pay you for the travel days! Are they paying for a place to stay and food? If they're this cheap why not limit the craigslist advertising to LA. This ad is in NYC! So they're willing to spend money on everything but your pay which works out to around minimum wage.

Cameraman/Camerawoman needed Oct 15-19

Reply to: fashion.recruitment@gmail.com
Date: 2006-10-05, 8:30AM EDT

Cameraman/Camerawoman needed October 15-19

New York based fashion company is looking to hire a cameraman/camerawoman from October 15 - 19 to film runway shows and fashion parties in Los Angeles.
No equipment needed. This is a temporary position. You must commit to the entire 5 days and will be working very long hours, typically 10 am – 11 pm.

If based in New York, you will be traveling to LA on Oct 14 and returning Oct 20. You will not be paid for travel days.
Students and professionals welcome. $75 a day.
Please send your resume and SAMPLE WORK, REEL and/or WEBSITE LINK to fashion.recruitment@gmail.com
thank you
Old October 5th, 2006, 06:11 PM   #816
Major Player

$70 a day for DoP, hdv camera, adapter AND lenses? 5 week shoot... Anything else?

Reply to: gigs-204634326@craigslist.org
Date: 2006-09-08, 10:22AM PDT

I'm looking for someone that has experience as a cinematographer, has a HVX200, HD100 (no SSE problems) or plans on buying a HD250. He should also own a M2 Adapter and 35mm lenses.

Please send a resume, equipment list, a phone number and a link to your reel.

The job will pay between 3,500 - 4,500 depending on experience and equipment. the shoot will last five weeks.
Old October 13th, 2006, 09:46 PM   #817
Slash Rules!

Here's one. . .

Not only a no-pay, but you get to spend a couple grand (I'm guessing. . .I don't know how film stuff is priced exactly)

"Film DP w/Gear AATON or H16 etc for Portfolio 30 sec spot NON PAYING!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reply to: gigs-219970539@craigslist.org
Date: 2006-10-13, 9:03AM EDT

THIS IS A NON PAYING GIG

30 Sec Spec Spot.
Outdoors, very simple, I just want a film look.
We will split the cost of film & processing.
Humorous spec spot for McDonalds.
If you don't have any humor on your reel, this is a good opportunity.

Please send links to FILM reels. FILM is not spelled "VIDEO"
If you don't have a FILM reel, and don't own your own 16mm camera,
you are not qualified to apply.

Please don't email me telling me you have a DVX or XL2 that has
a "film look". I want FILM for this spot.

Much thanks for your time, and I look forward to hearing from you...

this is in or around NYC

no -- it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

Compensation: Warm fuzzy feeling"
Old October 14th, 2006, 07:32 AM   #818
Inner Circle

Ahh, so you're supposed to supply the camera AND cover half the costs to do HIS SPEC SPOT!

I don't think many peope BUY 16MM cameras and then work for free. People might RENT a camera. Obviously this guy's looking to welch someone elses gear, time, money.

If he were serious he'd find a good DP and offer to cover all the costs including the rental.

If he's got no money he should be looking at 8mm (there are decent semi pro 8mm often used in lower budget music videos for example).
Old October 14th, 2006, 11:51 AM   #819

And here's a response to that post, Josh...

RE: Film DP w/Gear AATON or H16 etc for Portfolio 30 sec spot NON PAYI

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reply to: gigs-219976500@craigslist.org
Date: 2006-10-13, 9:26AM EDT

I own an AATON, but if you can't pay you aren't qulified to hire. DP isn't spelled WARM FUZZY FEELING. Call Karma boy he might be able to hook you up. At least you can stroke each others' egos.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Man, some people got more brass than a marching band!
Old October 14th, 2006, 06:25 PM   #820
Inner Circle

It's bad enough people want you to do their dream movie for free. What motive would someone have to shoot someone's audition tape for free. What's even more absurd is if this person is looking to market themselves why would they want an amature production?

Need Video Producer To Shoot an Audition Tape

Reply to: gigs-220666992@craigslist.org
Date: 2006-10-14, 5:49PM EDT

Student or film school graduate - or self-taught photographer who can shoot a 5-15 minute video to be used as an audition tape needed.

The video will be about an instructor in yoga, strength training, etc. with a couple of students. There will be sound.

This is an UNPAID position. If you are interested please contact me asap as we would like to meet tomorrow to discuss logistics, etc.
Old October 20th, 2006, 11:25 PM   #821
Slash Rules!

I just don't see any way this could not turn out awful:

"The making of the party that is the movie... (East Village)

Reply to: franimal25@gmail.com
Date: 2006-10-20, 3:01PM EDT

I'm throwing a character driven costume party at a swanky little bar in the East Village, and am putting together a production crew to film the party whilst it's happening. While the movie is meant to organically develop with whatever choices the cast makes, there will also be some added dramatic elements, and twists.

Looking for members of the production crew:

Makeup - doesn't have to be fancy, just fun, and helps get people in character.
Lighting - looking for someone smart and creative.
Wardrobe - we will have props and accessories to doll out at will.
Camera - if you have a video camera, that'd be an added bonus. if you're good at cinematography and composition, you're right for the job.
Director - will have the freedom to jump in and direct real live people at will.
Sound - hopefully, we can get everyone heard on camera... perhaps you can help!

It will be an extremely fun night, and however the film turns out, it will definitely be original. Time commitment: The party starts at 8pm on sunday night, and crew call will be around 4:30pm. That will give us a little time to organize and then grab dinner.

interested: call 312-401-8471 or e-mail franimal25@gmail.com

Compensation: Payment: good times, some drinks, and lots of cool new friends. "
Old November 2nd, 2006, 01:42 PM   #822
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Emory
The problem with pay per download sites is there's no way for the individual content owners to accurately verify the number of downloads so they can get paid. The site provider could collect money and just tell you that noone has used your footage unless you happen to see it being used. The only way to ensure that you get paid for what is used is to watermark your content and only provide the clean copy directly to the recipient and keep accurate records so if they resell it to others you'll know who has paid and who hasn't. Good luck with that.
Hello James:

I am the owner of MotionZoneHd.com
please e-mail me at info@motionzonehd.com
and I would be happy to provide e-mails of
shooters that are making money with the
clips they have submitted to the site.....
I won't kid anyone, representing royalty-free
on-line stock footage is a tough business.
I can guarantee you that we pay the
highest commissions and we pay them
faster than any other stock footage company.

Sincerely,
Old November 2nd, 2006, 02:41 PM   #823
Major Player

Do they have a medical care section on craig's list? Maybe we could all post for doctor's? The ad could go something like this... Videographer/Editor needs doctor to perform open heart surgery. Sorry no pay but this will look great on your resume. Please respond to "Under-paid" videographer/editor who can't afford health insurance thanks to people not paying us to do a job like everyone else. Kind of reminds you of Homer Simpson always getting "Dr. Nick Riveria" to do his surgeries instead of Dr. Hibbard. Remember the episode where Homer is lying in bed and the PA pages Dr. Nick Riveria to the coroner and he says "man I'm getting sick of that guy." Kind of what's craig''s list is for us.
Old November 2nd, 2006, 08:12 PM   #824
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Bass
Here's one. . .

Not only a no-pay, but you get to spend a couple grand (I'm guessing. . .I don't know how film stuff is priced exactly)

"Film DP w/Gear AATON or H16 etc for Portfolio 30 sec spot NON PAYING!

Reply to: gigs-219970539@craigslist.org
Date: 2006-10-13, 9:03AM EDT

THIS IS A NON PAYING GIG

30 Sec Spec Spot.
Outdoors, very simple, I just want a film look.
We will split the cost of film & processing.
Humorous spec spot for McDonalds.
If you don't have any humor on your reel, this is a good opportunity.

Please send links to FILM reels. FILM is not spelled "VIDEO"
If you don't have a FILM reel, and don't own your own 16mm camera,
you are not qualified to apply.

Please don't email me telling me you have a DVX or XL2 that has
a "film look". I want FILM for this spot.

Much thanks for your time, and I look forward to hearing from you...

this is in or around NYC

Compensation: Warm fuzzy feeling"
Wow. If I had seen that, I would have wrote the guy just to say "&$%^ off". I mean not only is he arrogant enough to think his (in my opinion really stupid sounding) spec idea is worth someone shooting on 16mm at their own cost, but he makes it a point to state that someone, who acting out of unbelievable charity, would offer him free DVX or XL2 use...is beneath him.

I really should start asking for someone to paint my house for free, bring your own paint. I mean, why would you become a painter if you didn't like painting? Besides you have to break into the biz somehow right? Oh, and none of that cheap paint, Sherwin-Williams only.
Old November 3rd, 2006, 10:25 AM   #825

Heated debate

There's been a heated debate the past few days on CraigsList Miami regarding the "lo/no" pay video jobs. This is one person's reply I found this morning:

-------------------------------------------------------

Reply to: job-229564448@craigslist.org
Date: 2006-11-03, 9:27AM EST

First, I would like to say that I am NOT the one who has been running ads on craigslist, but I am a producer of small films who often refers to the list for help.

I have been a professional cameraman/editor for 32 years. I am in the INTERNATIONAL CINEMATOGRAPHERS GUILD and the NATIONAL PRESS PHOTOGRAPHERS ASSOCIATION.

In short, I fully support those producers who are willing to give aspiring filmmakers a shot at working on their projects ("for free"). Where else can a filmmaker get EXPERIENCE...real experience...and screen credit? Just because someone graduated from film school doesn't mean that they have experience. In fact, the producer is taking a great risk that the photographer shoots blue, shaky video without audio...

The fact is, everyone has to start SOMEWHERE, and these free "no/lo" positions are REQUIRED before you can go on to bigger and better things.

I currently work for PBS, and can tell you that ww use DOZENS of no-pay students on our field shoots. The list is long, and we are swamped, and I mean SWAMPED with applications for these no-pay positions.

Even today, after all these years and years and years of experience, I STILL WORK FOR FREE on a couple of projects a year, just to "help out", or do sharpen my skills lighting a "green screen", or operating a "jib", or whatever. It's a win/win situation. I enjoy it/they get the job done.

Putting the pressure on producers to pay for their help doesn't mean that that WILL pay...it means that they will do the project WITHOUT any help. Nearly all of the films done in Florida are done "on spec"...meaning nearly all of them will never see the light of day. So there are NO BUDGETS.

Have you ever wanted to go on a film shoot "just to watch"? Have you ever said "give me something to do, I'd like to help"? SO HAVE DOZENS OF OTHER PEOPLE. If you haven't, maybe you should.

I can tell you from 30 years of experience, if you don't have the experience, people are not going to hire you. And where do you find that experience?... in those crazy little ads in Craigslist.

If you don't want to participate..don't. But don't ruin it for the hundreds of people who do. Please leave Craigs list alone.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business