Shooting an interviews with one camera and no interviewer - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old July 17th, 2008, 06:14 AM   #16
Inner Circle

I think you can't 'get it wrong'.

Either way is fine. If you want, have her look directly into the lens. If a family member is watching the video, it will seem much more personal. Not a choice I'd make for a general purpose doc, but it's YOUR doc. Do what you want. (In my experience, older people are intimidated by looking at the 'giant eye' of the lens. But it's YOUR grandmother - you know her best)
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2008, 09:26 AM   #17
Major Player

[QUOTE=Floris van Eck;908605]I am having second thought at this moment...I read some books who mentioned - have the subject look directly into the camera as it makes it more personal.QUOTE]

Well, who is the end audience? If this is just for other family members to remember Mom, or Grandma, then she can look directly into the lens and engage them.

But if it's a documentary for outside audiences, they might want to "observe" her telling her stories or whatnot, instead of her telling the stories directly to them (staring into the lens.)

It's a personal choice. The advice I'm hearing from a lot of people is - go for it. The anxiety of thinking about something is always worse than the actual situation. You've got some solid information to work with and it sounds like you are reading and learning a lot. Go for it.

Hell, grab a friend and interview them for 10 minutes about something. It'll give you some stuff to play with and think about.

Have fun.
Will Mahoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2008, 06:50 PM   #18
Major Player

Floris, you have a wonderful tool in your living room. Go to the TV, turn it on and watch nothing but documentaries. Watch how professionals tell the story, frame their interviews, gather sound, etc. Copy the style(s) of the documentaries you like. Easy.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production