Vinten, Sachtler, Libec, Miller, Manfrotto Shootout - Page 7 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old December 7th, 2010, 08:42 AM   #91
Regular Crew

Awesome!

I'd love to see this shoot out! Thanks CS

I have been meaning to find some shootout between the RS250 and the Vinten Vision Blue.

I actually purchased the Blue system from B&H a week ago. It's an awesome unit! BUT I found out about the RS250 which having ALMOST the same spec (excluding the LED, and continuous drag) as the Blue for cheaper price.

I'm going to B&H to check out the RH25 and see how it compares to my Blue. I guess I can also let you guys know my experience.

Thanks CS!
Daniel D. Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2010, 02:41 PM   #92
Major Player

Rs350

I have the Libec Rs350 system, and can tell you it is a great setup. The fluid drag adjusts in thee steps plus off, and the continuously variable counterbalance is such a nice thing, especially when I have monitors and mattebox and filters and ..... weighing it down. Balance is easy to achieve.

I sprung for the ground level spreader version, seemed like more stable idea, however I'm thinking of getting the Miller Solo CF sticks for travel.
Old December 12th, 2010, 11:25 PM   #93
Inner Circle

Time for an update..............

I'm expecting the Manfrotto rig on my doorstep tomorrow or the day after at the latest, screw ups notwithstanding.

It would appear that there is a possibilty that both an E - Image and Secced system will be made available as well, making this the shootout of all support shootouts!

I have to admit. I never would have believed I could line up so many ducks in a row and get them to stay put, in my life.

Given the late arrival of gear, the sheer amount of work required to collate all the the information required, write it it up, proof, format, send to DVinfo for them to translate it to whatever, whilst eating their Christmas turkey (probaly 3 days after the event, cold) don't expect to see the final (er, first?) installment of this till well into January.

Whenever it reaches daylight, it's going to be a blinder, and no mistake.

Oh, and suprises for all, to boot.

Gonna be good folks, I can promise you that.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2010, 05:10 AM   #94
Major Player

Ummm......Mr Soucy......

....Would you be able to help me........I'd like to update from my old "Monopod" a new "Tripod".......do you know anything about them.............is there somewhere I could read a comparative review?????????

In anticipation, from the Western Island, Thank you..... ;)

Al

Last edited by Alan Melville; December 13th, 2010 at 05:11 AM. Reason: typo
Alan Melville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2010, 08:54 AM   #95
Trustee

Just buy two more monopods and some string...!

I'm getting perilously close to pulling the trigger on a Vision Blue, my little camera at 2kg is heavier than I thought it was, and is just about at the Blue's minimum rating.

I have a craving for quality.
Mike Beckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2010, 05:45 PM   #96
Inner Circle

The Manfrotto has landed..........

And boy, they've not been idle with their new gear, most impressive.

Replaceable pan rosettes and even pull and twist adjustable pan and tilt lock knob positions!

The tripod legs even drop without spreading and the spreader doesn't really let the legs spread, more like do the splits

Case is interesting too.

Looking forward to digging further.

Al,

Yeah, there's this crazy Kiwi I know who seems to have a bit of a clue, I'll see what he can come up with.

Mike,

You might as well pull the trigger on the VB and give yourself a Chrissy present. Heck, you know you want to.

CS
Old December 13th, 2010, 11:58 PM   #97
Inner Circle

Latest, hot off the wire...........

Both the Secced and E - Image systems have been withdrawn from the shootout for the time being as being, er, unwell ( I won't say any more).

Maybe sometime down the track one or both companies will cough up with working models for me to play with, we'll see how that goes.

For the moment tho', the lineup is as follows:

Libec RS250, Manfrotto 504HD, Sachtler FSB6 and Vinten Vision Blue.

The absence of Miller is regretted, but their reaction was, literally, "Thanks, but no thanks", read into that what you wish.

I hasten to add that neither of the Chinese companies mentioned above could even be contacted direct for discussion, they having refused to answer mails to their head offices.

The systems I mentioned (above) were coming from a different source.

Enough said, on with the reviews.......

CS
Old December 14th, 2010, 12:23 AM   #98
Regular Crew

Great thread to read. I will testify the HD504 head is pro and rather cool looking. Honestly, I wasn't expecting outstanding stuff and was proven wrong. Just my two cents.
Old December 14th, 2010, 04:09 AM   #99
Major Player

Mike....

...Great advice, I'll up the ante and go with bungy cord and a bit of 3 ply for the top.......

Chris, It's OK mate, I've got my needs sorted, re; the above reply to Mike........Toil away anyway and to show my appreciation I shall read the review.........

Al
Alan Melville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2010, 11:19 AM   #100
Regular Crew

So did Secced and E - Image systems just said NO or do they want to chime in with newer models?
Frank Brodkorb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2010, 09:41 AM   #101
Major Player

Chris,

I'm getting more interested to see how your review places the Bogen 504 vs the Vinten and Sachtler. I haven't had great Bogen experiences to date, but I always thought they had great, very robust build quality. Never understood why they dropped shy of the big boys in smoothness.
Roger Shealy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2010, 02:54 PM   #102
Inner Circle

Frank, Roger..................

Frank:

Secced and E - Image were both contacted but simply did not respond. I'm making what efforts I can to establish communication but I think unless one of their dealers fancies taking a punt, it's going to be slow going.

Roger:

I haven't had a chance as yet to do any objective tests on any of the kit, but if looks alone counted for marks I'd have to say the Manfrotto 504HD/ 546B combo I have here would be a 9 out of 10 at least.

They've really put a lot of thought and Italian design flair into this product, and it shows.

It also has one of the best slot load heads I've ever played with - you can load it practically blindfolded.

More soon.

CS
Old December 23rd, 2010, 08:28 AM   #103
Trustee

Ordered my VB with mid spreader today.

Sigh.

Now the waiting begins....

(And no, Chris, I don't mean Victoria Bitter!)
Mike Beckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2010, 10:57 PM   #104
Inner Circle

Post Chrissy update.................

Mike,

You should have ordered both!

Reviews:

Paperwork piling up on my desk for the relevant systems so high I can barely see my screen, but I'm getting there.

Suppliers/ manufacturers have pulled a blinder in getting me esoteric info.

The job now is to get it collated into something resembling order and get it posted into the relevant slot at DVinfo.

Reviews themselves waiting on completion of support deformation tests, which I've just started this arvo.

[Yes, I did just write "support deformation tests", just in case anyone thought that was a typo.]

Hope to have those completed in the next few days, then more collation and again, post to DVinfo.

Then, the reviews themselves and the shootout comparisons.

Geez, can't imagine why it's taken me so long to get this sorted, must just be slack!

So much for the great and venerable NZ Chrissy 4 week "do nothing" period, I'm working like a dog here.

It's coming folks, just hang in there.

CS
Old December 29th, 2010, 01:37 AM   #105
Regular Crew

Thanks Chris,
I appreciate the hard work and look forward to the results.
Happy New Year too!
z

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads