manfrotto quick release on a sachtler head? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old July 20th, 2011, 05:28 AM   #1
Major Player

manfrotto quick release on a sachtler head?

I'm upgrading from a manfrotto head to a sachtler. can my manfrotto quick release plate attach to the sachtler head? i have 4 QR plates on various supports - and don't want to have to switch plates on the camera if I don't need to...
Robert Bobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2011, 06:21 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: manfrotto quick release on a sachtler head?

No. Sell the old plates here on dvinfo. There's probably a lot of interest in them.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2011, 08:57 AM   #3
Trustee

I read it that you have multiple support devices, and want to use the same camera on each of them.

Add a MN357 or similar to your Sachtler head, then you can keep the Manfrotto plate on the camera at all times and use it on all your support devices.

I have this - I keep a MN357 base on my Vinten tripod, then I can switch between my Manfrotto lightweight tripod (501HDV), slider, and Vinten tripods without having to unscrew and re-fit tripod plates all the time.

If you chuck out your Manfrotto plates, it's no use. You can't get a Sachtler compatible base for all your other support devices.
Mike Beckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2011, 09:46 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Yes, the Manfrotto 357 plate adapter is an option I totally forgot about. If weight matters, the 357 is all cast metal and adds a bit to your rig. I bought one once and returned it.

By design, the 357 is a slider as opposed to the Sachtler side load on your FSB-6. Also, you have to reach around to the RHS on the 357 to lock the slider in place whereas the FSB-6 has it all on the LHS and can be done with your left hand. I prefer the Sachtler design as I like keeping my right hand on the camera the whole time during load and unload. I also think the on/off of the side load is easier (less finicky than lining things up for a slide operation) and using just the QR plate keeps the clean design of the FSB-6 head (i.e. isn't adding more knobs to deal with in the dark). Once I went to a side load, I dislike sliders. A side load lets you get the weight on the head right away vs holding it in mid-air while lining it up for the slide but YMMV.

I see additional plates for the FSB-6 are available here:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/327988-REG/Sachtler_0164_Camera_Plate_DV_1.html

Last edited by Les Wilson; July 20th, 2011 at 09:49 AM. Reason: added another issue with sliders.
Old July 20th, 2011, 10:52 AM   #5
Major Player

Thanks guys -

Mike, sounds like that adapter is just what I need. I emailed Sachtler to see if they even sold separate base assemblies, and they sent me back an exploded view diagram of the entire head, saying everything I saw was for sale! I could buy all the parts to the base and put them together, but the adapter sounds easier! :)
Old July 20th, 2011, 11:10 AM   #6
Trustee

Robert,

The Sachtler solution, even if it was a neat one, would also be a _lot_ more expensive than the Manfrotto one.

One word of caution, on some tripods it can be difficult to lock in the Manfrotto plate on its base unit because the size/shape of the tripod head means you can't easily turn the locking knob.

Keep your receipt, and if it doesn't work send it back!

Last edited by Mike Beckett; July 21st, 2011 at 12:15 AM. Reason: Typo!
Old July 20th, 2011, 11:21 AM   #7
Major Player

thanks - I just read about that in another thread.

the extra base assemblies I am using now are manfrotto 577. I think I bought a 357 a few years ago and it was a slightly different size (?)

any idea of the 577 can be attached to the sachtler head?

It's all very confusing! :O
Old July 20th, 2011, 12:32 PM   #8
Trustee

They are different sizes - I found out the hard way too! I actually meant the 577, the one with the shorter plate. Serves me right for trying to remember part numbers from memory!

I have used both the 577 and the 357 on various tripods over the past few years. They'll both fit any standard tripod head, but as you say the plates are not interchangable.

To confirm, I'm using the 577, you can see pictures here: http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/tripod-s...sion-blue.html
Old July 20th, 2011, 12:35 PM   #9
Trustee

They are different sizes - I found out the hard way too! I actually meant the 577, the one with the shorter plate. The 357 has a longer sliding plate and it is a wider baseplate too, the plates are not interchangable. Serves me right for trying to remember part numbers from memory!

I have used both the 577 and the 357 on various tripods over the past few years. They'll both fit any standard tripod head.

To confirm, I'm using the 577, you can see pictures here: http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/tripod-s...sion-blue.html
Old July 20th, 2011, 02:27 PM   #10
Major Player

great ~ thanks for clarifying! Looks like that's the way for me to go -
Old July 20th, 2011, 05:04 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Beckett View Post
One word of caution, on some tripods it can be difficult to lock in the Manfrotto plate on its base unit because the size/shape of the tripod head means you can't easily turn the locking known.
Er, Mike, you wanna have another run at that one, you sort of lost me somewhere?

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2011, 06:47 PM   #12
Major Player

Mike, do you mean the "L" shaped knob hits something before it's tightened all the way?

I had to replace the base plate knob that I mounted on a camera slider because of that - but the new knob works fine.
Old July 20th, 2011, 07:16 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Soucy View Post
Er, Mike, you wanna have another run at that one, you sort of lost me somewhere?

CS
I think he meant "locking knob down". The Manfrotto design means the locking dips below the bottom plane of the adapter plate. On heads that have a wide enough surface, the Manfrotto design prevents the locking knob from turning because it hits the tripod head.
Old July 20th, 2011, 08:02 PM   #14
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Wilson View Post
The Manfrotto design means the locking dips below the bottom plane of the adapter plate. On heads that have a wide enough surface, the Manfrotto design prevents the locking knob from turning because it hits the tripod head.
Blimey, what does it take to kill this damn thing - a wooden spike and mallet? Silver Bullets? What?

Both of Manfrotto's adapters are fitted with their famous "pull and twist" knob levers, allowing them to be repositioned, on the fly, no tools required, in 60 degree increments all the way around the knob shaft.

As it takes less than 100 degrees to go from "lock" to "off" and vice versa, if you can't configure the knob to avoid it hitting something, you just ain't trying.

Can I bury this one now?

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2011, 12:14 AM   #15
Trustee

" you can't easily turn the locking known"

I meant "knob"! And I'm well aware you can re-position the Manfrotto lever by pulling it out.

I'll have another go at this later, I have to dash to work now. With my Sony NX70, Vinten VB and MN577 unit, it's either:

(a) The camera blocks the knob above the plate, and the Vinten blocks it below.

or

(b) I'd have to do so many crazy little quarter turns of the knob it makes it too awkward and slow to do this.

Edit:

or

(c) I'm just stupid!

(The last one is definitely an option, as always!)
Mike Beckett is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads