manfrotto quick release on a sachtler head? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads

Old July 21st, 2011, 11:07 AM   #16
Trustee

Re: manfrotto quick release on a sachtler head?

Well there you go, it was (c) after all!

It is possible, just! Another few mm and it wouldn't have been possible to do more than a 1/4 turn, but I can _just_ get a half turn on the knob and it's enough.

I do seem to recall this wasn't possible on my HMC41, which was a "fatter" camera, but I can't confirm that memory because that camera has gone far, far away.

Happy days!
Attached Thumbnails
manfrotto quick release on a sachtler head?-locked.jpg   manfrotto quick release on a sachtler head?-unlocked.jpg  

Mike Beckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2011, 05:17 PM   #17
Inner Circle

Just to show I do listen, occasionally, I've been giving my 577 adapter a pretty serious scrute and determined that, yes, it would be possible to induce a scanario where you couldn't lock/ unlock it due to immovable surfaces both above and below the lever.

The simplest (but fairly crude) solution goes like this:

1. Remove the allen headed M5 machine screw from centre of locking lever with 2.5 mm allen key. Put screw, lever and integral spring away somewhere safe.

2. Buy an 8mm tube spanner

Use that to lock/ unlock the plate lock.

3. You could get slightly more technical and decide to leave the spanner attached, which would require finding an M5 bolt of the right length and a suitable washer and passing it through the centre of the spanner into the lever shaft.

The problem with that is it will definately be a danger to shipping during setup/ knock down and may well take a terminally fatal smack.

The second easiest way to solve the problem is to stack two 577's on top of each other and set them up so the lock knobs are slightly offset so as not to collect each other OR simply put the top one on spun 180 degrees compared to the bottom one.

That will give the top lock lever more than enough clearance to swing down below whatever is on top.

If you REALLY want to get into it, you could make a 16+ mm thick block/ shim/ standoff to go between the bottom of the 577 and the tripod slide plate, but that's REALLY getting out there.

As the number of bods this applies to probably numbers single digits, I think I'll call time on that one right now.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2011, 10:15 AM   #18
Major Player

I've decided to use the sachtler plate on the tripod, and then switch back to the manfrotto plate for any other setups I want to use with my manfrotto quick release plates . it's really not a big deal...
Robert Bobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2011, 08:36 AM   #19
Major Player

I bought the sachtler tripod (it's VERY smooth!) - and the satchler camera plate actually fits in the manfrotto quick release bases!

life is good!
Robert Bobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2011, 09:19 AM   #20
Trustee

BTW, I have the FSB-6T and the 577 fit's perfectly with no issues. Love not having to change plates. And the Sachtler just rocks!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads