UWOL#6 "One Night Love" by Benjamin Durin at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old November 20th, 2007, 10:09 PM   #1
Major Player

UWOL#6 "One Night Love" by Benjamin Durin

I started with footage from a number of different things, all unrelated. The best I had was metallic birds so I started with that. But footage was not enough, I needed a shot of the moon for the story.
I then started looking for the moon but I couldn't see it for a few nights. Until this night when I briefly saw it. And the idea for looking for the moon slowly entered my mind.
And voila!

Everything was shot in natural light as you can see. Turn off the lights in your office when you are watching this one!

Also available on Youtube

Last edited by Benjamin Durin; November 20th, 2007 at 10:13 PM. Reason: Add youtube link
Benjamin Durin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2007, 03:55 AM   #2
Trustee

Benjamin,
in my mind a great piece. You got a story and (maybe) lucky to get the moon shot at the end!
Technical very well done, the way the poem took me through your piece was nicely done and the text was not disturbing in any way.

Very well done!
Old November 21st, 2007, 04:26 AM   #3
Major Player

Hi Benjamin,

Have you and Cat been collaborating :) You and Cat have come up with such similar approaches/styles - which I really enjoy.

I watched your entry a number of times and really felt it growing on me. It's a lovely piece, with a nice pace (although I felt a bit too long in some parts), nice music and lovely relaxed feel to it.

It always amazes me the way some people can apply such "non conventional" approaches and get them to work so well. I think the text approach to your story was the best approach in this instance. Good choice.

A lovely entry...well done.
David Gemmell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2007, 08:21 AM   #4
Major Player

Thanks guys, comments like are always welcome after so many doubts.
I wish I had done a better job but I am very happy to have finished an entry.
One thing is still worrying me though is how many spelling and grammar errors I made. I am French so it is also a challenge doing an entry in English.

My wife has a hard time understanding why I am losing my time doing these challenges. But each time I am finishing one, she finds what I have done more interesting. And she was happily surprised to read your very positive comments!
Old November 21st, 2007, 10:07 AM   #5
Trustee

Hi Benjamin:

Add another positive comment from me! I love your story, and yes you and I seemed to fall on a similar track on this one. I thought the way you presented your text was excellent and very well done. I loved your comment about the snail saying "are you blind...?" Wonderful!

It's also refreshing to see a bare foot in a sandal in the evening.... when so many of us are fully dressed and freezing!

What a fun film and so well executed!

Cat
Catherine Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2007, 10:19 AM   #6
Wrangler

well, you definitely stepped into our little game with a tough theme and managed to come through. this was a very sweet film.

although it went on a little long, i loved the shot of the two buffalo, great colors and very unique shot composition, for buffalo.

and again, although a little shaky (and i understand why...shooting from your POV down on the little critter), the snail shot, with the sandal, was also nicely composed...you could have fabricated the same shot with a tripod and made a slightly cleaner image.

you are very strong on composition and just need a little more work on execution...as the saying goes, the devil is in the details.

nice story, your title work was perfect, i loved the way the music related to it, a great first entry into a challenging theme. we hope to see more from you in the coming rounds....
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2007, 02:27 PM   #7
Major Player

Hi Benjamin,

This was a fun entry, and as David said, reminded me a lot of the film from Cat- both very playful and creative approaches to the theme.

I thought the music was perfect for this, and really enhanced the whole mood. So let me add another positive comment, so you are encouraged to continue with your films! This was definitely enjoyable to watch!

Ruth
Ruth Happel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2007, 07:10 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Benjamin,

First, I thought the music to be outstanding Quest music, very very nice.

I thought it was a great story of a quest. It was like it was narated to me!

A fine job, thanks for sharing your work!
Old November 21st, 2007, 07:44 PM   #9
Major Player

Cat, clouds came back last Sunday. So now I have to wear a little more than a tee-shirt but sandals are still fine. And yes I don't understand why everybody is wearing a big coat in their movies ;)

Meryem, the little critter was not so small! He was crossing the narrow path when I was going back home and he was moving fast the little monster. To tell the truth, I was afraid to lose him if I took out the tripod.

The music was made with Adobe Soundbooth. I don't have so much merit on this one, except for choosing the theme.

I will definitely come back. I will do either UWOL or DV challenges depending on my schedule. A second baby is coming in a little more than a month, this is another challenge, isn't it?
Old November 22nd, 2007, 04:17 AM   #10
Trustee

Benjamin,
Like others have said, have you been collaborating with Cat? You are both masterful story tellers! I loved your music & thought it went perfectly with your film/story.

Bryce
Bryce Comer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2007, 04:38 AM   #11
Major Player

Good little movie Benjamin
I found myself dying to find out if you found the moon,and what type of moon.Stay with us you are a great addition to the team.
John Dennis Robertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2007, 07:01 AM   #12
Trustee

Hi Benjamin.
What a great piece this was.
Very similar to Catherine's film, but still standing on it's own.
The music fits the scenes and how you put each clip together to sequences is well done. It's like a fairytale and I had no problem reading the lyric/text.
Well done.

All the best.
Geir Inge
Old November 22nd, 2007, 10:17 AM   #13
Major Player

Thanks everybody. I know my movie is not perfect but it feels warm having such comments.
Old November 22nd, 2007, 05:33 PM   #14
Inner Circle

Hi Benjamin, welcome to the uwol challenge.

I enjoyed watching your video.
As it has been commented already, some of the shots were a little bit too long, but this is details.
The text was really cool.

Stay with us in the future challenges. I'm looking forward to see more films from you.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2007, 08:52 AM   #15
Major Player

Benjamin
I seem to have a problem viewing yours. All I get is a black screen with the music playing?

Gordon Hoffman
Gordon Hoffman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge