Gibb_WildOnTheShore_UWOLLongForm - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old April 15th, 2009, 03:06 AM   #16
Major Player

You are a multi-talented artist Geir. Stunning scenery as usual - really look forward to your video - especially the Puffins!

(Your Puffins have really inspired me to visit Rhunde one day - just have to see them for myself. Judging by your comments I’m just hoping there will still be some left for me to see by the time I get there!)
Marj Atkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2009, 05:23 AM   #17
Trustee

Thank you Marj, for comments.

I think I have enough film of snow and spring for this round of ULF.
Last week I visit Runde and the Puffins was there allright.
Earlier I also did some takes of the Grey Heron, but I'm not sure if I'll use any of it.
Posting a picture of the Puffin.
The big question will be if they will manage to full fill their breeding season?

CU
Geir Inge
Attached Thumbnails
Gibb_WildOnTheShore_UWOLLongForm-lunde1.jpg  
Old May 13th, 2009, 10:52 PM   #18
Trustee

Gibb2_WildOnTheShore_UWOL Long Form_2009

Good morning to you all.
Because work and studies take most of my time I have to change my plans a bit, and make my “Wild on the shore” ULF video a journey through the area where I live. This will make it a bit easier for me in the long run, or at least I hope so.
This time I let you see some of the birds, we’re going from winter to spring and I’ve been a short trip to Runde island. Most of all I’ve been filming at Kvamsoy and Larsnes for this second round of ULF. Yes, I’ve been hiking with all my gear. Puuuh, heavy stuff, think I'm getting old :)
Maybe it would be easier to understand my video if I had put some VO to the video, but what I’m trying to show, is the time from Winter to Spring. Maybe it'll turn out to be more like a diary through the year? You’ll see a blackbird and a robin in my garden, and a stoat visiting. Just pure luck I managed to catch the stoat on tape. I guess luck is a part of being a wildlife film maker?
No VO and no singing in this round. In the final round my ULF video will have Vo.
Not sure yet, but I think I will use the music in this, ULF2 video, as theme music for my final film.
I welcome your comments on my choice of theme music and stuff :)

Link to small version here: ULF2

Link to bigger version and HD: UWOL Long Form video 2 - 2009 By Geir Inge B. Brekke On ExposureRoom

Last edited by Geir Inge; May 14th, 2009 at 05:55 AM. Reason: Link to small version of ULF2
Geir Inge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2009, 09:53 AM   #19
Trustee

Hey Geir:

Nice start with beautiful cinematography (I think it's the Norwegian trademark ;-) ). I happen to like your choice of music, and you fit the visuals nicely to it.

Those Puffins are amazingly foreign and rare for me. They simply don't look real but more like a brightly painted wood carving!

All the best. You have a great start!

Cat
Catherine Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2009, 03:16 PM   #20
Trustee

Hey Geir
Some great solid footage in this update. I really like your heron shoot, I remember you mentioning this some time ago. I also loved the sound of the Puffin coming in before the images. I actually got excited for the pictures. This WILL be the year I see my first puffins!

I'm still a little unsure about what you doing with your film, a part from showing us the beautiful Norwegian coastline of course. I'd really like to read/see or hear some more about your plans for you final film and how you are going to build the story !?

I always look forward to watching your footage!
Mat
Mat Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2009, 08:27 PM   #21
Trustee

Hi Geir,
Beautiful footage! I actually really like the music you have chosen, it's not the sort of music you would expect to hear on a nature film, but i really like it, it seems to give the visuals a bit of an edge! I like the way you cut the music in & out, but would have liked to hear more sound in the part with the herons. It seemed a little blank to me, maybe some foley would work there?? (of course it could also be my pathetic computer speakers i listened to it on!) Anyway, i totally understand that this is probably taking up much more time than you can afford at the moment with study & all, & knowing you, you will bring it all together in the end with another really great film! I am really looking forward to seeing the end film you produce as you have lots of great footage that you can blend into your story.
Regards,
Bryce
Old May 17th, 2009, 08:34 PM   #22
Major Player

Geir.. it is rare when I do not just sit quietly reflecting on what I have just seen when folks like you and Per Johan post their footage. I think to myself... this isn't a contest, it is an education! Great images.

Comments - I appreciate the focal lengths you had to go through to get the heron shots... but the heat shimmer is a distraction and I might use less of that than you would, having shot it and paid the price to get it.

Was that a weasel or a ferret? Those shots were incredible to me.. I'd slow some of them down a little where it might not be obvious, just to stretch them out. WOW.

The blackbird or ??? didn't add anything to my minds eye.

The oceanshots and high vantage pans... left me reeling.

My hat is off sir. Thank you for the education.

Chris Swanberg
Chris Swanberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2009, 05:24 AM   #23
Trustee

Hi to you all and thank you for comments.

In fact I’m not sure if I will manage to pull this LF challenge through.
My work and school take too much space at the moment and I have to focus on what’s most important, hope you all see that. I did know this when I signed up, so I’m not trying to use it as an excuse, hope you see that too :)
On the other hand I’m sooo into make my ULF and I’m too stubborn to let go, so I will try to hang on till the bitter end, even if the end result will be not that much to brag about.
Of cause I will not be able to travel as much as I planned and I have to change my plans along the way, this makes it difficult for me to write a reliable script. All the same, I will try to stick to my original plan as much as I can and that is focus on the seabirds. We’re not only talking about one species, but many and not least vulnerable species. I will try to pop in and give my comments to your films as soon as time let me and before next schedule.

Catherine:
Thank you for your comments. When it comes to music I will try to make a theme through the film. This means that I will have an opening tune that also will be as fill in music through the whole film, and an ending tune. The puffins are very cute birds and most of the people visit Runde because of the puffins. My favorite is the great skua. Maybe dull and brown, but I think a fascinating bird living a fascinating life. If you like the movie “Pirates of the Caribbean”, you have to like the great skua, chasing other seabirds and steals their pray :) It's not that I'm in to stealing or something, but you never can predict what happens around these birds. Some of them do behave quite friendly, as others quite agressive at times.

Hi Mat and thank you for constructive comments.
My intention is to make a ULF film with a mix between my 3 former UWOL shorts.
This is: UWOL3 and “Wild on the shore”, Uwol4 and “Born by the sea” and finally UWOL9 and “Seabirds”. I will draw aspects of these 3 films into my ULF film. When it comes to narration I’m not sure how to do it yet. Maybe like UWOL4, I’m just telling in the background or a mix between UWOL3 and UWOL4. I will be filming at Runde (the bird island) and at The islets of Kvamsoy. These places have a huge amount of seabirds, I know the area and where to go to find the different species. It will make it a bit easier for me, when time is short. I cannot predict what to get on tape, that’s a part of filming wild animals and birds, as you all know. I would like to sew my story together like a diary through the year or me, telling a story about my wildlife experience through the year. Hope this make sense?

Hi and thank you for your comments Bryce.
In this short I’m using original sounds and foley on the owl. I'm not sure if I'm gonna use the night sequence though. I have great sound of the heron, just wait and see :) but I’m not sure yet how much of the heron takes I will show in the final film. I will use narration in my final film, just have to figure out how to do it. Maybe I will give an example in the next round 3?

Hi Chris and thank you for your comments.
When it comes to herons, at least the Norwegians ones, they have quite a big “afraid” radius, (I’m not sure about the English words in this one, sorry), so it’s difficult to sneak into these birds. I have a hide, but didn’t use it for this filming. The weasel is a stoat or ermine and I will use it in the beginning of my ULF film as I am with the blackbird, and the great tit. I will be waiting for the winter to end, and I’m longing for the spring and summer to come. Maybe difficult to see at this stage, but I think this part of my final film is in order. At least it is in my mind, hahaha. When the narration is in box, I hope it all will make sense. There is a scene where you can see a ship far out, this is the Coaster. It goes from Bergen all the way to North Cape as a regular route throughout the year. Known by many as the world’s finest sea cruise. I will try to make a trip with this boat to one of the world’s finest fjords, The Geiranger fjord and make it a part of the film. We’ll see if time let me go.

Now back to my books about "brain and behavior".

CU
Geir Inge
Old May 20th, 2009, 03:05 PM   #24
Trustee

Geir Inge, as always nice footage you got there! It's so nice for me to sit and watch your film, because I became a bit known in your area, when I visited you in -07 (believe it or not, it's almost two years ago!)
Ok, the others have commented much of what I have in mind. And I'm not sure about the music. Would have liked more ambient sound. You should consider it in your final film, Geir Inge!

And your heron clip was very nice, good job in this one!
Old May 30th, 2009, 08:56 AM   #25
Major Player

Geir Inge,

Finally got to watch your film and what a treat it was. You live in a beautiful country. Your cinematography was top notch as usual and the music was great especially the way you stopped and started it throughout. My favorite shots were the close-ups of the birds like the tail feathers and the puffin foot etc and the opening clouds, the moon behind the trees and the final shot of the silhouetted people in the evening. Very nice…

Looking forward to more excellent footage...
Old July 23rd, 2009, 08:28 AM   #26
Trustee

Jeff:
Thank you for commenting my ULF-2 video.
Just hope I can pull this through.

Per Johan:
Thank you for commenting mys video.
About the music - I will use another piece in the final version.
I haven't been able to film as much as I thought I would, because of me being a student.
Still I've signed for Uwol 14, I must be crazy (according to my wife), haha.
This year I have 3 degree's (exam) to make, one in august, one in september and one in october.
Save me - please :)

Geir Inge
Old August 12th, 2009, 07:14 PM   #27
Trustee

ULF3-Wild On The Shore

Ok, then I have uploaded my ULF part 3.

I have decided to make my ULF video about how and why I got into wildlife videoing and my love for the wilderness/wildlife.
I will try to make it like a diary from the year 2009.
The final film will mainly consist of 3 parts, an intro, the main story and an outro.
My intro will show/tell what and who influenced me to get into wildlife video.
The main story will be about me and my adventure during the year 2009.
It will bring me to different locations showing different seabirds and animals. Last year the puffins didn’t manage to feed the chicks, because of too little food in the sea. For the last years the most of the seabirds have decreased in numbers. Mostly because of too little food and pollution caused by humans. How will the puffins manage this year is one of the big questions. I have also made an interview with the leader (president) of The Norwegian Ornithological Society (Norsk ornitologisk forening - The Norwegian Ornithological Society), or Birdlife Norway if you like. So we’ll see how my final video will come out in the end.
Never in my wildest dreams did I think that making an ULF video would be so hard.
Because, to make a wildlife video you need a whole lot of different takes/shots showing the cycle of life. When it comes to seabirds I want to have a fight, mating, breeding/eggs, chicks, feeding and leaving the nest. After this year I know see how hard it is to make a complete video. Especially if you have a full time job, school and a family to take care of and the video “thing” just as a hobby. For a man in full job that’s not easy. Ok, this ULF-3 of mine is nothing but a bunch of shots put together with some music on, so I can pass this stage of the contest. Just so I can keep my head above the water, so to speak.
It show places from Mid Norway like Runde island, The Geiranger Fjord, Kvamsoy island and some of the species.

Link: Uwol Long Form - part 3 - Wild on the shore By Geir Inge B. Brekke On ExposureRoom

Geir Inge

Last edited by Geir Inge; August 12th, 2009 at 07:55 PM.
Geir Inge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2009, 08:21 PM   #28
Major Player

Geir Inge- I like the way you have reshaped your storyline, I think it will make an interesting video. Your Round Three is fun watch with so many pretty shots and it flows well with the music. I like the shot looking over the cliff with the birds flying above the water. I can’t wait to see how the final project comes together. Best wishes.

Last edited by Mike Sims; August 12th, 2009 at 08:54 PM. Reason: spelling
Mike Sims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2009, 08:24 AM   #29
Major Player

It is a pleasure to look at your fine and relaxing video.
I really hope you will get time to finish your story.
Finn-Erik Faale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2009, 11:17 AM   #30
Trustee

Hey Geir

Life cycles studies and very tough huh ! - I've been working on my stag beetle life cycle for 2-3years now and it is the challenge of challenges for sure! I commend you for making any attempt at this with any species.

I think if I'd want to watch anyones video diary of this year it would be yours. I said before your way in front of camera has a nice 'peace' about it. However when you mentioned the puffins and there life strauggle with the falling sand Eel numbers that made me go....ahhh now thats a story in itself. This is also happening in the Uk and numbers of puffin are on the decline.

Some nice footage in your stage 3 and I really hope you can bring us a finished Runde piece....your pictures always show what a stunning place it is and I'd love to sit down to a 20 minute + story about it through your eyes.
Mat Thompson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge