Gibb_WildOnTheShore_UWOLLongForm - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old August 17th, 2009, 03:03 PM   #31
Trustee

Splendid Geir!

I know this submission is a placeholder for things to come as you take a revised direction on your video, but what a beautiful placeholder it is! You never fail to bring us a feast for the eyes and ears and fill us up with the magic of the Norwegian islands. You are bold to take on the project of covering a species full life-cycle in your video in addition to the 3 parts of your film format. Looking forward to the next round and taking a peek at your diary of wildlife filming!

Cat
Catherine Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2009, 06:33 PM   #32
Trustee

Geir, fantastic footage. Excellant color and choice of music (by the way, my wife wants the name of that tune). I almost sucked in my breath when you got that shot of leaning over the edge. And not even a safety line. The scenes toward the end where there were hundreds of birds flying by the cliff looked like a feeding frinzy. Great job, Bob
Bob Safay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2009, 08:54 PM   #33
Inner Circle

Geir,

I am finaly getting to responding to everyones work.

as usual you ahave some terrific footage! As for the Music, well, I really like it as it is!!!

Was that huge dark bird a Herring gull? or what?? it was kind of a back shot leaving the cliff.

Your compositions are great. I thought some of the images could be popped a bit more in post, but perhaps that is my monitor!!

Nice stuff!!
Old August 20th, 2009, 04:39 PM   #34
Trustee

Thank you for comments on my ULF viseo nr 3. But as Catherine says, it's a placeholder :)
Bob, the music is from Smartsound and I'm not sure aboutr the title. I can find out and tell you tomorrow.
Dale, I think the bird you refer to is the Great Skua? It's a very fasinating bird, if you ask me :)
Ok, I promised you some pictures from todays shooting and what a day it has been.
I have been in a hide all day long filming Pine Martens and what a perfermance.
This is oe of the best days in my life, when it comes to filming wild animals.
Heres 2 Pine Martens - in the wild :)
I'm not sure how to use todays shot in my ULF video though, but somehow I'll make it :)
This animal doesn't exist at Runde and if it did, it would be a disaster for the birds.
Last year we got a under sea tunnel to the main land, will the Pine Marten manage to cross the tunnel?

Geir Inge
Attached Thumbnails
Gibb_WildOnTheShore_UWOLLongForm-mar1.jpg   Gibb_WildOnTheShore_UWOLLongForm-mar2.jpg  

Old August 20th, 2009, 09:12 PM   #35
Trustee

Oh Geir!

Splendid! The photographs are amazing, I can't imagine what the film will be like! Congratulations friend. Once in awhile the hard work pays off, eh? But for you Norwegians, it's been paying off for awhile now ;-).

Work this into your film... why not? Even if it shows what a major predator the Pine Marten is for the birds.

Let's hope the tunnel is a bit too intimidating to cross.

Best,

Cat
Catherine Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2009, 01:22 PM   #36
Trustee

Geir Inge,
finally got time to watch your film part 3. Some real stunning scenes there. I liked the sequence from Geiranger fjord. The face at 0:30 was fantastic!

I cross my fingers for you. Hope you manage to finish up your story. Mikkjel Fønhus is one of my favorite writers too.
Old August 22nd, 2009, 02:49 PM   #37
Trustee

Thank you Catherine and PJ for comments on mu nr 3 video.

Catherine: yes lets hope the Pine Martens and the Fox will stay on the "right" side of the Fjord :) But in fact, the red fox have crossed an under sea tunnel a little further north of where I stay. Both the Fox and the Pine Marten do like the "underground" and it will be a disaster for the seabirds at Runde if so happens.

PJ: yes, the face in the cliff is great - of course I have to film one of the most famous fjords when it wear my name :)
I think I will use the shots from Geiranger together with the shots of the Pine Msrtens, to show what we're up against.

Here's a link to a few secconds from the: Pine Martens Wood
The best shots is not shown here. I will save them for the final film.

Thanks gain
Geir Inge
Old August 22nd, 2009, 09:39 PM   #38
Inner Circle

Geir,

I enjoyed the footage of your pine martins and other crittters!! can't wait to see the good stuff!!

How do yu even know where to go look for them???? Is it like a resident pair or such?

Keep up the great work.
Old August 23rd, 2009, 12:06 AM   #39
Trustee

Hi Geir,
Well another feast for the eyes that's for sure! I like the idea you have to change your story for the film. I think it will work very well, & am eager to see & learn about all the things you have seen & done during your filming over the last year. Unfortunately i am out of this challenge, but will continue to work on my film & hopefully i can complete it so everyone will see what i have been up to all this time.
Good luck with your film in its new form.
Bryce
Old August 29th, 2009, 05:30 AM   #40
Trustee

Thank you very much Bryce and Dale for nice comments.
Dale: Well there is a guy living near by a city called Molde and he got a hide (built one) close to where the Pine martens got their lair. He feed them with honey and they come, almost on command. I stayed for over 12 hours one day and got plenty of shots. It's allmost like an unbelievable story. It's very hard to film Pine martens in the wild, as they are always on the run hunting mice and squirrels. So, did they manage to catch the squirrel? Well, you never can tell, huh?
Bob; the tune is called "Places I've been" and it's from Sonicfire smartsounds multi layered album called "Almost Unplugged".

Geir Inge

Last edited by Geir Inge; August 29th, 2009 at 12:10 PM.
Geir Inge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2009, 05:34 AM   #41
Trustee

Hi to you all long formers :)

My plans are a bit changed since ULF started and here’s what I want to do with my film.

INTRO
Telling a bit about why I got into wildlife video making and what influences me to do so. Mainly my father, my mother, and Mikkjel Foenhus a former famous Norwegian writer.
I’ve got a couple of pictures of Mikkjel Foenhus, this will take about 30 seconds, followed up by some old Super 8 mm film (no sound) of my father, mother, my little brother John and myself on a Sunday trip to a little forrest/wood.
Together with these clips and pictures I intend to use shots taken in a Zoo earlier this summer, just a few seconds though, showing a Brown Bear and a Lynx. Then some shots of the Pine Marten taken in the wild and clips from the big forrest/woods where Mikkjel Foenhus lived and write about. I’m not sure how long this intro will take, maybe 3 to 5 minuttes. The intro will be in black and white, old film style.
In this intro my narrations will tell you why and how I got my interest in wildlife and wildlife video making.

MAIN STORY
This will consist of short stories from the area where I live, Mid West Coast of Norway. Mainly about seabirds (puffins, gulls, brown skua, eagle), otter and pine marten.
The red tread in the story will be if the puffins and other seabirds will survive, or rather will they be able to find food (fish in the sea) to feed their chicks? In between I will spice up with small stories from the area. Like the famous Geiranger Fjord, The road across the mountain of Sognefjord (from Lom to Sogndal), maybe some shots from Roeros (like The Geiranger fjord Roeros is on UNESCOs list of World Heritage). The narration will be a mix between a thoughts/dreams and real life, following me through the year. I also have done an interview with Alf Ottar Folkestad, leader/president of Birdlife Norway. Last year the islands where I live, and which Runde is a part of, got connected to the mainland by an undersea tunnel. Will the Red Fox or The Pine Marten managed to cross over and make it to Runde? Some years ago the Red fox did so and crossed the undersea tunnel from Aalesund (city) to Valderoy (islands connected by the tunnel). Will the same happen at Runde? If so it will be a disaster for the seabirds?

OUTRO/ENDING
I’m not sure about this yet, but I will try to – and here you English talking friends have to help me to pick the right English word ( or can I just say “sum it up”?): enumerate, list, numerate, specify – either with conclusions, questions or perhaps both, and this way try to end the film. My hope is that more people will love nature and wildlife after watching my video.

OK, friends – what do you think?
Please do give me some comments on this one?
What about using shots from a Zoo, I will tell so in the ending text though.

Now it’s only for me to sew it all together, right?

Last edited by Geir Inge; August 29th, 2009 at 07:00 AM.
Geir Inge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2009, 01:12 PM   #42
Inner Circle

Geir,

It all sounds just fine, good thing you have been working on the footage already as it is a going tobe a bit of a job to be certain.

I think the end should be that there is no conclusion, things just carry on anew. Yes they are and will be different, often times different than how we as people think they should be. with that in mind closing with some questions and possible direction would be rather significant.

Go for it Geir!!!!
Old September 10th, 2009, 02:05 AM   #43
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geir Inge View Post
Hi to you all long formers :)

My plans are a bit changed since ULF started and here’s what I want to do with my film. . . .

OK, friends – what do you think?
Please do give me some comments on this one?
What about using shots from a Zoo, I will tell so in the ending text though.

Now it’s only for me to sew it all together, right?
Hi Geir
My apologies for not commenting on your film last round.
Your work is always stunning and these last two rounds are no exception. Beautiful shots.
As far as your story goes, I would say you have definitely changed it for the better.

Judging by what you say here, it has a good solid structure, with some intrigue, potential dangers (for the birdlife) that need to be resolved and a number of questions that will hold the viewers’ interest. I like the idea that it will be your own personal adventure as this will certainly strengthen the story and pull everything together neatly.

Very nice Geir - I can see a well crafted piece in the making here and really look forward to watching the final outcome - really hope you can squeeze it into your already tight schedule.

Marj
Marj Atkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2009, 12:35 PM   #44
Trustee

Hi Marj and Dale and thank you very much for comments/feedback.

Geir Inge
Old September 13th, 2009, 12:41 PM   #45
Trustee

Ulf-4

Because our nr 4 schedule crashes with one of my exam, I have to upload an ULF 4 entry now.
I know I have been changing my plans more than once, and friends - here I go again :)
I think I will use the title ”Seabirds” for my final entry and not ”Wild on the shore”.
What do you think about that my friends?
After ULF is done I will ”rewind” and change parts of my final film/entry,
as I want to use old shots from my earlier Uwol videos.
I have a lots of shots and scenes from shooting Uwol 3 (Wild on the shore) and Uwol 4 (Born by the sea) that I want to use in my final film. Especially some canoe scenes from Uwol 4.
Hopefully I then can make a mini series for television, at least that’s what I’m aiming for.

Ok, here’s my ULF 4 entry and if time let me,
I will try to make some more out of it towards the ULF 4 deadline in October.
Also I have desided to use the music you hear in this entry.

Vimeo link: Seabirds (english intro) on Vimeo

Feel free to give me your comments :)
Geir Inge

Last edited by Geir Inge; September 13th, 2009 at 12:42 PM. Reason: title entry
Geir Inge is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge