Complaints about your logo? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old October 30th, 2008, 05:46 AM   #16
Inner Circle

personal preference on all my material (not weddings) is that logos go at the end. I would (if it was my wedding video) like to see nothing but wedding at the start - I'd not be worried about the logo and production credits at the end - after all, I'd probably have switched off by then. Apart from movies, it's rare to see logos at the start. How many TV programmes do you see with the production company visible at the beginning? I too can see how the logo could be seen as out of context.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2008, 06:56 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Mine always appears at the end of any credits. Never had a complaint. You can view mine here: YouTube - MotionOne Studios
Vince Lucena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2008, 07:37 AM   #18
Trustee

I don't put my logo on wedding videos. Seems kind of pointless, I already got their money. My contact info is on the back of the DVD case, but that's more so they know who to call for additional copies, or if someone asks "Who made your video?" People pay me good money, they don't want to see a commercial or a self-serving pat on the back for the editor.
Chris Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2008, 07:46 AM   #19
Regular Crew

My logo animation can be seen here: http://www.youtube.com/playsockfilms .
Adam Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2008, 07:59 AM   #20
Regular Crew

I didn't make the logo. I had a friend of mine make it for me. It's already printed on my business cards (which have already been distributed), so it's kind of too late for me to change it. I've been using it without a problem for about a year. Nobody has complained or said anything about it until recently, which I find very puzzling.

To be honest, I find the whole thing to be incredibly irritating when I hear somebody bitch about an animated logo (which is only SIX SECONDS LONG) which plays at both the beginning and the very end of a wedding video (which itself can be anywhere between 45 minutes to about 2 hours long). A recent client of mine complained about it (even though the contract - which HE wrote - had clearly and explicitly gave me his permission for it to be there).
Old October 30th, 2008, 08:42 AM   #21
Inner Circle

Adam,

The client is 'always right' - if possible remove the animation from their product. You've got their money, you want their goodwill. Word of mouth is priceless.

I'd advise only putting a logo at the end of the piece.

And yeah, the position of the dog is rather suggestive. I understand how easy it is to get attached to our logos - since they represent a form of branding and 'corporate identity'. Changing or removing identities is always a form of 'ego death' - and painfull to endure.

My suggestion is to have another go at the image, try a different take on it from another illustration angle.

Or not.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2008, 09:37 AM   #22
Major Player

Hi Miraj, no logo or promotion at all??? If the client likes their movie they give the disk to all their friends and relatives. Some of our clients have them doing the rounds so we use it as promotion. Our cases are just blank really as its those padded ones, the disk itself has our logo on as does the movie so everyone knows who created it.

I also feel it adds to the production. No complaints, we get cross promotion.
Old October 30th, 2008, 10:09 AM   #23
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Alvarez View Post
Adam,

The client is 'always right' - if possible remove the animation from their product. You've got their money, you want their goodwill. Word of mouth is priceless.

I'd advise only putting a logo at the end of the piece.

And yeah, the position of the dog is rather suggestive. I understand how easy it is to get attached to our logos - since they represent a form of branding and 'corporate identity'. Changing or removing identities is always a form of 'ego death' - and painfull to endure.

My suggestion is to have another go at the image, try a different take on it from another illustration angle.

Or not.
1) The client is never "always right".

2) I own a Jack Russell Terrier puppy. He likes to play with rolled up pairs of socks, and sometimes he wants for me to chase him while he's playing with them. Hence, the name of my videography business, "Playsock Films". When he does this, he sticks his ass up in the air (just like other dogs when they want to play), which is why the dog in the logo is in that position. Are all of you suggesting that when my little Jack Russell Terrier is playing with me, and sticks his ass up in the air like that, that he... uh ... wants me to give him a bone?

Get your minds out of the gutter, people. That's disgusting!
Old October 30th, 2008, 10:33 AM   #24
Major Player

I don't think our minds are 'in the gutter.' The reality is that your logo is a dog... with his ass literally in the air.

Now if I'm a chick and have been married for almos 7 weeks and you deliver my beautiful wedding DVD and me and the hubby go to watch it... I don't want the first thing I see to be a dog with his hind quarters saluting the sun.

'Beautiful video! But the dog's rear-end really killed it for me.'

I don't think it's appropriate for a *wedding video.*
Blake Cavett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2008, 11:07 AM   #25
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny O'Neill View Post
Hi Miraj, no logo or promotion at all??? If the client likes their movie they give the disk to all their friends and relatives. Some of our clients have them doing the rounds so we use it as promotion. Our cases are just blank really as its those padded ones, the disk itself has our logo on as does the movie so everyone knows who created it.

I also feel it adds to the production. No complaints, we get cross promotion.
You're totally right, we just haven't gotten around to it...
Miraj A. Berry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2008, 11:10 AM   #26
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Barker View Post
1) The client is never "always right".

2) I own a Jack Russell Terrier puppy. He likes to play with rolled up pairs of socks, and sometimes he wants for me to chase him while he's playing with them. Hence, the name of my videography business, "Playsock Films". When he does this, he sticks his ass up in the air (just like other dogs when they want to play), which is why the dog in the logo is in that position. Are all of you suggesting that when my little Jack Russell Terrier is playing with me, and sticks his ass up in the air like that, that he... uh ... wants me to give him a bone?

Get your minds out of the gutter, people. That's disgusting!
All dogs do this. But the way the dog's front legs are splayed is a little interesting. Plus, the dog's back looks almost human. Not sure about your Jack Russell, but my German shepherd's back doesn't have a groove in it like a person's back.

I think that's what might be attributing to the raised eyebrows...
Miraj A. Berry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2008, 12:12 PM   #27
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miraj A. Berry View Post
Plus, the dog's back looks almost human.
This is the problem I have with the picture. When I loaded the page, it came up in a minimized screen and all I could see was the back and rear-end... and let me tell you, take the head out of the picture and it becomes very provocative.
Dawn Brennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2008, 12:29 PM   #28
Inner Circle

If your client has a problem with you logo - then you have a problem with it. Hence 'the clients always right' -the age old 'customers always correct' addage. IF they have a problem with your product or services -however bizarre or off the wall it might seem - then its worth looking at WHY?

Is it a one-off problem? Does it come up consistently or intermittently? Other people on this board see issues with the logo... so it's not an unusual perception.

Your choice is to not conceed to the clients request - and risk bad word of mouth from a disgruntled client. Or conceed in at least one case, and get good word of mouth.

Did you post looking for input or re-enforcement? Not a harrangue, just a question. I get the idea that the logo has personal connotations, and signifigance to you PERSONALLY - it has absolutely NONE of those connotations for a client. An 'inside joke' or reference is called inside for a reason. If you want a more easily identifiably 'universal' connection to a playful puppy - I suggest a logo redesign.

If you have to explain your logo - then people don't 'get it'.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2008, 12:42 PM   #29
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Alvarez View Post
If your client has a problem with you logo - then you have a problem with it. Hence 'the clients always right' -the age old 'customers always correct' addage. IF they have a problem with your product or services -however bizarre or off the wall it might seem - then its worth looking at WHY?

Is it a one-off problem? Does it come up consistently or intermittently? Other people on this board see issues with the logo... so it's not an unusual perception.

Your choice is to not conceed to the clients request - and risk bad word of mouth from a disgruntled client. Or conceed in at least one case, and get good word of mouth.

Did you post looking for input or re-enforcement? Not a harrangue, just a question. I get the idea that the logo has personal connotations, and signifigance to you PERSONALLY - it has absolutely NONE of those connotations for a client. An 'inside joke' or reference is called inside for a reason. If you want a more easily identifiably 'universal' connection to a playful puppy - I suggest a logo redesign.

If you have to explain your logo - then people don't 'get it'.
Ditto.
Couldnt have said it better myself.
Jack Tran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2008, 12:46 PM   #30
Major Player

what I see in the logo at a glance: picture your logo for a second with no tail, fingers at the end of the front paws, and a female face in place of the nose. the ears looks like long hair. maybe even picture some restraints on the front legs/arms..... the body of the dog looks to me like a naked females body. to see it at the beginning of a wedding video could be inappropriate. It might be a perfectly innocent logo, and its being misinterpreted by us perverts. point is, you have unhappy customers. it reminds me of my first email address. I was a new uncle when I signed up, so I called myself uncleallen@aol.com. I saw no problem in the name at all, until about the 20th person told me that at a first glance it looked like "unclean@aol.com". I finally changed the email address to something that can not appear as anything other than what I intended.
I like your logo, I think its really cute. I love dogs, I see them in that pose all the time. that doesn't change what can be seen in a glance.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques