Complaints about your logo? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old October 29th, 2008, 08:56 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Complaints about your logo?

Have you ever had a bride complain about your logo and/or your usage of it within a wedding video?
Adam Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2008, 09:22 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Nope

I have never had anyone complain, but I only use in the menus as a tiny text and at the very end of the video I put my logo. I try to keep it to a minimum
Dawn Brennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2008, 09:24 PM   #3
Trustee

Your logo is on during the entire wedding video??
Warren Kawamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2008, 09:31 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Kawamoto View Post
Your logo is on during the entire wedding video??
No. My logo is not on during the entire wedding video. It is a quick, 6-second-long animation, which plays both at the very beginning (before the actual wedding video itself begins), and at the very end (after the end credits).
Adam Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2008, 11:41 PM   #5
Wrangler

Adam,

Is your logo the dog with a sock? If it is, I can see how a wedding customer might misinterpret the logo and find it inappropriate.
Old October 30th, 2008, 12:07 AM   #6
Tourist

I have to think... that a new bride is really interested in seeing a wonderful production of (at this point) the most important day of her life.

I would fade up from black to a shot of the festivities... the church/location, a bible with flowers... a CU of their hands with the wedding rings showing... anything to establish the beginning of the memories that your video will provide the couple for a lifetime. Anything more than title of the occasion would have to be a distraction...

I personally would wait to the end to use any logo... so that would be the last thing any (other) viewers would see, and hopefully the first thing they would remember... especially if they may be in, or know someone who might be in, the market for such a video in the future...

My opinion only... don't take anything personally...

Good luck...!!!
Old October 30th, 2008, 12:11 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Um, I dunno, but my bad/blurry late night vision definitely got a different vibe off the "doggy" logo... use your imagination, but I wasn't seeing a dog... maybe it wasn't intended, but I was expecting a cute warm fuzzy puppy playing with a sock, and that wasn't what I got...

Triumph the insult comic dog (Conan O'Brien) is more ambiguous. Not sure who did the logo, but it's a bit risque if you ask me, and I can see how a bride of genteel sensibilities might take offense. Not sure what you mean by "animation", but it could make the issue better or worse... if you just have a short shot of the logo, it might even make it worse as the mind plays tricks...

That's my take, FWIW. If you didn't intend the "double entendre" in the image, my appologies. but I can certainly see the problem. Or am I hallucinating? Anyone else get the same thing??
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2008, 12:19 AM   #8
Wrangler

Yea I see it too. That logo can very easily be misinterpreted in an very inappropriate way.
Old October 30th, 2008, 12:29 AM   #9
Major Player

in all fairness to everyone, can you post the animated logo? we are judging from the website picture, and yes, it can be misinterpreted.
Old October 30th, 2008, 01:27 AM   #10
Regular Crew

We always use our logo at the end of the film and have never heard anything negative from any of our clients. I can't imagine why anyone would complain though - they're used to seeing credits at the end of a film, why should this be any different?

I wouldn't give it a second thought - pop your logo in at the end! :)
Old October 30th, 2008, 02:00 AM   #11
Regular Crew

This is not the time to be shy about who you are. I say put your name/logo up there at the beginning. I present mine like a move in that I show my logo/name and then during the music intro, I through it up there again.
Tim Harjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2008, 02:18 AM   #12
Inner Circle

OK guys, before commenting, check the link on Adam's post - it goes to the website with the logo in question (or at least I presume that's the logo in question). Not sure if there's additional animation on the logo when on the final product, but I could see it getting worse not better...

Thanks Michael, at least I'm not completely crazy that the logo could easily go the wrong way... I'm hoping that it's an "innocent" thing that no one ever noticed, but I've worked with enough artists in my day to know there's often more to "art" than first meets the eye, and that seems to be the case with the logo in question. I personally wouldn't be comfortable with the "logo" and the connotation that could go with it as drawn.

How did Jessica Rabbit put it? I'm not bad, I'm just drawn that way...
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2008, 03:50 AM   #13
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Blackhurst View Post
How did Jessica Rabbit put it? I'm not bad, I'm just drawn that way...
Perfect quote in this situation. I checked out the siite after reading these posts to see how in the world a dog logo could be suggestive and I laughed so hard it hurt. I don't know if I would have noticed anything funny about it if someone hadn't brought it up, but now that you mention it...

If you're focusing soley on wedding, a dog playing with a sock might not be the best logo anyway even without his... umm... posturing.

-Ethan Cooper
Ethan Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2008, 03:52 AM   #14
Major Player

We always have our logo at the start and at the end too. Same as our highlight vids.

Normally logo fades up, music starts and logo fades out, similar to how most movies start. I dont like how some movies have about 5 or 6 logos and intros from the various studios, production firms, partners, lottery funding etc.

However, all that said. I can see how adams dog logo can be seen in the wrong light.

We changed our logo as the slippers used to be a more traditional, old man pair of slippers and the impact has been quite good. I would consider a re-design to make the logo a bit more weddingy. I think you will be amazed at how much of a difference it can make.

Part of your brand is how it makes people feel. Brides love those who are called Angels, Everafter, forever together and other things which make them feel like their day is even more magical or makes them feel like their wedding will last forever. Its all about image.

How do they feel about the name Mintyslippers? Not sure, I know they find it curious and intresting but unfortunatly GlassSlipper.com was already taken.
Old October 30th, 2008, 05:34 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny O'Neill View Post
How do they feel about the name Mintyslippers? Not sure, I know they find it curious and intresting but unfortunatly GlassSlipper.com was already taken.
If only my slippers smelled minty...

I'm a lady, probably within the marrying age (25) and to be honest, I'd probably be inclined to be into a puppy with a sock as a brand image if it was a cute puppy, like people have mentioned.

The logo looks a bit like an adult dog...possibly about to engage in adult activities...but make it like a Golden Retriever or something with a spot, and fuzzy...shaking a sock around...my heart might melt...it may even work as a quick opening and closing logo for a wedding video.

Adam, did the bride say specifically what she didn't like about it? Was it the "self-promotion" thing, or that the video is about them, not you, or did she find it suggestive. If it's the latter, I'd honestly act like your innocent mind could never distort the image of a puppy into anything like that ;) And then apologize and take it out if it makes her feel better.

We don't put our logo in the video or our name. Or on any of the final packaging really (other than including some business cards) and probably should. We've floated around the idea of adding it to the videos, but are still working out our logo.
Miraj A. Berry is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques