Adding a steadicam to my pricing at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old November 5th, 2008, 12:42 AM   #1
Major Player

Adding a steadicam to my pricing

Hi guys

i am thinking of adding a steadicam pilot to my packages but only as an extra to begin with. How much extra could you ask to use it for the day. Or should i price it per section eg.
(Grooms prep, brides prep. ceremony, location, reception)

any thoughts

Rob
Robert Bec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2008, 12:50 AM   #2
Major Player

I dont' charge extra for it, as I feel like having it adds to the quality of the video, and I don't want to loose quality of the video because they may or may not be willing to pay for it. So I bring it for all my videos.
Louis Maddalena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2008, 01:13 AM   #3
Inner Circle

It could be different by market, but my guess is that if you try to have it as an add-on you won't get much interest in it. Brides aren't interested in equipment .. but results are a different thing. I would just start including it on all of your packages and upgrade your package prices to fit.
Old November 5th, 2008, 01:25 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Cossel View Post
It could be different by market, but my guess is that if you try to have it as an add-on you won't get much interest in it. Brides aren't interested in equipment .. but results are a different thing. I would just start including it on all of your packages and upgrade your package prices to fit.
Agreed. I can't wait to get one and start using it in all of our weddings. You don't want to miss out on great promotional footage just because a bride didn't see the value of an added piece of equipment. Plus, the more you use it, the better off you will be. Rack up those "experience points"
Tim Harjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2008, 03:30 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:

For a piece of equipment thats going to cost me $6500 thats australia dollars i guess how much would you up your packages 2,3,4 or 500 dollars
We are in an expensive industry

Rob
Robert Bec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2008, 03:59 AM   #6
Major Player

Lot of non video people don't even know what a 3CCD camera is so it would be hard sell to tell them you also use a steadicam,. I find you have to sell your final product and include all costs in your pricing.

People have to see the value and most times they won`t see that having "flying" shots will be more of a value. But once they see a finished product and the variety of shots and great edit which combines to an emotionally engaging experience, they will want you to film their wedding regardless of how many lights, steadicams, dof adapters you use which the clients don't care about, they just want a great video.

Btw if you want a better price then what you quoted, just shoot me an email.
Peter Szilveszter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2008, 04:04 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Brides aren't interested in equipment
I see some videographers in Belgium displaying their camera and even their editing software on their sites but I'm also sure brides don't care what you use and they certainly don't want to pay extra for it.
I would also just use the steadycam and raise my prizes a bit, sure it will take some time to earn that extra investment back but it will add more creativity to your productions and that might result in more requests for video.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2008, 04:16 AM   #8
Major Player

If it were me (and hopefully will be before long) I would ask myself: If I were just buying this for me, and I put it on my credit card, how many payments would I end up making (not including interest)? Take the amount you come up with and divide it between your 1 or 2 best selling packages. So in USD, if I spend $2000 for equipment, and I figure it will take 18 months to pay off, then my payments would be $111. Add $55 to my top 2 packages and I should have it paid off in no time.
Old November 5th, 2008, 09:36 AM   #9
Major Player

Some brides, NOT ALL, only *think* they're interest in the equipment. Why? Because the bridal magazines are constantly telling them what to look for in a wedding videographer. They read that a '3 chip' camera is a must... but don't know what it is & are basically inquiring about it because the magazine says to.

But an expensive '3 chip' camera in the hands of an unexperienced and green operator versus a $400 handycam being used by a skilled professional, well... the brides would quickly see that it's not all about the equipment.

On that note... I wouldn't list your equipment as a selling point. You and your work should be the selling point.
Blake Cavett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2008, 10:09 AM   #10
Regular Crew

A lot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Bec View Post
For a piece of equipment thats going to cost me $6500 thats australia dollars i guess how much would you up your packages 2,3,4 or 500 dollars
We are in an expensive industry

Rob
You could start by raising them 200 bucks then as you get better and your videos get better then raise 'em again...and again if needed.
Josh Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2008, 10:21 AM   #11
Major Player

I recommend planning equipment purchases every year and working that into your price. Figure out what you're going to need to replace, upgrade, or purchase for the next twelve months and then consider it another cost of doing business, like printer ink or paperclips. Like other's have said, no-one is going to pay extra for you to use a stabilizer, but they will pay for quality work, and if the equipment will help you achieve quality work then you will be able to raise your prices and pay for it that way.
Matthew Craggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2008, 10:25 AM   #12
Major Player

Agree with all of the above. The thing I would find hard is having this piece of equipment which can really add value and quality to your product and can you seriously say to yourself...

"I know I have it, but Im not going to use it as they didnt pay". If I have a tool I can use, im going to use it.

Think of it like a tripod, would you charge extra for using a tripod? It can give you an edge over your competition, no one will ever pay for it.
Old November 5th, 2008, 01:17 PM   #13
Trustee

Quote:
i am thinking of adding a steadicam pilot to my packages but only as an extra to begin with.
I don't think you'll have any interest. Either buy it and always use it, or don't. As a client, I expect you to shoot steady shots. I don't care if you do it with a $4,000 Steadicam or a $500 tripod or $10 worth of PVC pipe.
Chris Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2008, 11:16 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Quote:
Hi guys

i am thinking of adding a steadicam pilot to my packages but only as an extra to begin with. How much extra could you ask to use it for the day. Or should i price it per section eg.
(Grooms prep, brides prep. ceremony, location, reception)

any thoughts

Rob
I don't think anyone will pay more for a piece of equipment if you frame it that way in your sales meeting. My feeling is that you need to decide if you want to invest in the Steadicam for your business and start incorporating it and then charging accordingly b/c the production value of your film will be increased, assuming you can operate it properly. The B&G just want a nice film that feels professional and well-produced and since I would argue that the Steadicam (or Glidecam) can do help do this for a film then you can likely raise your prices without having to try to explain a piece of equipment to the client.
Old November 7th, 2008, 07:42 PM   #15
Major Player

Yeah, what he said!

Plus, what if the couple watches their DVD and come back and say, 'I only saw 6 or 7 shots with the steadicam. I paid how much extra for those shots?! That's it?!'
Blake Cavett is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques