Wireless Audio at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old July 15th, 2011, 06:19 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Wireless Audio

Hi Guys,

Posted in Audio section, but the specific info i'm looking for is from wedding event users.

I'm looking at getting the EW 112 G3 GB, which runs off frequency range 606 - 614. I've confirmed with Sennheiser Ireland, and this covers the new channel 38, which is replacing the legacy 69 (i think).

My dilemma, is that i understand i may need a licence to use above frequency range (606 - 614).

On the contrary, i understand 863 - 865 Mhz band, will continue to be licence free after the migration in 2012, but audio quality can no be guaranteed.

Could someone advise what is best practice, and if licences are the norm. I've no problem buying the above product is so, but if the licence free range (863 - 865) or channel 70 would be suffice for wedding purposes, then there might be an alternative, and cheaper wireless system, that i should be using.

Thanks,

Joe
Joe Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2011, 07:31 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Wireless Audio

Hey Joe

I think that all depends on your area's telecommunication rules and regulations!!

In Australia I haven't seen anything to say a licence is needed (so far) My Azdens are in the 794 to 805mhz band and because they only emit 25mw or less they are licence free!! I know Korea only allow transmitters to emit an RF power of 10mw!!!

Check locally first and make sure you buy for your region in Ireland/UK ..you might have an issue if you bring them in from the USA and Ireland are using those bands for something else!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2011, 05:35 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Thompson View Post
Hi Guys,

Posted in Audio section, but the specific info i'm looking for is from wedding event users.

I'm looking at getting the EW 112 G3 GB, which runs off frequency range 606 - 614. I've confirmed with Sennheiser Ireland, and this covers the new channel 38, which is replacing the legacy 69 (i think).

My dilemma, is that i understand i may need a licence to use above frequency range (606 - 614).

On the contrary, i understand 863 - 865 Mhz band, will continue to be licence free after the migration in 2012, but audio quality can no be guaranteed.

Could someone advise what is best practice, and if licences are the norm. I've no problem buying the above product is so, but if the licence free range (863 - 865) or channel 70 would be suffice for wedding purposes, then there might be an alternative, and cheaper wireless system, that i should be using.

Thanks,

Joe
Hey Joe,

I bought some new equipment at the beginning of the year, including am EW 100 G3 kit. I didn't know anything about different frequency ranges or any of that.

When I got it, I realised that I couldn't tap directly into any of the hotel's wireless systems as I was given a GB kit (606 - 648) and they all use version E (863-865). I learned this by asking questions in the audio thread. Here it is:

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-thin...2-uhf-vhf.html

Post number 4 gave me a lot of info. I wondered why a company in the UK would send me a kit that's illegal here in Ireland, but from what you are saying; Ireland will be moving across to this GB frequency? Or did I pick you up wrong?

I'm hoping this is the case as I only realised I was sold an illegal kit months after I recieved it and I doubt they would do anything about it now.
Ronan O'Conghaile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2011, 03:02 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Hey Ronan,

I wouldn't quote me on that, as i'm just getting a feel for all things audio at the minute, but have purchased an EW 112 G3 GB, so hoping advice giving is correct.

Got some further info here which may help ...

http://www.comreg.ie/_fileupload/pub...mReg0808R1.pdf
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-thin...er-112-g3.html

I was advised by Sennheiser to buy the G3 GB model which has the new frequency range (606 - 614), and to steer away from the E model, because of the migration away from channel 38 in 2012. Although channel 70 will remain licence free, there is a concern of added interference on this channel, so wasn't sure if it would have been suitable for clean professional use.

The other concern i had, was the fact that it specified a licence was needed to operate on 606 - 614, but section 2.2.2 of the comreg pdf above, is helpful in this regard.

It is a concern though, if venues are still using Version E
Old July 18th, 2011, 03:58 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks Joe. Good the hear that I should be able to use it legally; just a shame that venues will probably stick to the old frequencies. Guess I'll have to stick with the shotgun mic on a stand for a while longer!

I wonder if you'd know anything about a problem I had; the first wedding I did after I got the kit, I sellotaped my wireless mic to the hotel's wireless mic. That way, the speaker would be talking directly into my mic as well. However, when she spoke, the hotel sound system kept cutting out. They blamed it on my equipment. Do you think my GB would do that to a venue's wireless system?

I've attached my wireless mic to plenty of hotels' WIRED mics, and it hasn't caused a problem; so I'm thinking my GB gear really is causing interference.
Ronan O'Conghaile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2011, 04:06 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Hi Ronan,

I havn't captured a wedding yet, and just learning like yourself, so probably the wrong person to be responding with thoughts.

I am due to capture my first wedding in 2 weeks time, a family wedding, and if it wasn't for the fact that audio is 70% of any good DVD, i'd be really confident. I have a Video mic pro, H4N, and a wireless lav set (which may not be compatible) with current venue setup, and alot to learn with these.

But getting back to your problem, I've never heard of this being down before, but would be concerned about clean sound. I'd probably play safe for my first, & place a Zoom H4N on the table in front of them as standalone recorder, and/or put the lav in front of speakers, with input levels turned down, or hidden in flowers perhaps near the speakers, & on the person was not an option, but like I said, I do not claim to be an expert, and stand to be corrected.

I'll be going through same dilemma's as you shortly, but didn't factor cellotape as a gear bag essential .... maybe i should :-)
Old July 19th, 2011, 04:22 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Black insulation tape is a life-saver:) I've used it at some point or another at every wedding I've shot so far.

Also, get a hold of a good hiking belt or security belt with lots of pouches. I carry around so much stuff when shooting a wedding (spare tapes, CF cards, SDHC cards, tape, AA batteries, camera batteries, Zoom H2, pocket knife, flashlight etc.) I bought two security belts from ebay and mixed and matched the pouches and pockets to suit my needs. Now I can carry all that stuff easily and don't have to worry about leaving anything behind.
Ronan O'Conghaile is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques