LCD TV Preview Monitor Setup Question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old September 24th, 2007, 11:25 PM   #1
Trustee

LCD TV Preview Monitor Setup Question

Was wondering how to set up a preview monitor with a HDMI interface. I think most of us editing on HDV are using 2 monitors now but somehow the colour space can never be accurate. Is the only way to use a Blackmagic Card via HDMI to preview uncompressed video?

I used to make use of a DV camera as a bridge for preview on a small CRT TV. But now i use a dual dvi GPU for preview on the 2nd monitor but seems like only a 24" LCD can preview an unscaled image.

Blakc Magic Intensity- Seems like a solution i'm looking for.. quite affordable as well but I'm not sure what the feature about uncompressed capturing means. Does this include playback from a mini tape recorded in HDV? What is this so called uncompressed image?

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/intensity/
Sean Seah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2007, 02:18 PM   #2
Major Player

Sean, the intensity card will work for the purpose. I had one for a few days and returned it without using it. It will allow you to view your output on an HD monitor via HDMI. It also has RCA outputs.
However the only way to capture uncompressed is live capture. If you shoot to tape they claim it will "upscale" your HD footage back to 1440 x1080 but once you shoot to tape as you know its MPEg compression
John Cash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2007, 11:46 AM   #3
Trustee

thank u for yr confirmation John! So it is as i suspected, the capture portion isnt realli of use to me as I do not do much live capturing. The HDMI output definately helps but I would still need another main GPU.. Prob a nice setup would be a Dual DVI output GPU with 2 x22" LCD for editing.. and a 32" LCD TV for preview work hoo hoo!

So y did u return it?? Just out of interest? I was kinda worried it wouldnt work with Vegas..
Sean Seah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2007, 03:52 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Seah View Post
thank u for yr confirmation John! So it is as i suspected, the capture portion isnt realli of use to me as I do not do much live capturing. The HDMI output definately helps but I would still need another main GPU.. Prob a nice setup would be a Dual DVI output GPU with 2 x22" LCD for editing.. and a 32" LCD TV for preview work hoo hoo!

So y did u return it?? Just out of interest? I was kinda worried it wouldnt work with Vegas..
The HDMI capture may be of use to you for certain types of unprotected content (HD news channels?), but I haven't tried it yet as I bought the card before buying a computer with PCI Express. Some cable DVRs allow an easy output to Firewire for unprotected content, but it you don't have one, HDMI capture is probably not too messy.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...