Sony Vegas tech supprt at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old December 17th, 2007, 01:25 PM   #1
New Boot

Sony Vegas tech supprt

This is the current dialogue I'm having.

Can anyone else help, because Sony Creative don't seem to be able to.

Quote:
Customer (Neil Cooper) 12/05/2007 07:44 AM
I purchased the SVMS + DVD Platinum 8 after I was impressed with using the downloaded trial version. I purchased it way before the trial ended & have activated the software using the serial number etc supplied in the box. My question is - from memory the trial version was about 80MB. Is the boxed (CD-ROM) version the same size? What I'm concerned about is that the trial version I downloaded might not have all the functionality, tools or plugins that came with the boxed product. Should I uninstall my product & reinstall using the boxed (CD-ROM) product?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Customer (Neil Cooper) 12/17/2007 12:26 PM
Thanks for the clarification that the only publishing provider available from the publish button is ACIDplanet.It is disappointing though because the Help file clearly says that when you click publish you will be asked to 'choose your publishing provider'. I know because I checked it again. I've attached a screen shot of the relevant section.

This one-click publishing to the net is a feature that attracted me to SVMS. When it only allowed publishing ACIDplanet from the trial version , I assumed that the ability to choose from other publishing providers was a functionality switched off in that trial version. Apparently it's not.

I was hoping you'd clarify my question about the comparative program sizes too. Specifically the apparent 113 MB difference.

File Attachments
• Help Screen Shot From SVMS8.bmp
Below is a jpeg version of the screen-shot I just sent him of the help dialog he believes is non-existent.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y29...tFromSVMS8.jpg

Maybe someone here can answer my questions more clearly. Probably a LOT quicker too.
Neil Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2007, 01:31 PM   #2
Major Player

Does the boxed version come with other software? Is the trial download zipped?
Kit Hannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2007, 01:40 PM   #3
Sponsor: JET DV

The trial and full versions are exactly the same. If you installed the trial and activated the trial, you have ALL of the full version.

Remember that the 80meg file has many COMPRESSED files inside it. Once those files are decompressed and put on the hard drive, they will take up more than 80 meg of space - possibly around 200 meg!

Plus, all the files are first copied to an install folder which takes some space as well.

Don't worry - you have the full thing.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2007, 01:41 PM   #4
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kit Hannah View Post
Does the boxed version come with other software? Is the trial download zipped?

Good points.

I can't remember if the trial was zipped. I haven't opened up the boxed version's disc yet as going by Caleb's info, I didn't need to. In any case, when the box says that SVMS8 needs 200 MB of of space, surely it's only referring to the program itself.
Old December 17th, 2007, 01:44 PM   #5
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Troxel View Post
The trial and full versions are exactly the same. If you installed the trial and activated the trial, you have ALL of the full version.

Remember that the 80meg file has many COMPRESSED files inside it. Once those files are decompressed and put on the hard drive, they will take up more than 80 meg of space - possibly around 200 meg!

Plus, all the files are first copied to an install folder which takes some space as well.

Don't worry - you have the full thing.
Thanks Edward. Can I call you Ed?

Much quicker & clearer than tech support!

Can you shed any light on the 'choose your publishing provider' dialog in SVMS8 help? Why does it lie so blatantly? :)
Old December 17th, 2007, 02:41 PM   #6
Sponsor: JET DV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Cooper View Post
Thanks Edward. Can I call you Ed?
I go by Edward and my friends call me Edward. Those who don't know better call me Ed. Take your choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Cooper View Post
Can you shed any light on the 'choose your publishing provider' dialog in SVMS8 help? Why does it lie so blatantly? :)
I honestly don't know why the help file would state "Choose a publishing provider" when only one is supported. Maybe they planned on supporting others but simply haven't done so yet. Personally, I just render out to the appropriate format(s) and FTP it up to my personal website adding links as appropriate. No need to rely on anyone else that way.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2007, 02:49 PM   #7
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Troxel View Post
I go by Edward and my friends call me Edward. Those who don't know better call me Ed. Take your choice.

I honestly don't know why the help file would state "Choose a publishing provider" when only one is supported. Maybe they planned on supporting others but simply haven't done so yet. Personally, I just render out to the appropriate format(s) and FTP it up to my personal website adding links as appropriate. No need to rely on anyone else that way.
Thanks again Edward, both for your answer & your patience with my newbiness.
Neil Cooper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...