SD Card for Vegas? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old January 31st, 2009, 05:52 PM   #1
Regular Crew

SD Card for Vegas?

Hi,
I am interested in purchasing a Helmet Cam which uses an SD card DVR. Is there any way that Vegas can import my video? If not, do you have any suggestions of how I could? Thanks, Ray
P.S. The following link is what I'm looking at;
Product Listing -
Ray Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2009, 06:42 PM   #2
Inner Circle

We use SD cards in the EX1/EX3. You just need to get your computer to mount the SD card as a drive. Simple as that.
Old January 31st, 2009, 07:19 PM   #3
Major Player

Most good electronics stores will carry a USB plug in adapter that lets you mount SD, Compact Flash etc and the computer will see them as an attached drive... as Perrone says, pretty simple, and these days they cost around $20 give or take.
Chris Swanberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2009, 07:18 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Hi,
Thanks for the great input. I purchased a reader and all works fine. As always I appreciate all your help! Ray
Old February 2nd, 2009, 10:07 AM   #5
Trustee

That "Mini DVR" looks exactly like an Aitpek camcorder, except for the price tag. The Aiptek 720p sell for about $129; the 1080p goes for around $179. Thes accessories look pretty cool however.
Old February 2nd, 2009, 04:24 PM   #6
Major Player

The product for which you included the link does indeed look an awful lot like an Aiptek Flash-based camcorder. One thing that jumps out at me is the fact that it only records at 30P. Anything with a lot of motion, like footage typically shot with a helmet-cam, is going to stutter like crazy at 30 frames per second. 30fps is simply not a high enough temporal resolution to get smooth video. Aiptek makes several camcorders that will shoot 1280x720 at 60 fps.

After looking more closely at the link, it is using the camcorder as a DVR with an external helmet-mounted camera. I guess you're limited to 30fps.
John Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2009, 04:40 PM   #7
Trustee

It's also not recording HD as it's using a standard video input (Composite?).
Old February 2nd, 2009, 08:11 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Hi,
Thanks for the input. I have to agree, 30 fps isn't all that great for a helmet cam. I do want good video. I plan on using a helmet cam on both my motorcycle & snowmobile. I'm still looking for a good setup and I thank you guys for the info.. It definately gives me something more to think about. I'm going to take a look at the Aiptek camcorders that you mentioned and see if I can match something up with a helmet cam. Thanks again, Ray
Old February 4th, 2009, 04:58 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Hi,
Here is a another helmet cam that I feel is better than the previous one. It shows in the Specs that it is MPEG-4. The following is the link. As always, thankyou for all your help. Ray
VIO POV.1 8GB Ultimate Bundle - Helmet Camera Central
Ray Paula is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...