Vegas Video discussions from 2004 (Q1Q2) - Page 120 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old May 26th, 2004, 08:21 AM   #1786
Wrangler

Bob!
Thanks, thats great!
Old May 26th, 2004, 06:50 PM   #1787
Sponsor: JET DV

I built the screens the "hard way". I wrote the code to add a control and then manually positioned it in the right place. And, yes, it took quite a bit of trial and error to get things positioned correctly.

The obfuscating software is a third party program. If you'd like to test a piece of code, I can do that for you. If you want full details about it, you can click on the JS-Obfus link at http://www.jetdv.com/tts
Old May 27th, 2004, 09:33 AM   #1788
Regular Crew

Lars,

I use SharpDevelop (http://www.icsharpcode.net/OpenSource/SD/) and write my scripts in C#.

I have been able to launch the CLR debugger by inserting the following code:

using System.Diagnostics;

Debugger.Launch() ;

You need to compile with the debug option, but this allows you to do pretty much full interactive debug of your code. Basically, you run your script in Vegas and when the Launch method is reached, the CLR debugger starts and asks if you want to debug.

I create my forms in SharpDevelop using their GUI editor, but you should be able to do it all in Visual Studio as well. Bascially create a project that will create a .Net dll library. Then establish a reference to the Vegas .Net dll library (for Vegas 5 this is Sony.Vegas.dll and for Vegas 4 it is SonicFoundry.ScriptHost.dll).
You can then create Window Forms using the GUI tools, etc.

Randall
Old May 27th, 2004, 02:13 PM   #1789
Major Player

Hi Randall & Edward,

Thanks for all input and help!

I now have a working setup. Basically you need:

1. A DLL written in some .NET language
2. That DLL references Sony.Vegas
3. A Script that instantiates(new) your DLL passing the Vegas application pointer in the constructor
4. A XML file with the same name as the script. This XML file points out where the external DLL is located - else vegas can't find it.

Beats me why vegas fails to find the DLL when its registered in the GAC - guess that some mysteries must remain :-) I read something on MSDN about the need to create a manifest(the xml file ) enabling scripts to see external resources....so I guess that it is so by the words of Bill :-)

If someone by any chance should be intersted in example code - I could post it on one of my sites.

Best regards,

Lazze Z

ps. Right now the only kill-joy is that VEGAS is locking my dll after first use, so I have to exit Vegas in order to re-compile...ds.
Old May 27th, 2004, 05:18 PM   #1790
Regular Crew

Glad that you are up and running. I agree with the locking the dll problem, it is a real pain, but I have not found a solution to that.

You might want to check out the Sony Vegas Scripting Forum if you haven't seen it. Some of the Sony folks participate in that.

http://mediasoftware.sonypictures.co...asp?ForumID=21

Randall
Old May 27th, 2004, 06:58 PM   #1791
Regular Crew

Scrolling Text (Text Roll)

Hi Guys!

I might be just over looking this however:

Is it possible to have a text roll or scrolling text with a transparent back ground?

I'm in Vegas 5, and although I could do it in Boris Graffiti LTD, I don't have time to go through the learning curve right now.

Thanks in Advance.

Andy
Old May 27th, 2004, 07:40 PM   #1792
Inner Circle

In Generated Media Tab goto Credit Roll, you'll find Scroll and Backwards Scroll already there. For certain effects such as a crawling text you can use track motion and chroma key.

Hope that helps,
Don
Old May 27th, 2004, 07:40 PM   #1793
Trustee

Oh it's easy. Create the text roll in Photoshop witha black background. Make it 640 pixels wide (or 873 if you're 16x9) and however tall you need to fit the entire contents in one image.

Then use the pan/crop tool and keyframes to control the motion. The only variable is going to be "Y Offset." Finally, set the track to "Screen" compositing mode.
Old May 27th, 2004, 07:51 PM   #1794
Trustee

Question RE Vegas 5 upgrade path.

Hi guys. I can only see on the Sony site, upgrades from Vegas 4.0 to 5.0 by either

1) Buying Vegas 5 +DVDA 2
2) Buying Vegas

I was looking for, in vain, to find a way to just upgrade DVDA from 1 to 2. I will upgrade vegas first but don't need DVDA 2 just yet. That may change in a few months so would like to hold the purchase off until then. Does anyone know if this is possible.

Cheers
Aaron

BTW: I have emailed Sony - no reply yet.
Old May 27th, 2004, 08:33 PM   #1795

Any of the presets with the checkerboard background are transparent. You can also change the background (and it's transparency) on the Properties tab.
Old May 27th, 2004, 08:34 PM   #1796

In order to get DVDA2, you must also get Vegas 5. However, you DON'T have to install it. (However, I would because it does add a lot of great new features)
Old May 27th, 2004, 08:36 PM   #1797
Regular Crew

Thanks guys!

Workarounds I guess, what I was actually after was getting the preset to be transparent, which I can't do and though I was missing something.

I'll give each of the suggestions a go and see which is best.

Don: I can't make the preset transparent. That's why I thought I was missing something.

Thanks

Andy
Old May 27th, 2004, 08:43 PM   #1798
Trustee

Thanks Edward. Bummer about that. If I got it I would definately install it, but I don't really need it just yet with what I do. Will have to take the gamble and hope I can use it's features in the future.

Cheers
Aaron
Old May 27th, 2004, 10:02 PM   #1799
Trustee

One of the reasons I think doing it with Photoshop is best is because you have 100% control over the look and layout of your roll and can apply any photoshop effect you want. As long as the background is black, just screen composite and you don't even have to worry about chroma or checkerboards or anything like that. I find Vegas' preset effects to be a little to "canned" for my taste, but anyway do what works best for you.
Old May 27th, 2004, 11:15 PM   #1800
Trustee

I don't know if i can believe it or not but the $199 upgrade price is set to increase to $250 on the 4 June.

I ordered my upgrade in the late afternoon of the 26th, UPS was beating at my door at 11am this morning(27th). Now that's fast. (I live in Canada as well).

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...