Vegas Video discussions from 2004 (Q1Q2) - Page 54 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old March 14th, 2004, 05:14 PM   #796
Major Player

Well, as I continue to learn more about Vegas and mess around a bit more, I found out what I was doing wrong... I kept changing the fade offset of the AUDIO portion, so what I meant was if you change the fade offset of the audio track, it does nothing. Now, my other question is, I have found out that GAIN and FADE OFFSET on the audio track is the same... what is gain exactly? I was dragging it around and noticed that it lowered the volume on as you kept dragging it to the right.
Old March 14th, 2004, 06:50 PM   #797
Trustee

You know, I've been wrestling with how to *begin* the
the flashback (i.e. how to transission to it). Maybe a
crossfade. I also considered having the real time
running simultaneously, but just very faintly in the
background, but wonder if that may seem too
"busy".
I appreceiate your thoughts.
Old March 14th, 2004, 08:27 PM   #798
Sponsor: JET DV

Actually it DOES do something. If fades in or out the audio. However, the volumes and length of fade may be such that you're simply not hearing the difference. Make a three or four second fade out on the audio and you should easily hear it. Also, you might want to try changing the fade type (right click it, choose fade type, and pick one of the other options.)

Fade offset will only affect the ends of the clip. Gain will affect the clip overall (the entire clip). You can also add a volume envelope that will let you make multiple adjustments over time.

You also have the track which will affect all clips on that one track.

Have you read my newsletters? http://www.jetdv.com/tts
Old March 14th, 2004, 10:51 PM   #799
Major Player

I did... and thanks much. I'm using the Composite envelope without cuts method right now.

-Kevin
Old March 15th, 2004, 05:23 AM   #800
Inner Circle

chapter points (or markers from the project/timeline) WILL work in this mode though..
Old March 15th, 2004, 07:39 AM   #801
Major Player

Ok here is what I have tried doing

1. I un-installed an re-installed Vegas - No luck
2. I re-installed Windows media player - no luck
3. I tried playing the files on my laptop and it crashed media player on my laptop. - so there is definately something wrong with the files.

I did however capture a tape that was recorded in MY camera and everything works fine. So it seems as if there is something wrong with the tapes themselves.
The only thing I can think of that makes these tapes different was that my friend originally captured them using a SONY DSR40 deck. Since they were in that deck, they seem to be a little off for some reason.

Any ideas on why playing the tapes in a deck would effect them?

But like I said the files work fine in Vegas and I am able to render them, so it really isn't a big deal, but I would still like to know why this is happening.

Thanks
Old March 15th, 2004, 08:09 AM   #802
Regular Crew

Don,

Thanks for the info! I certainly appreciate the time and length of your explanation.
Old March 15th, 2004, 08:19 AM   #803

That will certainly work. I'm more partial to the "Master Track" approach. (and now I'm more partial to using Excalibur - certainly speeds up the process)
Old March 15th, 2004, 08:20 AM   #804

<<<-- Originally posted by Peter Jefferson : chapter points (or markers from the project/timeline) WILL work in this mode though.. -->>>

Oh, absolutely! You just won't have menu options to directly jump to a specific chapter point (as there IS no menu)
Old March 15th, 2004, 08:21 AM   #805
Major Player

How about locking tracks down? Is there a way to lock them down or timecode them after synching the audio with video?
Old March 16th, 2004, 01:06 AM   #806
Major Player

Question about the preview window

I am not sure whether this is because of Vegas or solely on my computer's hardware/processing power. Whenever I apply the effects, transitions, text, etc, etc and then play it on the preview window, there seems to be a TINY lag. It gets worse if I enlarge the preview window. I have moderately average specs, P4 2.2GHz w/ 1GB PC2100 DDR RAM & 80GB 7200rpm HD, and it doesn't seem to slow down, it just is a bit choppy. It is noticably more choppy as I enlarge the preview window. Now, my friend says that this is normal because it's just previewing... my question is, will it be this choppy when I do the final product and export it back onto the camcorder's DV tape and then try to view it?
Old March 16th, 2004, 04:00 AM   #807
RED Code Chef

What do you think yourself is happening David? Why do you think
it is slowing down? The answer is really simple. You are adding
stuff to your footage that your computer must calculate / process.
Since you haven't written it out to a new file or did a preview to
RAM it needs to process EACH frame. Now you are probably already
understanding where this lag is coming from.

I'm not going to bother answering your second part of your
question. Why? Because you can fully check that out yourself.
Render the sequence to a new file and play that back. It will
answer your question on whether it will stay choppy. In the
future, please do some research yourself if you can answer the
question yourself (like the last part of this post). Thank you.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old March 16th, 2004, 04:16 AM   #808
Regular Crew

VOB Files in Vegas

Just want to know if anybody was aware that you can drag the .VOB files from a DVD directly onto the Vegas 4.0 timeline and edit as you would any other .avi etc file. This is great for archives etc. Only drawback is that this method doesn't import sound from the DVD (but I usually record it seperately and then synchronise). I'm sure most people know about this, but thougt I would add is just in case.
Old March 16th, 2004, 04:36 AM   #809
Inner Circle

Yes you can but no audio will be available..

You can however extract the audio as wave by using an application called BeSweet

Also be aware that your editing as an MPEG... not AVI.. so you are working in a lossy format...
Old March 16th, 2004, 06:50 AM   #810
Inner Circle

OpenDML .avi files

This is probably old news to most of you. However, as I was confused by it for some time I suspect there may be one or two others that are suffering the same misunderstanding.

When rendering to a .avi file, in the render as (video settings) dialogue there is a choice for saving as an OpenDML (avi v2) file.

If you plan to import the avi into another application for further work (in my case I tried it with PowerPoint, a demo of After Effects and Particle Illusion) it seems that you should always uncheck this box as some other apps do not understand OpenDML. I don't have an exhaustive list of compliant apps but if someone does, I guess that would be a useful document to post here.

The result is that you will have a file that displays as a window of coloured fuzz - probably not what you intended.

By unchecking the box, the file will display perfectly well.

The downside (according to DSE's excellent Vegas 4 Editing Workshop) is that you cannot render a file greater than 2Gb. It also appears that alpha channels are not saved in the file if the box is unchecked (but I assume this is only an issue if you want to edit the alpha channels later)..

Anyway, from my point of view, discovering this took a long time and caused me much time wasted and annoyance. Hope this tip saves you from the hassle!
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...