Vegas Video discussions from 2004 (Q1Q2) - Page 60 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old March 18th, 2004, 11:44 PM   #886
Trustee

B&H, one of our sponsors, carry everything you need.
Old March 19th, 2004, 12:16 AM   #887
Inner Circle

Quote:
1)What speakers do you guys reccomend?
Most computer speakers won't be much good since they aren't very accurate. Some of them have resonant frequencies, have extreme bass+highs to make music sound better, or lack bass+highs.

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/...171<br /> and
http://www.digitalprosound.com/2002/...r_shootout.htm
have some budget monitor recommendations. The two sources also happen to contradict each other. You might want to move this to the audio forum on dvinfo.net and see what people suggest. It gets even more complicated: you will need an amp to drive your speakers (more $$$). And also a reasonable sound card (can be a PCI sound card like the M-Audio Revolution or a USB one). Not only that, you will very likely want to get a decent room to mix in. Jay Rose's books (see dplay.com) have information on the subject, as does Auralex (http://www.acoustics101.com/). They contradict each other a little.

Or you could just rent a good studio.

Quote:
2)Do I really need monitor? Maybe just my laptop screen will do? If I need monitor,which one should I get? Any suggestions?
You should probably search old threads on NTSC monitors. They're expensive and let you accurately see what colors your video are. If you're on a budget then getting one may not be worth it.
A step down would be an industrial monitor, and a step further down would be:
a commodore monitor (they have S-video input once you get the right adapter)
TV with S-video input and/or manual controls for adjusting picture
just any TV
Old March 19th, 2004, 02:32 PM   #888
Wrangler

Edward, 4-channel footage & Vegas

Ed I noticed your post on the VU forums about shooting with your XL-1 in 4-channel mode. I just invested in a new camera (PD-170) and a wireless system (UWP-C1). I believe the PD-170 has a similar ability to the XL-1's 4-channel mode...the audio is switchable between 32khz and 48khz. With 32 I think it can record two separate streams (in turn 4 channels).

How, exactly, does Vegas handle footage shot in 32khz (4-channel) and are there any specific changes I have to make to the capture preferences before attempting to do so?

Also, doesn't it lower the overall sound quality to compress to allow a second stream? To me- redunancy may be a better choice especially when capturing monumental 1-chance shots like the vows. Thanks in advance!
Old March 19th, 2004, 02:54 PM   #889
Trustee

Hi Glen,

As far as I know, Vegas doesn't support 4 channels capture (could be a nice added feature for the upcoming version 5).

I personnaly use Scenalyzer Live to capture footages with 4 audio channels. Scenalyzer is an inexpensive capturing program that put the second stereo stream into a wave file while capturing video and stream 1 in an avi file.

You can then import your clips in vegas for editing.
Old March 19th, 2004, 03:19 PM   #890
Sponsor: JET DV

I use Scenalyzer Live to capture all of my 4 channel stuff. I use Vegas Capture to capture the the other tapes. Vegas cannot see the secondary audio tracks.

If Scenalyzer Live would accept a manual batch capture list, I could use it full time.

If VidCap would capture stereo 2, I could use it full time.

Kind of a catch-22 situation.
Old March 19th, 2004, 03:38 PM   #891
Wrangler

Well here's hoping it's added in 5!
Old March 19th, 2004, 03:58 PM   #892
Regular Crew

You might want to look here before you buy!

http://www.videoguys.com/vegasvideo.html

www.jcmediaservices.com
www.kickbacktracks.com
Royalty Free Video Production Loops!
Old March 19th, 2004, 04:01 PM   #893

Videoguys definitely has some good deals going on right not. Also, follow the links. Anyone purchasing a box version of Vegas right now can get a $50 rebate.
Old March 19th, 2004, 08:25 PM   #894
Regular Crew

Please help with an audio question

Hi

I just purchased a Samson UHF Micro 32 Wireless Mic to work with MA200 and my XL1s. It sound great but I have one small problem and that is when I plug the wireless mic to the "Left" Audio1, the sound play on left speaker when I play it back and if I plug the mic to the "Right" Audio1 it will sound on the right speaker when play back. Is there a way that I can make it sounds on both speaker?

Thanks for your help.
AP

Sorry, just realize that I posted in the wrong section
Old March 19th, 2004, 08:35 PM   #895
Regular Crew

which hard drive to buy?

I bought Vegas DVD yesterday and now I am looking for an external hard drive.

I checked MAXTOR and WESTERN DIGITAL. I will edit on my laptop and will need probably 120GB.

My question is: should I buy USB or Fire Wire disk? I just do not know what is the difference. Or maybe having laptop connected with my camera I can only get one of those. But which one: USB or the one which can be connected via USB and Fire Wire?

Thank you for explanation.

Voytek
Old March 19th, 2004, 08:45 PM   #896
Air China Pilot

USB2. Though, you can get some drives that are USB2 and Firewire.
Old March 19th, 2004, 09:50 PM   #897
Regular Crew

is this one ok?

LET ME KNOW IF THIS ONE IS OK...

Maxtor Personal Storage 5000DV - 160GB 8MB 7200RPM (1394/USB 2.0 Combo) New Low Price!

Our Price: $200.00
8MB Cache and both FireWire® (IEEE 1394, i.LINK®) and USB 2.0 interface ports. PC and Mac compatible.

160GB Capacity

Flexible Dual Interfaces:
- FireWire, i.LINK, and 1394 compatible
- USB 2.0 & USB 1.1 compatible

IF IT'S OK I WILL BUY IT.
THANKS,

VOYTEK
Old March 19th, 2004, 10:24 PM   #898

The first thing I do is plug a "Y" into the plug in which the mic is connected and record the signal on both tracks of the stereo channel on the MiniDV tape.

Since you've already taped, right-click the audio track, choose Channels, then pick left only, right only, or combine as appropriate.
Old March 20th, 2004, 01:06 AM   #899
Regular Crew

Capturing 16:9 but want to put it to 4:3

Hi all,

i got some editing to do with footage that was shot in 16:9. I want the final product to be in 4:3.

Any tips before or when capturing it or anything in particular that i should know , iM new to the 16:9 format.

Thx a bunch in advance

Phil
Old March 20th, 2004, 03:02 AM   #900
Inner Circle

or a more efficient way might be to let it run on left...
then run the onboard mic on ch2...(right)

during edit, u cna select which cannel to switch from as ed has explained..

on top of that, if anythign happens to your wireless, youll have the shotgun recording to work with... its a failsafe method used by many, and i for one wouldnt work any other way :)
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...