Vegas Video discussions from 2004 (Q1Q2) - Page 99 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old April 27th, 2004, 10:37 AM   #1471
Sponsor: JET DV

If you re-render as low, I would assume you would delete the original. Otherwise there's NO reason at all for using low-rez during the editing phase. Personally, I'd just stick with full rez throughout.
Old April 27th, 2004, 11:24 AM   #1472
Wrangler

The whole reason for that workflow (capturing and editing in low res first before master) is to help speed up the responsiveness of the NLE beings it's dealing with low res footage and effects won't take as much of a toll on framerate.

Why not just capture in high res (standard) and edit using the video preview window in Preview mode. Once your ready for your final render just render it out at full res.
Old April 27th, 2004, 12:08 PM   #1473
Trustee

Reverse Pulldown (Inverse Telecine) with Vegas 5?

Can Vegas 5 do reverse pulldown of 60i footage (such as laserdisc or VHS films)? And can you set the offset and polarity manually like with virtualdub? Thanks a lot.
Old April 27th, 2004, 02:04 PM   #1474
Regular Crew

I actually wanted to capture in low res because I thought it would save room on my hard drive.... even one gig counts, ya know?
Old April 27th, 2004, 02:07 PM   #1475
RED Code Chef

I would use VirtualDub for that. Why? Because Vegas to the best
of my knowledge will only handle inverse telecine with DV footage
that is marked as such. I don't think it has any manual options
in that regard.

You can always try out the demo of 5, ofcourse....

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old April 27th, 2004, 02:52 PM   #1476
Trustee

Yeah I have used VirtualDub and it works great. But sometimes I notice that the 3:2 offset actually changes in the middle of the footage, in which case I really need a good NLE to help me spot those points and then change them on the fly without having to wait until everything's output before I realize halfway through it's messed up. :)

But I will for sure be downloading the 5 demo. I just want to see if it's worthwhile before upgrading, since I'm strapped for cash between Gigastudio 3.0 and the possibility of an XL2 successor on the horizon. :)
Old April 27th, 2004, 07:29 PM   #1477
Regular Crew

Thank you all very much. i have had my eye on the ULTRA key from Serious Magic - for lots of reasons, including the virtual sets. Nick, thanks a bunch for the extra info also.
I dont want to have to do a bunch of extra tweaking and detail work to get a good lookin, professional key.
Old April 27th, 2004, 08:05 PM   #1478
Regular Crew

DVD to Screen

Hi Guys!

This may be a bit OT but I'll run it any way.

A friend of mine is going to get me to produce a 5 - 6 min promo for his business in Vegas, and put it on DVD. (Could be my first pro job - here's hoping!)

He then wants to run the DVD on his ;aptop, but display it on a screen or Overhead projector.

What's the best way for him to achieve this?

Thanks in advance!

Andy
Old April 27th, 2004, 08:11 PM   #1479
Regular Crew

I have a SONY TRV27, TRV120, and TRV460
Old April 28th, 2004, 12:45 AM   #1480
John Hopkins

Text Motion Tracking

I am using Vegas to create training videos for students in a university science course. I am trying to position text at precise places in the frame and then animate its motion using keyframes. I find this very tedious to do in Vegas because it is time consumming to get the position of the text accurately placed. I have been using either motion tracking or the pan crop tool. Movements of the text are coarse and Vegas updates the display slowly. This makes it difficult to quickly position the text where I want it. Using the arrow keys for movement is precise but slow. In addition The Vegas Media Generator cannot make superscripts and subscripts in the text (unless another layer is used.) This means using photoshop to make graphics files instead. Can anyone suggest a better way.

Old April 28th, 2004, 07:00 AM   #1481
Rextilleon

Try this ---Open and create your text using Media Generator. Then click on the Placement tab in the Video Media Generator dialogue box. Position your text and create your key frames---This is super fast---I have used many dedicated titlers and none are this fast. No need to consider other software unless you are doing complex titling.
Old April 28th, 2004, 07:00 AM   #1482
Major Player

You might want to consider a separate titling software, like Blufftitler.
Old April 28th, 2004, 07:08 AM   #1483
Sponsor: JET DV

In Vegas 5, you can make use of the new track nesting compositing ability to move multiple tracks as a group. Just make them all children to a blank track and use Track Motion on that parent track.
Old April 28th, 2004, 07:28 AM   #1484
New Boot

I will have to agree with Nick. I use DVMatte with Vegas and it was money well spend. Eventhough I could use Vegas keyer, the DVMatte is well worth the time having to import and export the footage. Vegas doesn't hold a candle to this plug-in.
Old April 28th, 2004, 07:51 AM   #1485
Tourist

Er, plug the projector into the laptop, insert the DVD into the laptop...
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...