Vegas Video discussions from 2004 (Q1Q2) - Page 107 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old May 11th, 2004, 09:27 AM   #1591
RED Code Chef

Perhaps a screenshot of your timeline and settings showing the
thumbnails might help.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old May 11th, 2004, 03:03 PM   #1592
Wrangler

UPDATE:

-Found out my problem with the cookie cutter...I was applying it to the track and not the event. If you apply the cookie cutter at the track level it needs to be in a compositing mode to work. Or, oddly enough, move the opacity slider to 99% and it looks perfect. Although at 100% and no composite mode it only shows black where the mask resides.

Still trying to figure out why my ram renders aren't rendering my speed changes smoothly in Preview (auto) mode. Granted I know preview auto isn't the best mode to view effects in but in Vegas 4 you could get a smooth preview of slow motion (below 40% speed) simply by ram rendering a section. NOW...it seems, it HAS to be in a higher quality preview mode regardless of ram-rendering. Maybe Edward can confirm this. I no longer have V4 on my machine.

Someone (in Vegas 4) take a clip slow it down to 33% speed, keep the preview mode to Preview (auto) and ram render a small section. Does it play smooth or have a bit of choppiness to it. If my memory serves me correct Vegas 4 would ram render smooth playback even in Preview quality mode.
Old May 11th, 2004, 03:14 PM   #1593

Chicago and Denver, just around the corner

Looking forward to meeting a bunch of y'all in Denver and Chicago next week. We'll be giving away Pixelan, Artbeats, Bella Keyboards, ADS Enclosures, ACID loops, and more. Plus the famous goodie bags....
See you there!!

http://www.vasst.com/training_tours.htm
http://www.vasst.com
Old May 11th, 2004, 03:18 PM   #1594
Sponsor: JET DV

Wish I could be there. Maybe one of the other stops along the way!
Old May 11th, 2004, 03:57 PM   #1595
Old Boot

I wont give up!

When you coming to London . . hmmm??

Grazie
Old May 11th, 2004, 04:11 PM   #1596

Grazie,
You put together the users, we'll market as best we can, and we'll be there. We've been talking with the distributor in London, they're interested too.
Haven't been there for a LONG time, did a training in Earl's Court 3 years back.
C'mon, Grazie, push those folks and bring me over. I'd love to meet you in person.
Old May 11th, 2004, 04:21 PM   #1597
Old Boot

I'm trying . .I'm trying . . The distribs here have a word for me here . . I think it is "fanatic" ? Frankly this IS an understatement . .

I'm going to the Broadcast Production Show at Olympia London - I'll see what and where Vegas is showing . . .

Spot, I'm doing a "Grazie-Type" Review of V5. Might we chat off line to chuck some ideas about? You got a little time to spare me?

Best regards,

Grazie
Old May 11th, 2004, 04:31 PM   #1598

But of course I have the time, and you've got my email addy. Remember, I leave on the VASST road on Friday of this week.
Old May 11th, 2004, 08:10 PM   #1599
Major Player

Yes, I can see the burnt area on the disk.
Also in my other writing software the disk is shown as having 1MB and no free space.
It was brand (Mitsubishi) x4 media and I chose this speed in DVDA. I couldn't see the actual burning process.

I also burnt the DVD+RW at x4 and can see same area changed but so far no problem playing back this one. At burning it showed lead in, actual burn and lead out process.
Old May 11th, 2004, 10:00 PM   #1600
New Boot

burning multiple dvd

Anyone know how to burn a project across multiple dvd's in DVDA?
Old May 11th, 2004, 10:54 PM   #1601
Sponsor: JET DV

The SECOND time (and thereafter), choose "Make DVD" and then just choose the "BURN" option. Point it to the right folder and you're done.
Old May 11th, 2004, 10:58 PM   #1602
Old Boot

Thank you . . .emailed you . .

Thanks Douglas - I've emailed you at the email displayed by this site? Correct?

Grazie
Old May 12th, 2004, 04:53 AM   #1603
RED Code Chef

Cameron: do you want to burn more copies of your movie or do
you want to have one half on one disc and the second half on
another disc?

The former was answered by Edward. In the case of the latter
I would just splice the movie in Vegas and export the two
sections to two different files and do two projects in DVDA.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old May 12th, 2004, 11:56 AM   #1604
Regular Crew

Vegas 5: squeezing the best performance!

I just upgraded to v 5.0 and noticed a significant drop in performance of the out-of-the-box install as compared to my version 4.0 installation.

Below are the things I changed in the v.5 installation to improve performance. Please add your tips below.

1. Moved the default Prerendered files and Audio files folders to a separate large, empty drive partition (File>Properties dialog).

2. Moved the temp files folder to the same dedicated partition (Options>Preferences:General)

3. By default I use an external drive for capturing and editing. When rendering, I render to another physical drive (so read and write happen on separate devices)

The performance however is still not on par with my v.4 installation.

Please add your tips -- let's collectively squeze the best possible performance from the new toy!
Old May 12th, 2004, 12:33 PM   #1605
Wrangler

Overall it does feel a bit more sluggish than Vegas 4 but don't have any hard facts to prove so. Simple loading times from windows is a bit slower but not by much. Apparently people have seen performance improvements in MPG rendering but I cannot test it myself as V4 is off my system now.

One of the things I notice being pretty substancially slower is grabbing a bunch of clips from the explorer and dragging them to the timeline as a group. There is a latency now...at first nothing happened and I thought I hadn't quite grabbed them correctly with the mouse only to see them pop up about 4 seconds later. Vegas 4 it was instantaneous.

All in all I don't think it's that much "slower" than Vegas 4 but there are a few things that feel a tad "sluggish" but not by a margin enough for me to cause concern. Regardless it's a bit dissapointing to Upgrade and get something that isn't quite as fast in some aspect...then again Vegas 4 is a tough act to follow! I'm hoping in subsequent patches the engineers can clean up the code on some areas a bit.

Not to be a downer but, to be honest, I'm not really impressed with Vegas 5. I still love it- it's Vegas...but the additions they added (while some are nice) aren't earth shattering. The largest improvement, the addition of 3D compositing...isn't something I'd want to do detailed work in Vegas on in the first place...especially with a copy of After Effects 6 by my side. My opinion is that they should have patched up the weak-points from Vegas 4 before piling on new features such as 3d compositing and bezier masking. Better media management, ability to prerender a clip and actually MOVE it without losing the render, nested timelines, and better titling ability should have been tackled first. Regardless I still prefer it to PPro anyday of the week- plus what about DVDA 2...man what an improvement!...but that's another story all together. I'm not sour grapes about my purchase of the upgrades soley due to the inclusion of DVDA 2...it was definitly worth the price of admission alone. *sorry for the rant*

Anyway...Andre...back on topic. I'd try moving the prerender and temp folders to a separate physcial drive. Other performance tweaks are 1.Make sure your media drive is separate from your program drive...and keep it defragged 2.Close down any anti-virus programs while editing. 3. Might be a bit larger scope but- buy the fastest Cpu and Ram you can afford, SATA drives are a plus too. As far as in-program tweaks there aren't many other than the ones you mentioned regarding placement of temp/prerender folders and media.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...