Vegas 5.0 Wish List - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old March 17th, 2004, 08:16 AM   #16
Sponsor: JET DV

<<<-- Originally posted by Jerry Norman : I would like to see smarter rendering of stills. When you render 10 seconds of a still that doesn't move and has no FX, Vegas should recognize that and just copy the frame the required number of times rather than rendering each duplicate frame.

Jerry -->>>

I already does. I can watch the rendering of a scrapbook on my machine and, while panning occurs, you can see each frame count by. As soon as the panning stops, the counter moves so fast you can't read the numbers.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2004, 10:20 AM   #17
New Boot

Better masking and faster rendering is a must.

I would like to have a feature that drops marker points while capturing live video. You can do this while recording with Sound Forge with a single click. This saves so much time during the editing. You go right to the markers to location the needed audio file. I would love to have this feature in Vegas 5.
Sean Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2004, 01:21 PM   #18
Slash Rules!

A more FCP/Avid/Premiere-like scrub tool. What I mean is, let's say I want to find the exact frame of video where audio starts or stops (like in a dialogue sequence), I can use the arrow keys to scrub frame by frame until it goes from audio to silence, and you'd be able to hear the audio on each frame. I know people say "just buy the shuttle pro", but I don't wanna! I'm used to the mouse and keyboard.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2004, 10:13 PM   #19

Vegas can scrub video in a variety of ways. No, it may not work exactly like FCP or Premiere but scrubbing is NOT a problem.
Old March 19th, 2004, 12:21 AM   #20
Regular Crew

Can you advance frame by frame without clicking the mouse, but by pressing some button or another on the keyboard? That is important.
Ted Springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2004, 12:48 AM   #21
Wrangler

You guys should check out DSE's book on Vegas.
Or read the manual. :)
Old March 19th, 2004, 06:14 AM   #22
Regular Crew

Ed, thanks for sharing this. Perhaps it is because I use Motion Blur that this doesn't happen for me. I will drop the blur to zero for the static portion and recheck.

<I already does. I can watch the rendering of a scrapbook on my machine and, while panning occurs, you can see each frame count by. As soon as the panning stops, the counter moves so fast you can't read the numbers. -->
Old March 19th, 2004, 06:16 AM   #23
RED Code Chef

Yes you can Ted. The trick is to zoom in far enough in the timeline
so that the cursor keys move one frame at a time (I just verified
this on my Vegas installation).

For some quick starting information on Vegas:

Vegas shortcuts etc.
Edward's excellent tips

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2004, 08:08 AM   #24

<<<-- Originally posted by Ted Springer : Can you advance frame by frame without clicking the mouse, but by pressing some button or another on the keyboard? That is important. -->>>

Absolutely. There are at least three ways:

1) Zoom in on the timeline so that the arrow keys advance one frame at a time (arrow keys really move "one pixel" so you have to zoom in far enough that "one pixel" equates to one frame)

2) Hold down the ALT key while pressing the arrow keys. This will move you one frame no matter what the zoom level currently is.

3) Press F3 to move one frame left and F9 to move one frame right.
Old March 19th, 2004, 01:45 PM   #25
Slash Rules!

Sorry, I may have been unclear. I know how to advance the play head or cursor or johnson rod or whatever it's called frame by frame, what I don't know how to do is advance it frame by frame while it lets you hear the audio on each frame as you advance. Make more sense?

No shuttle pro for me. . .just another $100 for something I'd only need for one very specific purpose.
Old March 19th, 2004, 03:23 PM   #26

Shuttle wouldn't help you anyway. It uses the F3 and F9 keys by default.

What I guess I don't understand is why you need to hear one frames worth of audio. It won't sound like anything intelligible. What purpose does it serve? How does it beat looking at the wave form? What benefit is there to it for me?

One thing you CAN do is set up a very small region and let the playback loop in that region. You can adjust the size of the region WHILE it continues playing.
Old March 19th, 2004, 05:18 PM   #27
Slash Rules!

Look, I'm not trying to start a huge argument here. All I'm saying is, there were times when I've been editing, and if I could split a track right before the audio starts, that would be helpful. Without enlarging the audio track visually so that I can see it, the easiest way to find out where audio goes to complete silence is by scrubbing. When I took my FCP class, this was something I did often.
Old March 19th, 2004, 05:49 PM   #28
Regular Crew

I do this often in FCP as well. I guess you have to do it a few times and then get spoiled by the advantages it provides. Granted, it's not something that every editor needs, but I sure like it.
Ted Springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2004, 06:38 PM   #29
Inner Circle

Would be acceptable to:
Turn looping on (shortcut is q)
Select a small region, with the start where you think the edit should be.
Play the selection and adjust the beginning until it's right.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2004, 07:11 PM   #30
Regular Crew

Or they could make it easy like it is in Final Cut Pro. I mean, we're talking Vegas 5 "wish lists" here, right?
Ted Springer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...