Vegas Video discussions from 2005 (Q3Q4) - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old June 28th, 2005, 12:59 PM   #31
Regular Crew

Yeah, that's it. Cool video you have there. Can't wait to read your article so I can begin to mess around with that effect. Looks like it could be a lot of work!
Old June 28th, 2005, 01:25 PM   #32
Sponsor: JET DV

That's not my video - just a company that did a great job applying that effect and took the time to give some explanations on how they did it. It IS very time consuming to do.
Old June 28th, 2005, 01:43 PM   #33
Regular Crew

Oh, right, just realized that. They did a killer job. When do you think your latest newsletter will be finished?
Old June 28th, 2005, 02:31 PM   #34

Hopefully soon but it's tough to put free stuff in front of paying stuff. :-(
It's really close to done, though.
Old June 28th, 2005, 07:50 PM   #35
New Boot

new to Sony Vegas 6+ dvd architect

I have purchased sony v 6 + dvd architect + acid music studio. I am completely new to video and audio editing. I would very much appreciate any overview of the easiest way to use this system. I can't figure out the difference between architect and vegas. There are so many similarities, I don't know why I need both. How is it easiest to navigate? What work do I need arch for and what do I need vegas for and do I combine parts and pieces afterward from each or do I choose to do projects in just one or the other and why? Thanks for any input! Lisa
Old June 28th, 2005, 08:20 PM   #36

Short answer: Vegas edits video. DVD Architect allows you to create DVDs from the videos edited in Vegas. Acid lets you create music to be used in your videos made in Vegas.

Take a look at my newsletters - especially the "Beginner's Corner" articles beginning in the 4th issue. The link is below my name.
Old June 30th, 2005, 01:12 AM   #37
Inner Circle

Hi Lisa,

Welcome to Vegas!

In addition to Edwards excellent newsletters there is also a selection of Vegas books you might want to work through, including entry level. My personal favourite is Vegas 5 Editing Workshop by Douglas Spotted Eagle, published by CMP Books. There are plenty of comments about it on this forum. It covers DVD Architect as well. Note this is for Vegas 5 - I'm sure someone (like the authors) will want to give us a clue as to when any V6 books will be available!

Just like Harlow, I played around for a while, having only done the tutorial in the user guide. It really is an easy application to use, once the basic concepts are understood (the tutorial will do this), and the depth of the software is such that you'll find new stuff each time you use it. I took a look at Premier and while I'm sure it's a great app, I just couldn't get into it as easily as I did with Vegas.

I lived and worked in Columbus, OH for a few years on and off (every other week - now that's a commute - I live in the UK). Lots of great people there. I'd love to say I have happy memories but the people were so friendly and so generous with the booze that I have very few memories left at all.

Good luck with Vegas.

Ian . . .
Old June 30th, 2005, 09:43 AM   #38

New Tips, Tricks, and Scripts newsletter released

The June 2005 - vol 3 #3 has been released. This issue contains the following articles:

“Kids in the Picture” Effect
Beginner’s Corner - Bezier Masks
Scripting - Replacing the “S” key

Also, look for a July 4th special from Videoguys. The special ends after July 4th so be sure and check it out quickly.

http://www.jetdv.com/vegas/forum/vie...hp?p=2118#2118
Old June 30th, 2005, 02:21 PM   #39
Regular Crew

Lisa - DSE's book that Ian mentioned is good. I also recommend "Naked Vegas 5" for a beginner. I hesitate to say it, but IMO, it's even better than DSE's book for the beginner. Each chapter presents a new set of tools, then some "real world" problems for you to solve with those tools (with explanations of how you should have thought through the problem). It's a terrific resource for getting up and running with Vegas.
Old July 1st, 2005, 11:33 AM   #40
Inner Circle

Australia SMPTE Exhibition :)

I'll be there in the NewMagic booth with the fellas, showing off Vegas 6 and DVD Architect 3

http://www.smpte.com.au/conference.php

this is going to be huge.. not only are we showing off V6 in al its HDV glory, but JVC are also planning the release of the HD100, which will hopefully be ready by then, since it was bumped.

Heres the Blurb----------
New Magic Australia represent Sony Media Software, NewTek and Convergent Design.See live presentations of LightWave 3D and Sony Vegas ® 6, carried out by Australia’s best LightWave 3D artists and Vegas Video editors at their Stand C47.See the new Sony Media Software Vegas ® 6, the only software of its kind that combines real-time SD,DV,and HDV video editing with unrivalled audio tools. It provides the ultimate all-in-one environment for creative professionals –high-definition and high-fidelity. Key features include HDV support, unlimited tracks for audio and video, real-time play back and editing,and over 190 video effects and 175 2D and 3D transitions. New Magic will also feature Sony ACID and Sound Forge software, and NewTek ’s VT [4 ] broadcast live switching product, the world ’s fastest and most versatile editor for production,post –production, and graphics:live switching, real- time keying, titling, compositing, 2D video painting, 3D modelling and animation.
----------------------

Hopefully, i'll get a chance to play with the shows demo unit and make sure soundforge and acid pro 5 are running on it and be able to demonstrate how multiple apps can all run off it without a problem..

Ideally, i want to show how V6 can be integrated into a Studio and have 3 guys cutting scenes, one guy doing audio in acid and one guy piecing it all together... all feeding off the same media drives and networked like the Borg collective.. but that aint gonan happen.. lol
I dont think i'll get a chance to go that far or even assimilate non believers, but im sure i'l be able to raise afew eyebrows ;)

So come on down and say hi!!!!!!!

Last edited by Peter Jefferson; July 1st, 2005 at 11:51 AM.
Old July 1st, 2005, 09:00 PM   #41
New Boot

Yes you sure can.
Old July 2nd, 2005, 12:22 PM   #42
Regular Crew

I have Vegas 5, It seems i can only do a 2-3-3-2 conversion in DV mode. No larger frame size. Is Vegas 6 different in this regard?
thanks
Old July 2nd, 2005, 06:24 PM   #43
Regular Crew

Strange thing happened...

well... hmh, how to explain my prob.
ok... I am working with vegas 6.
and I edited our amateur 55 min movie...

but... at some points, when I used fade in or crossfade between clips, at the point when fade ends, vegas blinks me one DARKER frame (it is obviously darker, you can clearly see that). you can not see that in preview window, only when render AVI. but, strange thing is, not at all fades, only at some of them. I checked the files, they seam all to be the same, and fades are regulary the same. don't know what's the prob ... it looks very... annoying, and bad.
If you are not clear what I am talkin' about here, I can upoload shor clip with example?

p.s. I must say, that most of the projects (every scene was a different project) I edited in Vegas5 and then later, I loaded them in V6, and finished them there. they all looked perfect in vegas 5.
Old July 2nd, 2005, 07:14 PM   #44

I have heard of people mentioning that before but have not personally noticed that. What happens if you make the fade 1 frame longer or shorter?
Old July 2nd, 2005, 07:17 PM   #45
Major Player

It´s been a long time since I have been around here...
but this thread just saved my ass big time...
I´m on a 72 hour short film festival.
I´m due in 10 hours.. and I was going crazy over this same problem...

Thank you guys.. I love this forum.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...