Vegas Video discussions from 2005 (Q3Q4) - Page 70 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old November 6th, 2005, 05:26 PM   #1036
New Boot

Missing NEC 3250 fixed by Sony

My new AMD dual-core, NVidia, NEC 3250 problem with DVDA3 and V6c has been successfully resolved by Sony. 3 new *dll files were required in both DVDA and Vegas, but all functions in both applications have been verified by me. Some of you were victims of this configuration, contact Sony Support.

Darryl
Old November 6th, 2005, 09:14 PM   #1037
Sponsor: JET DV

Glad to hear a resolution was found.
Old November 6th, 2005, 09:22 PM   #1038
Regular Crew

Yes, bless you!
Old November 7th, 2005, 12:25 AM   #1039
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregory Doi
hey guys,

I've been doing a weekly TV series here in Hawaii. I recently started noticing a problem in Vegas. Sometimes to do a preview for the producer ill do a prerender on the whole project. When this is done the normal blue bars show up above the timeline. However, i find that if i make any changes anywhere in the timeline, all the blue bars disappear.

Let me clarify. If I make a change to the credits at the end, the blue bars dissappear from the beginning of the timline, for instance the intro and all the way down. so theres no blue bars left. This means that when finalize the project I gotta re-render all over again.

Thanks,

Greg
Not sure I'm totally following what you're meaning...

Are you saying that after you make a change - only the clip/effect that has been changed renders?

The 'blue bars' above the media in the timeline are the "loop region" and if you have "render loop region only" selected in your "render as" options, then only that region will render for you...

It's pretty easy to make the loop region as long or as short as you desire... You can manually drag either of the yellow triangular markers (at left and right of the blue bar) to where-ever you want.

To render the whole project every time you render - turn off "render loop region only".

To render only a specific region, turn on "render loop region only", and use the yellow 'flags' to set the loop region.

I hope that's what you're after...
Old November 7th, 2005, 12:23 PM   #1040
Regular Crew

Joystick functionality in vegas

I did a search and found nothing so here it goes. What does enabling joystick support really do? I plugged on in and nothing, I checked external controls but that seems to be all stuff for midi.
Old November 7th, 2005, 01:47 PM   #1041
Trustee

i would look at procoder before cleaner, definitely... you can frame-serve from the vegas timeline directly into procoder, without the additional step of rendering a file out of vegas first... i believe that procoder also has network rendering capability, but i'm not sure about the auto-ftp function?
Old November 8th, 2005, 05:25 AM   #1042
Inner Circle

We all want to speed up our rendering.. so....

why dont Sony hook up with ATI??

heres why...
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...1880669,00.asp

this link was posted in the DV News forum, however, if Sony can work out how to access this engine feature from within Vegas, and using either the Sony or Cineform Codecs or what have you.. .im sure it would save ALOT of people the nightmare of rendering to a deadline..

On top of that, this acceleration seems to be akin to the way a Matrox RTx100 and Storm2 card behave, being that all the encoding/decoding is done in hardware...

Now with afew tweaks, im sure it would be possible considering the net framework system within Vegas, as well as the DX grunt that it has...

who knows, maybe one day we'll have a Vegas RT....
Old November 8th, 2005, 07:03 AM   #1043
Major Player

Yep, did same thing!
NTSC MPEG2 rendered straight from the timeline (1h20min) finished in 3h30min
Same project (NTSC DV) rendered to PAL took 17h30min.

Using just titles, few transitions, not really effects applied to the whole video.
CPU P4 Northwood 3GHz.

AC3 render time was exactly 10 min.

Note:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lynn
... It should go faster however if you put the rendered ntsc back on the timeline and render it out ...
No way - it means you re-render MPEG2 NTSC to MPEG2 PAL - results should be awful!
Old November 8th, 2005, 08:19 AM   #1044
Inner Circle

just curious.. why bother doing that when DVDA doesnt region encode ur discs?? i know for a fact that my Pal dvds play on almost any machine i throw them in.. whether they be in the US, canada, NZ, france, england..

I used to transcode, but found it to be a great waste of time when it isnt neede for DVD Delivery worldwide..
Old November 8th, 2005, 08:46 AM   #1045
Major Player

Gearshift timecode shift

Here is the problem I am faced with. Captured m2t files with AspectHD, applied Gearshift with HDV 1080 - 60i Intermediate, created sublips from the GSProxy generated. Went to shift gears and received the error "Errors were found when replacing media".

Placed the GSProxy file, rendered avi, and m2t file in a new Vegas project. All files were the same overall length, but at timecode 0;32:15:08 the footage in the GSProxy and the avi file were the same; the m2t file was off by 01:43:15. The correct image in the m2t file was at 0;33:58:21.

Is there an easy fix, or just tell me what went wrong so I won't do it again.

Appreciate the help

Jim
Old November 8th, 2005, 10:14 AM   #1046
Sponsor: VASST

According to the Vegas Help file:

You can use a joystick to adjust faders, surround panning, and the color wheel controls in the color corrector plug-ins. If you're using a force-feedback joystick, force feedback adds a tactile element to your editing sessions.

I’ve never tried this but that’s what it can be used for.

~jr
Old November 8th, 2005, 05:05 PM   #1047

Hi Jim,

Sorry you are having trouble with GearShift. Here is what I need to know:

1. What did you use as your source: Filesystem? Mediabin? Timeline? Regions?

2. What did you render to: Proxy only? Intermediate only? Proxy + Intermediate?
(it sounds like you created a proxy + intermediate)

3. Did you place the rendered files in the same folder as the source? or in a new folder?

These answers will help me recreate the problem and provide you with a fix or an explanation.

~jr
Old November 8th, 2005, 05:29 PM   #1048
Inner Circle

Dear Fred,

If you are like me, you may want to use a joystick for more functions than Vegas supports for joysticks.

I am currently using a CH Products Flight Simulator Yoke (USB) version and it has helped immensely.

The yoke has three "Throttle" type controls, two up/down switches, two very handly pushbuttons, two more pushbuttons, an 8-way hat switch and more.

I programmed the unit using CH-Product control software (using mapping to Vegas's keystroke functions).

I am able to:

Start/Stop (same as spacebar) using left pushbutton
Start/Stop (same as Enter key) using right pushbutton

Perform the "Ripple" function (Post-Edit Ripple across all tracks) using one button.

One up/down switch takes me to the end (up) or beginning (down) of an event.

Another down switch spits the event at the cursor. The up switch sets the focus to the timeline, if it was in the trimmer or other location

One set of switches sets the beginning point in the trimmer, another is the end point.

Another set of switches takes me to the start or end of the timeline.

One Throttle allows me to zoom in/out.
Another Throttle centers the event on the cursor.
Another toggles the "Ignore Event Grouping" flag.

I am doing this all from memory, and I know I left out some features.

The above settings were what I wanted, others may want to control other features. In general, if you can do it with a keystroke, you can assign the keystroke to the yoke using this software.

All of this is a mouthful to say, but the layout is very logical and easy to learn (in my opinion). For example, playing an event in the trimmer to select the in and out points is very easy. Just press one button when you reach the in and another when you reach the out.

The 8-Way hat switch can be used to control the speed of the playback in 5 or more increments, and also can be used to start and stop playback.

In my opionion, this yoke is a natural for editing, but it sure looks funny at first glance to other editors. They quit laughing when they see how natural it is.

I bought the yoke for $99 for use with Flight Simulator and I wanted a better way to edit. The control software for this yoke is free from CH Products.

The layout of the yoke and it's button's and switches helps keep things organized, it is not as hard to learn as it sounds.

I also have a Contour Pro Shuttle, which is good, but I find myself using the yoke instead for almost all functions.
Old November 8th, 2005, 06:49 PM   #1049
Major Player

John

1. Filesystem

2. Proxy + Intermediate

3. Same folder

I am re-doing the troublesome file right now. My concern with timecode being off is that the subclips will also be off from the ones I originally used.

Thanks for everything

Jim
Old November 8th, 2005, 08:38 PM   #1050

I cannot recreate either of your problems but I believe that GearShift should give you more information about what went wrong. I will work on an update that does better error reporting so that you can determine exactly what the errors occurred when the media was being replaced.

Did you move the files into new directories after you ran GearShift to create them? This would cause the swap to fail. Also if you change the settings in GearShift from what you used when you created the files that would cause a failure as well. e.g., if you change the Render Directory options, GearShift would look in the wrong place for the files. Make sure you don’t change any of the options in GearShift from when you created the files because ShiftGears uses that information to find them.

On your second problem, since you loaded the files from the filesystem I can’t explain why the Proxy and AVI files were off from the original M2T file. What GearShift does is load the M2T file onto the timeline and render it using Vegas. I can’t imagine why the three files would not be identical. They are for the M2T files I captured directly from my Z1 that I used for this test.

Let me know how you make out after you re-do the troublesome file.

~jr
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...