Vegas Video discussions from 2005 (Q3Q4) - Page 73 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old November 12th, 2005, 08:02 PM   #1081

It could be that your image is such high resolution that the down-scale to DV makes it look bad. Or, maybe you're viewing at Preview/Full or Auto? Set this to Best/Full to see it in it's best presentation. If it's still bad, try a few things;
1. Right click/Switches/Reduce interlace flicker.
2. Add .001 Gaussian Blur
3. Reduce the size/resolution of the image in Photoshop or other graphic editor.

Remember, DV is only 720 x 480, so if you're dropping in an 8 megapixel image, it's likely scaling so much that it looks artifacted.
http://www.vasst.com
Old November 12th, 2005, 09:46 PM   #1082
Trustee

HDV and XP service pack 2 necessary?

I was about to purchase Vegas Platinum but the requirement on the box said service pack 2 required for HDV. Why?

What HDV functionality exactly will not work with sp1?
Old November 12th, 2005, 09:59 PM   #1083

Only camera detection. It will run fine under SP1. I'm running it now. You *may* need to manually install the HDV camera drivers though.
You'll love Platinum, I've cut quite a few things with it.
Old November 12th, 2005, 10:23 PM   #1084
Major Player

Cool!

Makes sense, resized the images in photoshop and it made a HUGE improvement.

Thanks.
Old November 13th, 2005, 12:27 AM   #1085
Major Player

I lost a fuction with .mpg

When I go to render to the DVDA templates for mpeg2, and then click "custom" it won't open the custom window. It opens the custom template window in other formats.

I think this is because I recently re-installed on a formatted drive and I am missing some mpg codecs. I know that I used to be able to drag and drop in mpegs and now I can't.

I forgot what I'm missing! Please help.

DJ
Old November 13th, 2005, 06:42 AM   #1086
Sponsor: JET DV

MPEG Custom button does not work
Old November 13th, 2005, 07:47 AM   #1087
Major Player

DVDA2 duel layer ?

Any chance of Sony offering a duel layer plugin for DVDA2, or can you just upgrade to DVDA3 if you don’t want or need Vegas6?

Just thinking out loud

Vince

BTW what is the cost for The Vegas5 w/DVD to Vegas6 w/DVD upgrade?
Old November 13th, 2005, 08:18 AM   #1088
Inner Circle

No and No. Since DVDA2 has been replaced by DVDA3 there is no reason to offer any type of new plugin and DVDA is strictly available only with Vegas.

Don
Old November 13th, 2005, 10:32 AM   #1089
Trustee

Thanks Douglas, exactly the answer I was hoping for.

Your answer to a similar question for someone else is what got CapDVHS working for me with the Z1U and SP1.
Old November 13th, 2005, 04:09 PM   #1090

As Don said, dual layer requires DVDA 3 and you can only get that if you update to Vegas6+DVD. The update is $250:
http://www.sonymediasoftware.com/sho...cid=111&disp=1

However, it may also be possible to prepare the DVD in DVDA2 and then use something like Nero to actually burn the disc onto dual layer media.
Old November 13th, 2005, 06:42 PM   #1091
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle
VCD's aren't meant for TV playback. If you do so, all progressive images are converted by default, to interlaced, unless you've got a progressive DVD/VCD player and a progressive television. All non LCD, Plasma, and rear projection systems are interlaced. So, if I'm understanding you correctly, you want/need a progressive source, but want to display on an interlaced display, without interlacing/jitter/artifacting.
It's not going to happen, because it can't.
Thank you once again for the information,Douglas!
Now I think about something else in that matter: yes, the TV set I use is interlaced, I know that. But what about when you switch an interlaced tv set on and watch a film on some tv channel? I mean that the film is progressive in any case somewhere in the tv company which you receive the film from via cable, antenna, etc. So, the progressive looks OK on the interlaced TV in your home. Or the jitter is almost not obvious! That is my confusion...
Old November 13th, 2005, 06:52 PM   #1092

First and foremost, VCD's aren't used for broadcast.
Second, even though the source may have been progressive, it's being interlaced at the broadcaster's facility and aired to you from there, or your television is correctly interlacing progressive footage. (Most likely it's the former, not the latter)

In your case, you're using footage that was captured with interlacing, deinterlaced in (I assume) Vegas, and then put on a low-quality format, which is then being upsampled to a larger scale. This would make any interlacing very obvious.

What happens if you shoot something with your palmcorder, edit it as DV, convert to progressive scan in Vegas, and render to a progressive DVD, and watch it on an interlaced set? It should look quite good, assuming you're using the Vegas templates and not using Pan/crop on the video.
Old November 13th, 2005, 09:26 PM   #1093
Major Player

This may be a tough question but how would one do that ... after I prepare for burning then what would I do to get Nero to do the burn?

Vince
Old November 13th, 2005, 10:09 PM   #1094

DVDA will create the Video_TS and Audio_TS folders. Then you tell Nero to burn a DVD and point it to those folders as the source for the information. I'm not sure how you pick the break-point, though.
Old November 13th, 2005, 11:02 PM   #1095
Regular Crew

Vegas and External Control - Tascam US-428

Greetings,

Has anyone been using the Tascam US-428 as an external MIDI control interface with Vegas 6.0? I am curious how its controls are able to be mapped to Vegas, and how real-time the control is versus the Mackie control surface. I want to use this unit not only for cutting video video, but also for its ability to use a tactile interface for mixing multiple tracks of audio.

Your input is appreciated!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...