Vegas Video discussions from 2005 (Q3Q4) - Page 69 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old November 5th, 2005, 12:02 PM   #1021
Inner Circle

Until you actually go HDV for everything( all cameras) you could downconvert in camera ( capture to DV ) and just carry on as you would for DV editing. That is what I have done with my FX1 when mixed with other DV cameras. Saves a lot of time and you still have the original HDV tape to use in the future.

Ron Evans
Old November 5th, 2005, 02:37 PM   #1022
Regular Crew

Help! I lost my scrub bar

Something has happened to my Vegas 6. The scrub panel on the lower part of the timeline (you know where you can size the events and scrub through them) has disappeared. The vertical one is there but looks odd. This is crippling my editing ability. Anyone have any suggestions how to get that back? Reboots have been unsuccessful.

Thanks
Old November 5th, 2005, 03:02 PM   #1023
Sponsor: JET DV

Did you change your XP Windows theme? If you put it on the default theme does it come back?
Old November 5th, 2005, 03:29 PM   #1024
Regular Crew

I didn't change anything. I had just finished capturing a massive video file until my hardrive was nearly full. I then opened V6 and it froze, wouldn't open (an unusual occurrence). So I rebooted the computer and when I opened V6 I had lost the scrub bar. Should I just uninstall and then reinstall it? I switched back to Vegas 4 for the current project and it works fine.
Old November 5th, 2005, 07:52 PM   #1025
Tourist

Every 3 frames...

my exported avi is interlaced for 2 frames then deinterlaced for 3, and the pattern continues, producing a vibrating effect. My original footage is 60i, and I'm going for 24p.

Project properties:

Frame rate: 23.976
Motion blur type: gaussian
Deinterlace method: blend fields
Ruler time format: 23.976

Smart resampling and 'reduce interlace flicker' are both on.

When I go to export, I select NTSC DV 24p: 2-3 pulldown

What am I doing wrong here? Should I keep the project settings at 29.97 until I export?

Also, when I eventually convert to MPEG-2, should I use 23.976 as the frame rate, or continue to use 29.97, seeing as the exported avi is in a 29.97 shell?

Help computer.
Old November 5th, 2005, 09:34 PM   #1026
Sponsor: JET DV

I would first try holding down CTRL-SHIFT while opening Vegas 6. This reverts it back to "default" settings.
Old November 6th, 2005, 07:29 AM   #1027
Major Player

Making the background completely white

Did a small segment yesterday shooting an interview against a solid white background. We lit the scene the best we could and it looked fine on the LCD and monitor. However I have noticed that the top corner of the background has some light fallout. How can I make the entire background pure white?
I have played around with the glow and it works well for the background, but not the look I want for the subject.
Is there an easy way to cut out the subject and place him on a seperate track and then apply glow to the background?

Thanks
Old November 6th, 2005, 08:17 AM   #1028
Old Boot

Jeff you are welcome to send me sample and I will see what I can do. Apart from anything else I'll, be able to see what you mean.

Grazie
Old November 6th, 2005, 08:48 AM   #1029
Trustee

Jeff, you could add the shot again but above on the timeline, then move the frame until you get the area you need pure white from and then you can just apply a soft-edge wipe to matte it in.
I don't know Vegas, but the technique is the same - unless you have a clone tool available?

Robin
Old November 6th, 2005, 10:44 AM   #1030
Major Player

Here is a screenshot, it is kind of hard to see, but the top right hand side is not as white as the rest of the background
http://www.digitaliso.ca/Image8.jpg
Old November 6th, 2005, 10:57 AM   #1031
Old Boot

Well, I tried chroma-keying out as much of the b/g as poss. I then replaced the b/g with Vegas solid "white". If you want it I can email to you? Up to you. - G
Old November 6th, 2005, 11:47 AM   #1032
Old Boot

Hmmm . . the other thing I notice is that YOUR background is not WHITE. Well it might appear that way . . but I suppose you aren't "too" fussy about the white? Well, if this IS the case there is another way.

What I then did was duplicate the track above, and selected an lump of "whitish" area - this I chose the piece to the left of the chap. Then I made a Bezier mask of THAT area and then moved this area over to the RIGHT side of the picture. Using careful and subtle use of feather and colour corrector I think I've blended IN an area of this whiter "paint . .as it were. I think It kinda works. I'll do a Vegas grab of this and have it ready - if you want it?

You have probably realised that the problem you've got is that your backgrounds is not evenly non-white, so I needed to make a matching "blend" that would mask the greying area, in a gradual way . . yeah? I think the BEzier approach works better than the Chromakeying . . .

Grazie
Old November 6th, 2005, 11:59 AM   #1033
Old Boot

Yes, Robin, this is exactly what you can do I Vegas - no "clone" tool, but Bezier yes. . . I just read your post. Above is my approach which is an "echo" of what you say. G
Old November 6th, 2005, 04:27 PM   #1034
Major Player

Workflow: Vegas -> Sorenson -> Streaming host

I think Sorenson has the worst customer support and I'm ready to go to Cleaner any day. Today, however, the Sorenson Squeeze app really impressed me.

We host our streams on a streaming server (Akamai) and it was always a three step process to get the files up there, 1. Render from vegas, 2. Encode in sorenson, 3. FTP upload.

Today I right-clicked a job in Sorenson and found "assign additional tasks" and "Copy to FTP" under tasks. This in combination with the Squeeeze Watch folder feature over our Gigabit LAN means...

1. Export from Vegas on Editing box to the watchfolder on the Sorenson encoder box
2. Squeeze kicks in immediately and starts encoding whatever it finds in the watch folder.
3. When Squeeze finishes it uploads to the streaming server automagically.

Summary: Flash 8 (and everything else) from the Vegas timeline!
Sweet!

Also noticed that o2 has a Flash 8 Video Exporter http://www.on2.com/support-resources...xporter_Basic/
Anyone tried this with vegas?

/magnus
Old November 6th, 2005, 05:11 PM   #1035
Regular Crew

render problems

hey guys,

I've been doing a weekly TV series here in Hawaii. I recently started noticing a problem in Vegas. Sometimes to do a preview for the producer ill do a prerender on the whole project. When this is done the normal blue bars show up above the timeline. However, i find that if i make any changes anywhere in the timeline, all the blue bars disappear.

Let me clarify. If I make a change to the credits at the end, the blue bars dissappear from the beginning of the timline, for instance the intro and all the way down. so theres no blue bars left. This means that when finalize the project I gotta re-render all over again.

Thanks,

Greg
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...