Vegas Video discussions from 2005 (Q3Q4) - Page 83 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old November 26th, 2005, 04:17 PM   #1231
Wrangler

The XL2 shoots standard anamorphic DV at 720x480 (NTSC) or 720x576 (PAL). So you should use your NLE's preset for anamorphic DV. Don't confuse the CCD's image mapping with the data which is written to tape. All standard definition DV is 720x480.

I don't know what software you use, but on the Mac in FCP you would choose either the DV-NTSC Anamorphic or DV-PAL Anamorphic easy setup. These setting are actually identical to DV-NTSC and DV-PAL except the "Anamorphic" box is checked in the dialog.
Old November 26th, 2005, 04:48 PM   #1232
Regular Crew

Aye, thanks.
My school has, as they should, an all-mac platform, so I use FCP there... and I have a pc at home so Vegas is my NLE of choice.

I am still experimenting around with the camera, and I noticed allot of vertical smearing (best way I can describe it) in my footage. It disappears when I set to square pixels, regardless of the resolution.

Perhaps this is more of a Vegas question then, as opposed to one dealing with the camera itself.
Old November 26th, 2005, 05:10 PM   #1233
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff McElroy
the CCD blocks in the XL2 are uniquely built to support native 16:9 capture on a regular, non 16:9 1/3” chip.
The target area of the CCD is in fact native 16:9. See http://www.dvinfo.net/canonxl2/articles/article06.php for more details.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Old November 26th, 2005, 05:52 PM   #1234
Wrangler

Quote:
Perhaps this is more of a Vegas question then, as opposed to one dealing with the camera itself.
Jeff: I've moved this thread to the Vegas forum where someone will hopefully provide you with an answer.
Old November 26th, 2005, 05:58 PM   #1235

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff McElroy
Aye, thanks.
My school has, as they should, an all-mac platform, so I use FCP there... and I have a pc at home so Vegas is my NLE of choice.

I am still experimenting around with the camera, and I noticed allot of vertical smearing (best way I can describe it) in my footage. It disappears when I set to square pixels, regardless of the resolution.

if you're importing anamorphic into Vegas, then the PAR should be 1.212, but Vegas should also be sensing the flags, and setting it correctly for you, unless you're dropping it into a standard project.
http://www.vasst.com
Old November 26th, 2005, 07:18 PM   #1236
Regular Crew

sorry about this guys...

I solved the problem. The answer was so embarassingly simple that I don't even want to say.

Hopefully as I get better at being a ‘prosumer’, so-called, my participation here will have some more value.

Perhaps I will post some stills of my work in the days to come.

Again, thanks to all.

EDIT: Chris... I know that the target area is native widescreen... but the chip itself, including the inactive pixel space, is not 16:9, right?
Old November 27th, 2005, 09:27 AM   #1237
Major Player

nVidia offers a similar function to users of Magic Bullet now. I have had a string of bad ATI issues as a result of their drivers, so spending the money to buy one to replace my 6800 aside, I'd (most likely) never switch to ATI.
Old November 27th, 2005, 04:49 PM   #1238
Major Player

Saving JUST the clips I use - a function in VEGAS?

Hi folks, I've asked this before - back when I was using V5 but I wanted to find out if this function has been added to V6.

Maybe its the way I work but I since I came from an audio background, I got very used to bringing all the clips into the media manager (using SAWSTUDIO which I Love!) and then mixing my piece, and when I was done I would save the pieces that I used, by clicking "trim and save". SAWSTUDIO would then make new files of all the pieces that I had used in the timeline - trimming them to the size that I used, adding a little bit on each end if I wanted to.

This of course allowed me to save the pieces that I used in a much smaller archive than if I had to save all the pieces parts - including the pieces that I didn't use at all.

So my question is - is this function a part of VEGAS?

As I said maybe I need to change my style of working. I like to look at all the stuff in the trimmer and make decisions about what I want to use there, without editing while I capture the footage. Again, I might be missing something here that I just don't realize at all.

Anyway thanks for your help here.
Milt
Old November 27th, 2005, 06:33 PM   #1239

Yes, Vegas does this, always has.
Do a "Save As" and in that dialog, you'll see a "Copy And Trim" checkbox. This will then allow you to save XXX length heads and tails, and it will save exactly what's on the timeline with the heads and tails (if you want them) so you can delete the rest of the media that you didn't use. Be sure to save to a new folder or location so you don't mix the new save with the original media.
http://www.vasst.com
Old November 27th, 2005, 06:53 PM   #1240
Major Player

So FINE!! I really need to take a course in Vegas, so I don't miss all these really simple WONDERFUL things. I can't tell you how happy this makes me!!!

Milt
Old November 27th, 2005, 08:52 PM   #1241
Sponsor: JET DV

Milt, one thing you need to note about this process: Using DV-AVI as an example, the video will be copied to a new DV-AVI file. The audio will be copied to a separate W64 file. While you end up with 2 files, it can still save a lot of space. The resulting saved VEG file will properly reference both files, though, so it's an automatic process.
Old November 28th, 2005, 12:28 AM   #1242
Major Player

Good to know, I'll pay attention to that.
Milt
Old November 28th, 2005, 08:43 AM   #1243
Inner Circle

Vegas 6.0c running out of memory

I'm running out of memory during rendering. I'm absolutely beside myself...new system build, 2GB 667MHz DDR2 memory, low-level formatted my hard drive and reinstalled windows XP SP2 twice...

Disassembled entire PC, reseated all components, problem not fixed.

I gradually increased my page file to the point of having 4GB page files on each of 5 drives...i(total of 20GB) it helped in a previous installation, but only worked once...then I ran out of memory even with 20GB of page files.

Would bad memory sticks (Kingston 667 DDR2) cause this problem? The memory seems to check out fine during POST. Processor Pentium D 830.

If you have any suggestions please post or e-mail me

jeffharpervideo@yahoo.com
Old November 28th, 2005, 10:07 AM   #1244
Major Player

Are you trying to render a project that has a lot of large still images? If so, Vegas loads each file into memory and can eventually run out of memory. I have had the best luck using .PNG files and, if necessary, I render out a series of short sections and join them up later. Vegas v6.0c improved on the memory mamagement issue and it works much better than previous versions.

John
Old November 28th, 2005, 06:25 PM   #1245
Inner Circle

Thanks for your reply

John,

Yes...it is the photos...I have been using TIFF files...I can't believe it! When I scanned the photos for this project I used the TIFF setting instead of PNG...

These files are huge....that is most certainly the problem.

Incidentally, John, if you're interested, Sony gave me a workaround which I got from them earlier...they had me go to PREFERENCES - VIDEO-tab and then change the "MAXIMUM NUMBER OF RENDERING THREADS" to a lower setting. I did this and found after trial and error I had to reduce it to 1 (ONE). It slowed down my rendering time, but who cares...I don't have to redo the project!

Best Regards,

Jeff Harper
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...