Vegas Video discussions from 2005 (Q3Q4) - Page 89 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old December 5th, 2005, 08:10 AM   #1321
Sponsor: JET DV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Stark
I was selecting multiple events either on the timeline or in the media pool then right clicking/properties/pixel aspect ratio.
Using the Properties tab in Excalibur will allow easily changing that particular property for all selected events. The two free tools mentioned by Spot do something different than that. I'm not sure if Ultimate S adjusts that particular setting but know it does have many aspect related tools.
Old December 5th, 2005, 08:13 AM   #1322

When you apply a Velocity Envelope, you can adjust speeds as desired but it will NOT adjust the length of the event to match the new speed. One thing you might consider (especially if you only want a single speed for the entire event) is the CTRL-Resize method. Hold down the control key, resize the event to the desired length, and the speed will be adjusted to match.

Another solution would be to use a script. A script can then apply your desired velocity setting and adjust the length of the event to match.
Old December 5th, 2005, 10:27 AM   #1323
Inner Circle

You guys are giving me (and I suspect many others) more and more reasons to investigate Excalibur and UltimateS. I feel a letter to Santa coming on . . .
Old December 5th, 2005, 10:35 AM   #1324
Trustee

thx DSG, i just wanna confirm some of what i knew or didn't and what i needed to brush up on.

it looks like i need to buy the DV Proxy and then do the tutorial and then i should be A-OK to go! thx for the help.
Old December 5th, 2005, 10:53 AM   #1325
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence Kingston
I'm not talking about 704x480 letterbox. I'm talking about 704x480 anamorphic. I find it strange that no-one else is complaining about the slight difference between the rectangular shapes of 16:9 SD and 16:9 HDV. 16:9 anamorphic 720x480 video is a little wider than 16:9 1080i HDV video. 704x480 SD video is a better match.
Yes everything I created thus far is anamorphic. Looks great on my 16x9 TV as the entire screen is filled. Haven't seen any black pillars on the sides at all but then again I haven't tried this yet on a 4:3 screen - maybe if I do then as the image is cropped for display then the pillars will show up on the sides plus the banding at the top... Is this what you're referring to?

" I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here! ..."
Old December 5th, 2005, 12:00 PM   #1326
Major Player

Douglas,

Thanks! Every comment gets me closer to my goal.

I have Vegas 6 and when I look under Properties, Audio, I don't see the item you mentioned.

Under Media Manager I have a lot of different "tags" like snare, cymbal, hi-hat etc. but I can't get them on to my timeline or even to preview.

I only need some background music so my project isn't complicated. I would really like to learn how to use this part of Vegas.

Tery

sort of from "The Princess Bride"

www.indicam.com
Old December 7th, 2005, 12:55 AM   #1327
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Troxel
If you render a DV-AVI file in Vegas to another DV-AVI file and you have made NO changes, it will be a straight file copy so there will be NO generational loss.
Does this apply to Splitting and/or Trimming a file too?
Old December 7th, 2005, 08:02 AM   #1328
Regular Crew

"import audio at project tempo" option is at options\preferences\audio tab in vegas 6.
and you still need an audio editor to use sony loops. you can define the editor from the same tab.
Old December 7th, 2005, 08:33 AM   #1329

If you pop a DV-AVI file on the timeline, you select a small region of that file, and then you render to a new DV-AVI file, it will simply COPY that small region from the original file to a new file.

If you put two DV-AVI files on the timeline and you render them both to a single new file, it will simply COPY those two files into the single new file.

This is, of course, assuming no added effects or crossfades, etc...
Old December 7th, 2005, 09:08 AM   #1330
Major Player

Color Corrector Question

I'm using Vegas 5 and have a fifty minute documentary of various interviews. Some sequences require an increase in color saturation (using the Color Corrector), but I'm having trouble limiting these changes to just the shots I want and not automatically making the rest of the documentary change too, as what has happened so far when I adjust one sequence. It's already rendered in mpg, and am wondering how I can limit just how certain shots can be controlled without the program automatically blanketing the whole documentary with these changes.

Thanks!
Old December 7th, 2005, 09:34 AM   #1331
Sponsor: VASST

It sounds like you may be adding color correction at the track level. Try adding it at the clip/event level. If there is just a section of an event you want to affect, use the ‘S’ key to split the event and then just apply color correction to the split part.

~jr
Old December 7th, 2005, 10:19 AM   #1332
Major Player

Glass titles with underlying video

I'd like to create an effect where large "glass" looking titles move across the screen and reveal video playing through them.

I can handle basic things like a transparent title effect, but what would I use to create an 3d glass looking title sequence.

Boris is beyond my price range is this something that Swish could do and can it then allow underlying tracks to show through the "glass"?
Old December 7th, 2005, 02:52 PM   #1333
Regular Crew

DV AVI Codec (w/o compression) blurry + low quality

Hello,

This makes me go crazy... slowly..:) .

I have shot a project together with 2 friends of mine, the material was seperated and everybody put together his own part (using a "fresh" Vegas installation.

Right now I have two computers in front of me. All I am trying is to put out the timeline of one computer as PAL DV AVI file (without any compression but not in the "uncompressed" mode). The Video put out by one of the PCs is always blurry w. compression artifacts - the other is absulutely fine.

Now I reset Vegas (Ctrl + Shift), and tried it with a whole new project (putting out a simple Title. One PC is blurry, the other is absolutely fine.

Funny but true: The Preview window shows the video in full size and w/o artifacts.

Please, please keep me from going crazy. (I even tried to use the Microsoft Codec :) - which is fairly close to >OAFNBsid<ugb.

Thank you!

Matthias Zimmermann
Old December 7th, 2005, 08:03 PM   #1334
Inner Circle

Keystone

How do you keystone a video clip in vegas 6. For example, in a similar way you key a projector when you are not square on the angle. I want to key a video to match a projector screen at an angle.

I've done a little searching, I wonder if this is possible.
Old December 7th, 2005, 08:41 PM   #1335
Inner Circle

The one thing that comes to mind is in TRACK MOTION and using the 3d effect. Set the angle on the 1st frame with a keyframe and you should be set.
Don
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...