Vegas Video discussions from 2005 (Q3Q4) - Page 96 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old December 15th, 2005, 11:24 AM   #1426
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Troxel
Beyond trying to reinstall Noise Reduction from the original source, I would contact Sony Tech Support.

Another option might be to totally uninstall everything Sony, delete the folders, and then reinstall everything.
It's not just NR that's affected - it virtually everything in Vegas, Sound Forge, AFAIK Acid, etc. According to what I've read on the Sony forum, delete and reinstall doesn't fix it - it's something about the "c" update.
Old December 15th, 2005, 01:35 PM   #1427
Major Player

Ok, I have Canon XL-H1 (24f) & Vegas....let's get it started...

What do I do?
What are my options and solutions?

David Newman/Cineform? Anything? DSE/Vasst? Anything?

I AM NOT changing my editing platform...that's not an option. SO what can I do....

Also...for those projects where I won't be in charge of Post-Production, it is safe to say it will probably be cut on Apple FCP....What are the options there as of now?

lay it on me!

- ShannonRawls.com
Old December 15th, 2005, 02:24 PM   #1428
Trustee

I just tried it. Stuck a PAL clip on an NTSC timeline and the thing played back fine. I haven't yet done a render out and visual check to see how it looks though.

Stability wise - FCP is pretty good for me so far. If vegas was a 10, I'd currently give this an 8.5, maybe a 9. After a few more projects I'll have more of a sample.
Old December 15th, 2005, 02:57 PM   #1429

You'll just have to ask in person tonight at the HDV course, Shannon!
:-)
http://www.vasst.com
Old December 15th, 2005, 04:41 PM   #1430
Major Player

30p/24p mixed

Hi - What happens if I try to add some 30p footage to a 24p project. Moreover, can it be done?
Old December 15th, 2005, 05:39 PM   #1431
Inner Circle

Vegas will probably try to resample it, converting it from 30p to 24p. It may not look so great?

You can go into the clip properties and disable resampling I believe. I think Vegas would then just drop some frames.

2- If you did NOT shoot 24p advanced, you can mix the two frame rates in a 60i project fine.
Old December 15th, 2005, 06:46 PM   #1432

MIchael,
Don't worry about it, you *might* notice some artifacts on fine horizontal lines, but that's about it. Vegas can down convert it just fine. I'd recommend leaving resampling on, actually. This is one of the things we show in the HDV training course, so I do this fairly regularly.
http://www.vasst.com
Old December 15th, 2005, 07:41 PM   #1433
Inner Circle

Spot's probably right here. I don't play around with different frame rates in the same project at all.
Old December 15th, 2005, 08:33 PM   #1434
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Connect HD 2.1 should be available by the end of the day tomorrow. This adds Canon XL-H1 support, just like Aspect HD 3.4 did last week.
Old December 15th, 2005, 08:52 PM   #1435
Major Player

Fantastic! Thanks so much - Just some old clips from last summer were thinking about putting just a couple quick shots in a music video, no one would ever notice anything. Thanks again and Happy Holidays..
Old December 15th, 2005, 09:00 PM   #1436
Regular Crew

Hey PAL, Please Help !

Hey PAL, guys and gals,

I am shooting a project with my PD -170. My client wants the final copies to be in NTSC and PAL format. NTSC-no problem.

If I want this same project to be played back in PAL land,

Can I render as MPEG-2 DVD PAL or DVDA PAL video stream in Vegas,
Open this project in DVDA-create menu,
Burn to a standard DVD+R ,
And ship to PAL land for proper playback?

Or do I need other hardware for this? What if my client wants a VHS tape to be sent to PAL land? Do I need special hardware for this?

Or can I...

In Vegas, print to dv tape using PAL DV setting to a standard mini-dv tape, and then copy from this mini-dv tape to a regular VHS tape on a regular (NTSC) VCR?

Or do I need special hardware for this? Do I need a PAL VCR?

The client wants the tape to be sent to a country in Africa for viewing.

Your help will be greatly appreciated.
Old December 15th, 2005, 09:34 PM   #1437
Trustee

i think we really should make this a "sticky" or a reference somewhere on DVI.

aspect ratio vs. pixel crop size for the final results. both a chart of common aspect ratios and its pixel sizes and formulas on howto do it.
Old December 15th, 2005, 11:32 PM   #1438
Major Player

OH SNAP....Lemme see if I can make it over there....My Palm reminded me, but I hit snooze.

- shan
Old December 16th, 2005, 07:06 AM   #1439
New Boot

Newbie Help Required - HD Editing

Hi. I've just sold my Canon GL2 (XM2) and will be upgrading to the HDR-FX1.

I currently use Sony Vegas 6.0c & DVD Architect 3 for editing and compiling DVDs. I have a 3 Gig AMD 64+ processor with 300gig hard drive, with 960MB of RAM - all operating off Windows XP Prof. 64 Bit platform.

I have never used HD camcorders before and have never edited HD format. I have done some research, so have a basic understanding. I believe the advice is to try and avoid editing .mt2 directly in the timeline, as this is heavy on system resources.

So I have a few questions, if anyone can help, would be extremely grateful:

1. Is it better to allow Sony Vegas to downconvert HD video, or to get the HDR-FX1 to do this?
2. Do I require any additional codecs to allow this, or to allow for improved video quality and if so, which codecs? I've heard talk of CineForm and Gearshift??? Are these must haves?
3. Is the video quality of downcoverted HD 3CCD video better than that captured off a standard definition 3CCD camcorder, like the CANON GL2 (XM2)?

Thanks in advance.
Old December 16th, 2005, 10:07 AM   #1440
Sponsor: VASST

Sean,

Wow you are in for a treat when your FX1 arrives. Prepare to be blown away by the quality of HD. ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Gallagher
1. Is it better to allow Sony Vegas to downconvert HD video, or to get the HDR-FX1 to do this?
Technically, Vegas does a better job at downconverting, but practically speaking, you have to judge for yourself. I have done it both ways and these ole' tired eyes can’t tell the difference so I downconvert in the camera which is much faster (i.e., real-time capture) Do a test and see for yourself, if you can’t tell the difference, you have your answer.

Quote:
2. Do I require any additional codecs to allow this, or to allow for improved video quality and if so, which codecs? I've heard talk of CineForm and Gearshift??? Are these must haves?
No, Vegas has everything you need so you don’t “require” anything else. Cineform and Gearshift are productivity tools that are great to have though. Gearshift will convert your M2T files to DV proxies and/or Cineform intermediaries and allow you to work at DV speed on the proxies, then swap the original M2T files for the final render at high quality. Cineform will allow you to capture directly to its intermediary codec so that saves you time instead of converting later as a second step. (it also has a nice 24p capture and other tools, if you’re into that)

I use both at different times. Obviously, I wrote Gearshift so I use that, :) but there are times I want to go straight to Cineform intermediary and don’t have time for the double render so I use Connect HD.

Quote:
3. Is the video quality of downcoverted HD 3CCD video better than that captured off a standard definition 3CCD camcorder, like the CANON GL2 (XM2)?
ABSOLUTELY! You are acquiring your footage at 1440x1080 in 4:2:0 colorspace and then downconverting to 720x480 4:1:1. This yields a superior image than acquiring at 720x480 4:1:1 to begin with. The difference is very noticeable.

For example: I just shot a play in a venue that I’ve recorded before. The stage has black curtains all around the back and sides. In my SD footage, the back curtains are just a blur of black. This year with my Sony Z1, I could see every fold in the black curtains even when downconverted in camera to SD. There was just more information in the image and it was obvious. Even my wife commented how much better it was when viewing the SD DVD version.

~jr
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...