Vegas Video discussions from 2006 (Q3Q4) - Page 117 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old December 17th, 2006, 11:49 PM   #1741
Inner Circle

in vidcap, options, preferences, capture, uncheck scene detection

also ensure that the HDD is not running as FAT32

as for dropouts, ensure that the HDD is defragmented, and that its not being accessed for anythign else..

what amazes me about vidcap is how weak it is.. when scenelyzer live can do as many streams as u throw it at, Vidcap struggles with one...
Old December 18th, 2006, 12:44 AM   #1742
Inner Circle

problem solved

So I decided to remove and reinstall vegas. before I uninstalled I decided to also dump an Angelina Jolie screen saver that had mysteriously attached itself after a visit to youtube. After dumping Angelina, for the heck of it I opened vegas and the titler worked!

The moral of the story? Who knows. Maybe Angelina is a Final Cut fangirl.

This is no joke.
Old December 18th, 2006, 12:52 AM   #1743
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Delaney
I tried capturing a full DV tape tonight and it gave me about 100 different files. What is the way in preferences to make it one big file? Also, there are some dropped frames as well - how can I prevent this?

Thanks
not sure about this but i think if your hd is filling up it'll be inclined to drop frames. and do you have a hd dedicated to capture?
Old December 18th, 2006, 02:01 AM   #1744
Regular Crew

Thank you for your monitor recommendation

I will... seriously consider a professional monitor in the future but as it is my Indi is running over budget as it is... don't they always... Strange thing is the Vegas preview is a different color than the Windows Media Player render and My DVD software player. The Vegas preview is less saturated... is there a way to calibrate the little preview in the bottom right? The color from the DVD software player is closest to my TV so that is what I am basing my "coloring" on now. By the way... wouldn't just a cheap TV from the goodwill be a alternate "monitor" that would give me pretty close representation of what the real TV color is?
Old December 18th, 2006, 06:39 AM   #1745
Inner Circle

You will almost never be able to "calibrate" a CRT monitor to get true color or exposure of tape. If you can't do a monitor then at least preview off of a TV as you suggested. On many of even the less expensive small screen you can make some adjustments for color, tint, brightness,contrast etc so I would first put up a color bar frrom Vegas and even though you won't be able to get a TRUE setting you can at least make some adjustments so the colors are fairly close to real. Don't forget to also set a B&W bar set also.
Again, this will not replace a production monitor but it is worlds ahead of the computer monitor.

Don
Old December 18th, 2006, 08:10 AM   #1746
Inner Circle

And one thing that is painfully clear, the tv sets now-a-days have a variety of settings which can affect how something will look. So what might help is, on your final version, if you have something old something new in terms of a television.
Old December 18th, 2006, 09:11 AM   #1747
Regular Crew

Panasonic P2 files

Is there any other way besides RayLight to get P2 HD files in Vegas 7.0 Thanks
Old December 18th, 2006, 09:41 AM   #1748

CineForm and Serious Magic both offer alternatives to Raylight. Serious Magic is now Adobe, but the website still reflects their conversion package.
http://www.vasst.com
Old December 18th, 2006, 10:26 AM   #1749
Trustee

no joke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Jefferson
in vidcap, options, preferences, capture, uncheck scene detection

also ensure that the HDD is not running as FAT32

as for dropouts, ensure that the HDD is defragmented, and that its not being accessed for anythign else..

what amazes me about vidcap is how weak it is.. when scenelyzer live can do as many streams as u throw it at, Vidcap struggles with one...
I just bought an external HD for backup and one of my projects cannot be backed up to it because it has a single clip that is about 2.2GB. This drive is "Mac compatible" so it is FAT32. that measn the largest file is 2GB. So I'll have to either detelet the contents and reformat, or find a utility to transform the file system on the fly.

jason
Old December 18th, 2006, 11:30 AM   #1750
Sponsor: JET DV

FAT32 has a 4 Gig file size limit.
Old December 18th, 2006, 04:05 PM   #1751
New Boot

Thanks Ed. I tried your suggestion to no avail. I tried reinstalling Vegas and Cineform to no avail. I tried reinstalling XP to no avail. I'm at a loss. I think that I have the same problem as Will Scanlon, in that I have over 60 minutes of footage and can't load it at all. And I get no error message.

The only thing I can think of is if upgrading from Cineform 3.0??? to 3.3 screwed it up. I sent a tech support email to Cineform to try and get a link to download the old version of ConnectHD.

Other than that, I'd have to start over, which I'm hesitant to do, because it is a 90 minute project and I don't want to start over and have the same thing happen. Ahhhhhhhhh!
Old December 18th, 2006, 04:27 PM   #1752
Trustee

No my hard drive is pretty big, so I don't think that is the problem... I am going to try my SATA drive too and see what happens.
Old December 18th, 2006, 09:16 PM   #1753
Trustee

Analogue - digital pass - Vegas stops after 8 seconds?

I am running an older high 8 camera through my digital camera into Vegas capture. It sees it and it captures ok, but stops each time after only about 8 seconds of video - how come? Capturing is fine any other time ,but this is strange - always 8 seconds and the video from the high 8 does not stop and it one continuous scene so I am not sure what is happening. Any ideas?
Old December 18th, 2006, 09:34 PM   #1754
Major Player

hard to tell, but do you have vegas set to stop capturing on dropped frames? It's in the cap. prefs..try unchecking that and see if frames are dropping..if so, is it something with your PC or the drive you are using?

Do you have scene detection off and any other prefs unchecked for camera control, since you are basically using firewire to send a dv signal, but don't want vegas to control the tape transport.

Sounds like trial and error will be needed to narrow down the problem. When you capture dv tape from that same digital camcorder, does it work ok? how about a different hi8 tape using your setup (do you have one)?

You may not want to fool w/ other software, but scenalyzer live is also decent for catpure... http://www.scenalyzer.com/

hope this helps a little .. maybe nothing you didn't think of ...
Old December 18th, 2006, 10:02 PM   #1755
Trustee

Thanks for the advice. I actually managed to capture using WinXp movie maker - don't ask me why it works.
I have scene detection and stop on dropped frame already off. Back in the VV4 days, I managed to do this using digital-analog pass, but with VV6 and XP, it doesn't like it and hence the 'stop after 8 seconds'. It is like clockwork - no matter where on the tape (and I have used two different high 8 units as well). I guess I will have to go with Moviemaker for capturing, although I would prefer Vegas because the file size seems to be smaller, or maybe it is just me...
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...