Vegas Video discussions from 2006 (Q3Q4) - Page 119 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old December 20th, 2006, 10:09 AM   #1771
Regular Crew

Thanks for the help Spot.

I will get the book/DVD training. Seems like I am going to need it.

John
Old December 20th, 2006, 02:06 PM   #1772
Trustee

mouse over learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin James
my goodness, it really is that easy, hahahahah

Thanks Guys, this is going to save me so much time in the long run!!!
I am kind of the opposite. I learned everything in vegas from mousing around and seeing what tips or text popped up. I clicked everything.... right clicked everything, and just looked through the edit and view menus.

Consequently, I only learned the immediately available tools and nothing too complicated. As a result I have a wedding project that has about 12 audio tracks and 10 video tracks so I probably do things the most complicated way possible.

jason
Old December 20th, 2006, 04:43 PM   #1773
Major Player

Wow Kev, your old method for fades was really taking the long way home...I'm gonna be reexamining my Vegas techniques more closely now, since I'm sure I've got some editing habits that take me on the scenic route, too.
Old December 20th, 2006, 04:46 PM   #1774
Major Player

(in a Tommy Chong voice) Wow, I've done that too, man! Actually, I usually do that more than once per editing session, especially when I'm zoned in and trying to finish a project at 3 or 4 in the morning, and it all seems to blur together...
Old December 20th, 2006, 08:40 PM   #1775
Inner Circle

Recently completed a workflow to youtube, see my video at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S45OJnQp6mI

This clip has lots of very smooth motion in the subject (you'll see), and I thought the motion through youtube was very acceptable.

I edited HDV on the timeline and used the mikecrash.com deinterlacer on the track for a render to 320x240 QT, which is what I uploaded. Note that youtube is 4:3 aspect ratio only, as near as I can figure out.

I'm very happy with the deinterlacer, would like to do more testing with the QT intermediate to see if I can improve the quality.
Old December 20th, 2006, 11:28 PM   #1776
New Boot

Capture from A1 using Vegas 7

Hi,
I have a PC running XP SP2 with all in one ATI 128 graphic card.
When connect my A1, it is recognized as Microsoft AV/C Tape subunit device,
then when I try to capture with Vegas via firewire, it says the device could not be open or being use by another program,
meanwhile I can capture via the ATi.
I tried to turn it on and off, but nothing happened.

Please advise on where the problem would be and how to fix it.

Much thanks

tung

Nevermind, got to capture in HD since i taped in HD. I thought by choosing to capture in DV mode it would automatically downconvert for me, but no.

Thanks

Last edited by T. Pham; December 21st, 2006 at 12:47 AM.
Old December 21st, 2006, 09:13 AM   #1777
Obstreperous Rex

Folks, we're trying to keep the forum tightly focused on Vegas discussions only... so, if you have questions for Graham about how to access his SKYPEcast, or for any more info about what he's doing with this and when, please contact him off of the boards via email at:

graham_bernard at lycos dot co dot uk

Thanks in advance,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Old December 21st, 2006, 11:29 AM   #1778
Major Player

DVD3 Problem

I'm trying to prep/burn a disc, but I keep getting "there is not enough space in the prepare folder for the DVD." That's fine, but there's no clue given how I can remedy this. I've done the usual hard drive elimination of temp files, etc., but within the DVD3 program I don't know what to do. The disc contents are within the space limits of the DVD, incidentally (4.1 GB). Help!

Thanks...
Old December 21st, 2006, 12:10 PM   #1779
Sponsor: JET DV

How much drive space is free where you told it to prepare? Under Options - Preferences on the "Burning" tab, where is the "Default Prepare Folder" and "Temporary Files Folder" boxes pointing? How much space is fee in both of those locations? My guess would be the "Temporary Files" location is pointing to drive "C" and there's not enough free space there.
Old December 21st, 2006, 01:12 PM   #1780
Major Player

(blush)

My mistake--I wildly underestimated how much space was left in my hard drive, owing to some recent capturing. I've deleted various files and now I'm back on track.

Thanks again though for your advice.
Old December 22nd, 2006, 05:53 AM   #1781
Regular Crew

How do I get "Full Screen" view of edits?

I am having a hard time finding how to get a full screen view on Vegas 7. I just select Full Screen on my Mac but have not fiqured it out on the PC with Vegas. I am sure someone will tell it is page "X".
Old December 22nd, 2006, 07:20 AM   #1782
Major Player

Hi John,

I'm not sure if Vegas does this on your primary monitor. If you are previewing on an external monitor via your camcorder or firewire device (ads pyro) then it will playback full screen.

Otherwise, drag the preview window out and set the playback quality to Best FULL. On my monitor here I get it showing about two thirds of of the screen.

If there is a way, I'm sure some of the more knowledgable Vegas guys will correct me.

Hope this is of some help.
Old December 22nd, 2006, 08:18 AM   #1783
Inner Circle

Alastair is right.
If you don't have a 2nd monitor then undock the preview screen, set it to any of the FULL settings and it will be about as full size as you can make it. You can of course resize the screen but it will only get as large as the viewing screen. For edit work I check it on preview full and for color and exposure I check it on a seperate tv run thru the 1394 pass thru.
Don
Old December 22nd, 2006, 10:41 AM   #1784
Regular Crew

Vegas, preview vs render

Hi everybody!

I have a little problem, i'm testing vegas 7 with chromakey, everything seems to work fine exept when i render the file... the preview looks and sounds exactly how i want it to be but when i render it, it comes out very different, for exemple : i filmed myself in front of a greenscreen (track #1 & #2 / video & audio) also added a jpg file as background (track #3) then added the event FX : "Chroma Keyer" to track #1 and also a "timecode" to track #3, to see the timecode on the video file itself.

But when i render it as a AVI or MPG or whatever, the first 10frames of the video file are ok, but then a still image of another video file (not even involved in this project) pops up and blocks 3/4 of the screen, the sound is ok.

I'm new to Vegas 7, so i don't know much about this program, i'm in the learning and testing phase, i tought this would be the best program for my HDR-FX1.

Thanks in advance!! and happy holidays!!
Donald Blake
Old December 22nd, 2006, 11:58 AM   #1785
Inner Circle

For some reason this hapens once in a while. I've found the only way to get around it is to close the project without saving-close the program and reopen and redo the work I did. Its a PITA but somewhere in there is a frame of something thats causing the problem. Luckily it only has happened to me I think 3 time over the years with Vegas. Once with 3, once with 4 and once with 5. I know its a pain to redo the work but also check frame by frame just to see if theres a frame in there that doesn't belong. Zoom the timeline a big as you can so you can see it frame by frame.

Don
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...