Vegas Video discussions from 2006 (Q3Q4) - Page 116 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old December 16th, 2006, 10:39 PM   #1726
Sponsor: JET DV

Yes, View - Waveforms and frames will change this. However, it will ALSO turn off the wave form drawing in the audio which is not something most people want. But using the keyboard shortcut, you can quickly switch between the two.
Old December 16th, 2006, 10:41 PM   #1727

You could post the VEG file and see if someone else can load it.
Old December 16th, 2006, 10:45 PM   #1728

Your problem is that you're replacing a 2 second clip with a 4 second clip. However, the clip on the timeline is still 2 seconds. You need to get the timeline event length changed. The quickest way to do that would be via a script but you can manually do it as well.
Old December 16th, 2006, 11:02 PM   #1729
New Boot

I can open the veg file on my laptop, so it doesn't appear to be a problem with a corrupt veg file. But I tried reinstalling both Vegas and ConnectHD with no luck. It still errors out at 6% every time.
Old December 16th, 2006, 11:07 PM   #1730

Can you try moving the clips to an unknown location, open the VEG file, and then start trying to reattach them one at a time?
Old December 17th, 2006, 01:16 AM   #1731
Regular Crew

Thank you

Gentlemen. Greatly appriciated. On another personal rant at/to myself... I think it's time for a "monitor" of sorts I think... everything colored in vegas looks different when rendered out and then once again on a TV... Hmmm... it's a pain "testing" 4 or 5 different "versions"...
Old December 17th, 2006, 06:10 AM   #1732
Inner Circle

dual monitor in Vegas - PAL in 60 Hz?

I have the ATI Radeon X1600XT card with VIVO and HDTV output (as the second display option to DVI-D). I've just bough the V1E which comes with the Vegas 7 NLE, which has the nice option to use the secondary monitor for preview. I don't have 2 physical monitors; instead I'm planning to use the two inputs of my 1920x1200 24" LCD. The PC input is of course the DVI, but I also have the HDTV output of the graphics card connected to the 1080i capable component input of the monitor, so when I need a preview full screen, I just press the input button on the monitor and voila - it works!

However, I've got a problem configuring the ATI Catalyst for component HDTV: it does recognize my LCD component input, but only in the 1080i/30 Hz mode, which is OK for NTSC, but not for PAL! I realize the monitor - being LCD - is not capable of 25 or 50 Hz refresh rate, so I'd probably need a multiscanning CRT monitor (or a CRT HDTV) to use the PAL mode...

Now, my question is this: what is the influence of displaying a PAL 1080i material with 30 rather than 25 (or 50) Hz refresh rate? I can see the output just all right - there's even not to much movement jerkiness. I'm just wondering whether previewing in 1080i/30Hz is representative to the true output quality of a PAL video - in terms of colors, resolution etc?
Old December 17th, 2006, 07:26 AM   #1733
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Downs
... I think it's time for a "monitor" of sorts I think...
My personal recommendation for a decent monitor that (I think) won't break the bank is the JVC TMH-150CGU 15-Inch color production monitor. It has 750 lines of horizontal resolution, underscan switch, blue gun only switch, 16:9 and 4:3 aspect switch and is NTSC and PAL switchable. B&H has it for $500.
To set it up properly, follow the steps at http://videouniversity.com/tvbars2.htm
I use several in student edit suites at the college I work for and have recommended this monitor numerous times to other Vegas users. Everyone who has bought one has been very happy with it.
Old December 17th, 2006, 04:24 PM   #1734
Inner Circle

all of a sudden I can't do titles in vegas 6

I was trying to add some titles to a little project. I don't know how i did it but when i hit the media generator tab and selected text and dragged it to the the timeline it seems i wasn't given the window to actually WRITE the titles--as if I accidentally disabled it somehow. This is in Vegas 6. How did I screw up this time?
Old December 17th, 2006, 04:30 PM   #1735

It may be you docked the title dialog in one of the docking windows.
Click/select the small green box in the top right corner of your text event, and that should show you the titling dialog.
Or, make a selection in the blank area of an existing or new video track, right click inside the selection, and choose "Insert Text Media" from the sub dialog that opens. This should also show you the Text Editor/Text dialog, even if it's docked. Drag it out of the docking area, if this is the case.
http://www.vasst.com
Old December 17th, 2006, 04:40 PM   #1736
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle
It may be you docked the title dialog in one of the docking windows.
Click/select the small green box in the top right corner of your text event, and that should show you the titling dialog.
Or, make a selection in the blank area of an existing or new video track, right click inside the selection, and choose "Insert Text Media" from the sub dialog that opens. This should also show you the Text Editor/Text dialog, even if it's docked. Drag it out of the docking area, if this is the case.
Tried those things and it still won't give me the text editor box! I click the little green box and tried right clicking. It's strange though, it seems like the text editor is going to open, but it doesn't. hmmmm....
Old December 17th, 2006, 04:58 PM   #1737
Regular Crew

did you drag it off the screen somehow?
restart holding shift for defaults.
(will change all defaults)
Old December 17th, 2006, 05:43 PM   #1738
Inner Circle

If (I don't know your setup) but IF you are using 2 screens to edit on and you have the preview screen set to the windows display and have set it to show external monitor the text editor might be hidden behind the full preview screen. Like i said, I'm guessing because I don't know your setup.

Don
Old December 17th, 2006, 10:12 PM   #1739
Trustee

Capturing a tape - why does it break it down into 100 scenes?

I tried capturing a full DV tape tonight and it gave me about 100 different files. What is the way in preferences to make it one big file? Also, there are some dropped frames as well - how can I prevent this?

Thanks
Old December 17th, 2006, 11:33 PM   #1740
Regular Crew

Hey David good question, I would like to know the same thing. It would be better to have one big event in the time line and put a couple of fade in or out where I want.
Steve
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...