Can't Select Video FX Icons on clips on the timeline at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old December 6th, 2010, 05:12 PM   #1
Trustee

Can't Select Video FX Icons on clips on the timeline

I'm using Vegas Pro 10 and I have managed to do something that keeps me from opening the Video FX icon on individual clips in the time line. This only happens on one track. The other tracks work fine. It is associated with the project. I can close and reopen Vegas and reopen the project and the problem still exists. I'm sure it's something I did but for the life of me I can't figure out what.

I experimented with individual clips and found that it is somehow a track property that is causing this. I can drag a clip to another track and I can then select the Video FX icon just fine. Or I can drag a clip from another track to the problem track and then I can't select the Video FX icon.

Any suggestions?

Last edited by Jim Snow; December 6th, 2010 at 05:47 PM. Reason: Added more information
Jim Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2010, 05:55 PM   #2
Major Player

Maybe it is a bug with you project. Try opening another instance of Vegas and copy/paste your whole project in that new instance.

Hope it helps

Phil
Phil Gosselin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2010, 11:42 PM   #3
Old Boot

Here's a thought, perhaps you are, it's just that the FX menu has been collapsed to a few pixels. I've had this before with Control menus. I hadn't been aware that I had previously collapsed the menu/s. Nonetheless, there it was, tucked up in the top left corner. Now, my theory falls on its face as to why this does NOT happen to Newly placed events. But again that is clue too.

Anyway, try and have a real good, careful look around your Workspace maybe it's lurking and you haven't seen it?

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2010, 11:58 PM   #4
Trustee

Thanks Graham but that doesn't appear to be the problem. I misspoke earlier. It happens all the time now. I tried removing and reinstalling Vegas Pro 10 but that didn't do anything. It isn't something in the project file. I installed Vegas on my laptop and my projects behave normally there. The only clue I have is that I was working away normally earlier in the day and suddenly it stopped working correctly. Perhaps I hit a key that caused it?
Old December 7th, 2010, 12:06 AM   #5
Trustee

ctl+shift+c
Leslie Wand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2010, 12:16 AM   #6
Trustee

Thanks Leslie but all that seems to do is make the icon appear or go away. When it appears, it still doesn't cause the FX dialog box to appear when I click on it.
Old December 7th, 2010, 12:22 AM   #7
Trustee

sorry.

have you tried selecting default screen layout? maybe the dialogue box is opening somewhere 'off' screen?
Old December 7th, 2010, 12:27 AM   #8
Trustee

Thanks sounds like you may be onto something. Where do I set default screen layout?
Old December 7th, 2010, 12:36 AM   #9
Old Boot

Cleaned out the keyboard lately?

I once had a Ctrl key sticking, and THAT was a real PITA! It was only when, in a fit of peek, I smashed my keys and a cloud of detritus blew up in my face that I thought: Allo' Allo', wots all this then??? I then turned the kb upside down, holding the connect wire, and thwacked its backside, new born baby kinda way, and BINGO! - Could've made soup out of what fell to Earth

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2010, 12:42 AM   #10
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Snow View Post
Thanks sounds like you may be onto something. Where do I set default screen layout?
view > windows layouts
Old December 7th, 2010, 11:14 AM   #11
Trustee

Thanks everyone for your suggestions but none of these things were the problem. I even tried a different keyboard. Since I have confirmed on another computer that the project file is fine and have uninstalled and reinstalled Vegas on my problem system with no effect on the problem, it may be that whatever mode it is apparently stuck in is 'planted' in the registry. I may need to uninstall Vegas again and run a registry cleaner before reinstalling Vegas.

Please let me know if you have any other ideas. Thanks!
Old December 7th, 2010, 11:25 AM   #12
Trustee

Here's another piece of info. I still have Vegas Pro 9 on my system. Although it can't open Pro 10 .veg files, I loaded a Ver 9 .veg file and everything works normally. I can then load that same .veg file into Pro 10 and I have the problem. Whatever it is appears to be Ver. 10 specific. It's strange because I have been using Pro 10 for over 2 months without a problem.
Old December 7th, 2010, 11:28 AM   #13
Regular Crew

May be a bug. Check out this thread. http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-hap...ficulties.html
Jim Schuchmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2010, 12:02 PM   #14
Trustee

I also posted a tech support question yesterday with Sony. How long does it usually take these guys to respond. Are they truthful or do they play the "Aw shucks, by golly we never heard of that one before" even though they already received a fistful of questions on the same problem?
Old December 7th, 2010, 04:06 PM   #15
Inner Circle

Jim, while certainly not a permanent solution, are you aware you can right click on the clip and bring up the fx box? Or does that not work either?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...