Can't Select Video FX Icons on clips on the timeline - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old December 18th, 2010, 11:19 AM   #31
Trustee

I still have received no response from my support request. This leads me to believe that Sony Stalks this thread but doesn't respond on it. I suspect they saw my post and have decided that I don't need their help or perhaps they are engaging in a little payback. That's a far cry from what I see from Adobe. They are very active on a number of threads on the Adobe Creative Suite forum. Keep it up guys and you are going to have to come up with a slick story for your stockholders. People don't have to use your product you know. I like Vegas and I don't want to switch to a different NLE but stuff like this gives me pause - not the problem; all products have problems; it's the lack of support that I find unacceptable.
Jim Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2010, 12:38 PM   #32
Inner Circle

Jim, if your suspicions were true, why would you post more negative comments about the sneaky Sony people? Now they may actually come to your house and get you.

It's a bug and they don't have a solution yet. It will be fixed in the next update.
Old December 18th, 2010, 01:00 PM   #33
Trustee

Jeff, here is what I know:

1. I submitted a tech support request a week ago and I have had no response.

2. I look at the Adobe Creative Suite forum and I see Adobe actively participating - for example this thread http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-cr...cs5-crash.html

3. I spoke to a friend who uses PP CS5. He told me he has had three tech support requests for Adobe. In each case they answered him in one or two days.

4. Other companies are active on the forum as well. I particularly admire Cineform's helpful participation.

Why is Sony so out of touch? I can only speculate but whatever it is, it's not OK with me. Should it be!? No I'm not Paranoid as your post implies. I am what is called in the trade - an upset customer. I'm not upset because of the problem, all products have problems. I'm upset because Sony's support has let me down. I have been an ad hoc promoter of Vegas because I like it. At least three associates have bought it because of my enthusiastic recommendation. So yes, I'm disappointed. Oh, if "it's going to be fixed in the next update", why can't they tell me!? Am I just supposed to figure that out as a by product of no response from them?
Old December 19th, 2010, 12:26 AM   #34
Inner Circle

I know Jim, you're angry...but Sony is not Adobe. Sony from time to time does ignore trouble tickets. This is not new, unfortunately. The support staff is likely overwhelmed with these issues right now, and probably understaffed as well. This is a problem-plagued release.

Unless someone comes up with a work around, this issue will be with us until the next release. This is the normal flow of things with a new Vegas release. There's really nothing you or I can do about it at this point, except notify them and let it go.

Personally, I'm resigned to it. Before 10 came out I predicted this situation. But it's not because I'm a psychic. This is what happens each and every Vegas upgrade. This happened to me with 8. I ranted and raved and screamed and hollered. It did no good. Two revisions later it was fine.

And by the way, even if you are paranoid, it doesn't mean they aren't out to get you. (just kidding)
Old December 19th, 2010, 01:36 AM   #35
Trustee

Thanks Jeff, I appreciate your insight. I hope Sony learns that proactive support is in their interests most of all. It increases customer retention as well as word of mouth referrals.
Old December 19th, 2010, 05:51 AM   #36
Inner Circle

If I had your issue, I couldn't live with it...as Mike suggested in another thread, you can copy and paste (possibly) your clips, etc from 10 to 9...
Old December 19th, 2010, 12:36 PM   #37
Trustee

I finally got a response from Sony.

"One solution would be to reset the software.

1. Close the software.
2. Hold down the Ctrl & Shift keys when double clicking the mouse to launch the program.
3. When the program asks "Do you want to reset all <Program Name> preferences to default values?", choose Yes.

If this fails to resolve the issue, the window may be stuck under the task bar. Try these steps:

1. In Windows XP and Windows Vista, right click anywhere on the blank area of your task bar located at the bottom of your screen and choose "Properties".
2. Check the option "Auto hide the task bar."
3. Open the software and try accessing the missing window in your project. Once you are able to locate the window and move it back into your project, you can right click on the task bar, go back to "Properties" and uncheck "Auto hide the task bar"."

The Ctrl & Shift reset preferences procedure didn't work; I had already tried it. I suspect the suggestion about stuck in the task bar might have done the trick although I will never know (I hope) because I had already fixed it by uninstalling and clearing the registry before reinstalling. A previous uninstall and reinstall without clearing the registry didn't fix it because whatever the problem was remained in the registry.

If Sony gave you the option of uninstalling preferences when you uninstall Vegas as Adobe does, I suspect my problem resolution would have been much simpler. It's helpful to have a choice with this.
Jim Snow is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...