Select Event Keyboard Shortcut or Script? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old April 13th, 2011, 04:57 PM   #1
Major Player

Select Event Keyboard Shortcut or Script?

Is there a script or keyboard shortcut to select the event that is under the timeline cursor for the currently selected track? This would be very helpful in automating my split macro on my ShuttlePro2. Thanks in advance
Old April 14th, 2011, 04:05 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Select Event Keyboard Shortcut or Script?

Double clicking (on the R) while the cursor is on the event will select it. You can Group it with (G) or Ungroup it from (U) linked events (e.g. the audio) but watch to make sure you have Ripple dis-engaged.

For a list of the keyboard shortcuts look under Options in Vegas.

Richard
Richard Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2011, 07:03 AM   #3
Sponsor: JET DV

If this is simply for splitting purposes and you want EVERYTHING under the cursor split, simply use a CTRL-A or CTRL-SHIFT-A to select all or nothing. Then everything under the cursor will be split.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2011, 10:23 AM   #4
Major Player

Thanks Edward. Is there a way just to select only the event on the active track via a keyboard shortcut though?

Richard, thanks for the response but I'm not sure what you mean. Pressing R creates a range. I'm looking for a keyboard shortcut to select an event on the selected track that is under the timeline cursor, not the mouse cursor.

I am aware of the help file, but I can't find this functionality there or online. I do like Edward's workaround though.
Old April 15th, 2011, 01:27 AM   #5
Old Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Janisch View Post
Thanks Edward. Is there a way just to select only the event on the active track via a keyboard shortcut though?
Well, in Excalibur there is a selections of the Events in the "Select Events" within Excalibur. There you have the options to:-

A] All Before Cursor

B] Selection Area Only

C] All After Cursor

D] Selected Tracks

E] Include Events Under Cursor

F] Split at Cursor

Firstly :- Go to Vegas: Options > Preferences > Editing (tab) > Check "Collapse Loop Region . . . . "

Secondly :- Now, in the list above it's B] PLUS E] that will go ahead and Select JUST the Event OR if present at that Cursor position ALL the Events Vertically available. So, If you only have a single Track of Video and Audio - yes? - then this will work as a Single Event Selection, otherwise, you'll get ALL the Events under the Cursor. The point being here is that I'm not totally sure Vegas CAN differentiate many Tracks of Events lying on top of each other, you get whatever is UNDER the Cursor. So, a single Track will get that Previewing Event Selected.

OK so far? Yes?

Now, as you are most likely aware, one can map to the CSP Macros and keystrokes. And yes Edward has supplied or he has used an existing Command that comes with Vegas to do that C] option above. I've checked this and although I have our choice, B] PLUS E] selected within Excalibur, using the Command as either an Icon on my Toolbar OR my own KS, Ctrl+E+X, Excalibur reverts to C] PLUS E], which selects all Events AFTER the Cursor. Not what we want here.

So, we are kinda, almost there. What we need is for the B] PLUS E] option as a Command and then we can set that as a KS and then THAT could then feasible be mapped to a CSP Button.

So, to Recap:

1] CHECK the Collapse Time Selection in Vegas Prefs

2] Have available ('cos it ain't at present, I've check!) a Vegas Command that would use/emulate the B] PLUS E] option in Excalibur

3] Create a KS Command from that Command

4] Map this to KS Command to the CSP.

You'd only have to do stages 1>4 once. And of copurse that all important B] PLUS E] as a Command!

HTH?

Grazie

Last edited by Graham Bernard; April 15th, 2011 at 01:33 AM. Reason: Logic, Spelling, Clarity . . .
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2011, 04:29 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Janisch View Post

Richard, thanks for the response but I'm not sure what you mean. Pressing R creates a range. I'm looking for a keyboard shortcut to select an event on the selected track that is under the timeline cursor, not the mouse cursor.

I am aware of the help file, but I can't find this functionality there or online. I do like Edward's workaround though.
Sorry I wasn't clearer - I actually meant the R to mean right click (i.e. right click twice) on the event.

Richard
Richard Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2011, 07:34 AM   #7
Sponsor: JET DV

It is definitely doable via a script. As Graham said, Excalibur has the Select Events tool which can be assigned to a keypress. You would just need to set the default properties appropriately. Or a custom script could definitely be written - I'm sure there's one out there somewhere. I have several little selection type scripts but none of them to only select what's under the cursor.

Of course, if you're going the script route, why stop there? You don't even need to select the event. You can simply use the script to split events at the cursor location that are on selected tracks. In fact, the Select Events tool in Excalibur will already do that. Just turn on the bottom four options (All After Cursor, Selected Tracks Only, Include Events Under Cursor, and Split At Cursor Location). Save that as your default settings and assign it to a keypress and you can then assign it to your shuttlepro.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2011, 12:07 PM   #8
Major Player

Thanks guys!!!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...