Rendering 30P for Blu Ray at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old December 21st, 2011, 03:45 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Rendering 30P for Blu Ray

Hi everyone,

I have a project that includes 30p footage from a 5D mark 2, and 60i/30fps footage from an XH-A1s. I did a render for blu ray using pro 10 and once in DVD Architect, I was given the message that DVDA would recompress the footage. Of course, I don't want that to happen because Vegas has already created a MPEG2, Blu Ray 1920X1080 file for DVDA and took hours and hours to do it.

It seems that for DVDA to accept an MPEG 2 from Vegas, I have to use one of the Vegas templates without making any changes to the template. I did some tests of different 1920X1080 renders to see if DVDA would want to recompress them. It accepted a render from one of Vegas 10's templates. Which is fine. But my only concern is that when creating files for DVDs I select "none (progressive scan)" under "Field Order".

For Blu Ray I can't select this for my progressive footage. I'm concerned because as I watch in the preview window I see lines in the footage that looks like interlacing. Since I have to let the computer work for hours, I need to know if I'm rendering correctly so I don't waste a lot of time. And I don't want the rendered file to end up with this horizontal lines.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Mike Hammond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2011, 04:24 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Rendering 30P for Blu Ray

Mike,

Unfortunately, Blu-ray only supprts 1080p at 24 fps (and no other frame rate). 1080/30p must be encoded as 60i interlaced (which in this case, will merely convert 30p into 60i PSF). Blu-ray does support 1080/60i natively, however.
Randall Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2011, 04:28 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Progressive greyed out in DVDA properties, says "NO"

24p vs. 30p Blu-ray

Easy way to create Blu-ray/AVCHD using the X264 encoder

The last thread by Phil Lee seems to offer hope that you can do what you want.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2011, 07:27 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Hi guys,

Thanks so much for the replies. I went ahead with what I think is the right process (unless I completely misunderstood everything I just read) and am burning the first BR right now. I should know in a few minutes how it turned out.
Mike Hammond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2011, 11:43 AM   #5
Major Player

Hi

If you haven't already I'd recommend a BD-RE disc so you can reuse it should a test not work well.

I have posted an application on here that uses the rather good x264 encoder, it also takes 30p and converts it to 60i PsF for Blu-ray, might be of use. Easy way to create Blu-ray/AVCHD using the X264 encoder Sorry just seen the link as been posted above already.

DVD Architect can be a bit funny sometimes and starts wanting to re-encode this and that unless everything is just perfect, you might want to try ::: multiAVCHD home ::: as an alternative, it seems to go with the flow.

Regards

Phil
Phil Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2011, 09:30 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks Phil. It actually came out fine but I'll look into these suggestions when I have a few moments. DVDA is usually fine for me, but you're right in that it can be a little irrratible.
Mike Hammond is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...