typewriter effect vegas at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old March 3rd, 2012, 01:47 AM   #1
Trustee

typewriter effect vegas

I think I inquired about this some time ago...

...but am wondering if any plug in or such like is available for Vegas that enables one to easily - operative word 'easily' - produce a typewriter effect putting text onto a screen one letter at a time - perhaps also with accompanying key stroke sounds...
Renton Maclachlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2012, 04:35 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: typewriter effect vegas

"easily" being the operative word. Not to my knowledge.

A few years back in Vegas 6 I did a few sentences of typewriter. I did it manually and the whole page didn't move, just the line I was inputting. Once the line rolled up it remained fixed laterally. It came out pretty good for my purpose.

I used "Mom's Typewriter" font and a typewriter audio effect (smith-corona electra automatic typewriter) I timed in soundforge to my letter pattern. It also had the return action of the carriage which was nice. I spent a maybe an hour it doing it by keyframe.

I hope you find something, it was a nice effect.
Mark Wheelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2012, 04:44 AM   #3
Inner Circle

It all depends on your definition of "easily" :)
The following tip is courtesy of John Rofrano.

How do I make Text look like its being typed on a typewriter?

The easiest way to do this is to keyframe the text media like this:

1. Insert a Text Generated Media and set up the font, size, color, etc that you want.
2. Make sure you press the Left Justify button because text is center justified by default. If the text is centered it will move as you add more letters.
3. Start by typing the first letter of the text only.
4. Now make a keyframe a little further down the timeline and type the 2nd letter.
5. Make another keyframe further down the timeline and type the 3rd letter.
6. Keep making new keyframes and typing one letter at a time until your whole message is written.
7. Finally, highlight all the keyframes and right click on one and select Hold from the popup menu for the keyframe type. This will cause the letters to instantly appear at the designated keyframe.

That’s all there is to it. Add a typing sound effect and you're all set.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2012, 08:09 AM   #4
Inner Circle

If you have Titler Pro you have a type-on transition that does a good job. I used it at the end of the Titler Pro promo piece I made for NewBlue: Titler Pro - Built for Fast Advanced Title Sequences - YouTube
There's not a huge amount of control but you can adjust type-on speed by changing the duration of the paragraph.
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2012, 01:36 PM   #5
Trustee

Thanks Mike...that gives me good option...

Ian...that was impressive...

Thanks

PS: Where could you get a ready made typewriter sound from?
Old March 4th, 2012, 03:37 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Thanks Renton.

Try this: Typewriter Sounds | Free Sound Effects | Typewriter Sound Clips | Sound Bites

I used sounds from a sfx collection I already owned but there are hundreds of free ones on the web.
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2012, 01:14 PM   #7
Trustee

Thanks Ian. I looked around after I'd posted and found one I've bookmarked...
Old March 6th, 2012, 01:33 AM   #8
Trustee

the standard titler would enable u to do it. Just key frame one char and apply it to the sentense. Save as preset and u can reuse it.
Old April 5th, 2012, 09:41 PM   #9
Trustee

Thought you may like to know...

I just discovered you can do a typewriter effect in Boris RED as easy as. I got it for a couple of other things but found this last night, and after a bit of fiddling have worked it out (Just gtting to know RED). Type your text (or cut and paste from somewhere else) in the text window (or apparently the composite window but I haven't tried that yet), set the parameters and its more or less done. Got an electric typewriter sound off the web and modified it...slicing out spaces that were too long...and bingo, there you have it.

Now I have to find if the 'beat reactor' in Boris works with text...which would make it look and sound even better...
Old July 14th, 2013, 04:39 PM   #10
Trustee

Rats! I wish I had written down (maybe described it above) what I did in RED to get the typewriter effect. I've forgotten and have to work it all out again... :-(
Renton Maclachlan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...