track motion on/off? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old July 11th, 2013, 02:44 AM   #1
Trustee

track motion on/off?

I have a series of nine screen grabs (earlier post) which I have layered and put in 3D space with track motion. Each image needs to be precisely placed to correlated with speech, however I find that having nine tracks all with with track motion stacked up on top of each other affects the play back speed, so I have no confidence that the transitions are in the correct place.

Is there a way to turn track motion on and off (as you can with FX) so that I can precisely locate the transitions in relation to the speech without having playback speed affected? If there is I can't see it.
Renton Maclachlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2013, 04:18 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: track motion on/off?

No way to turn it off to my knowledge. Have you lowered your preview quality right down (i.e. to draft)? Alternatively (or additionally), can you mute all but the track you are trying to line up and operate on one track at a time?
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2013, 04:36 AM   #3
Trustee

What Ian said...
and, Shift B for RAM preview if short enough.
or,
Sometimes I render a low res mpg just to see your motion in action. Twice to three times real time shouldn't take too long.
Old July 11th, 2013, 02:41 PM   #4
Trustee

Thanks guys. It looks like knocking it back to 'Preview - Auto' does the trick but I will check it out more closely later on.

Maybe Sony should add an On/Off switch to track motion...
Old July 11th, 2013, 06:22 PM   #5
Major Player

Renton, how do you turn fx off in Vegas without turning them off individually? I know you can with audio fx but wasn't aware that you could with video fx.
Chris Hewitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2013, 06:28 PM   #6
Trustee

Just right click on the green cross and select disable all.
😄
Old July 11th, 2013, 07:16 PM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hewitt View Post
Renton, how do you turn fx off in Vegas without turning them off individually? I know you can with audio fx but wasn't aware that you could with video fx.
It depends whether your FX is on the event or on the track. I haven't ever tried to turn FX off globally (all FX on all tracks/events), only individually, mostly track FX...and that is what I would like to do in this case...turn the track motion off for the individual track...

So...I have four tracks of green screen stuff, but the GS stops the play back even though I have a real fast machine. Thus I have done my GS...got it right...then I've turned it off so I can get my cuts exact. Maybe I'll turn it back on now and again to see what my creation looks like, but I'll leave it off until I render. Too bad I can't see the image as it will be...during the editing, but I can live with that.

I've also found that I need to render each little section containing a camera angle (and all its GS stuff) because Vegas crashes if I try to do the whole lot at once.
Old July 11th, 2013, 07:19 PM   #8
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald Webb View Post
Just right click on the green cross and select disable all.
😄
Green cross?
Old July 11th, 2013, 07:26 PM   #9
Trustee

Looks like a green cross to me
:)
Attached Thumbnails
track motion on/off?-screenshot_2013-07-12-11-18-57.png  
Old July 11th, 2013, 09:56 PM   #10
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald Webb View Post
Looks like a green cross to me
:)
Nah..that's not a cross. Actually I don't know what it is but know it aen't a cross. A cross is like the 'red cross' in the top right hand corner of the Pan/Crop or Track Motion window...

However, I didn't know about that right click menu... :-)
Old July 12th, 2013, 08:46 AM   #11
Sponsor: JET DV

You want to look at the "split screen view" button above the preview screen. Click the little arrow beside it to see the various options - one of which is to turn off all effects. Then just click that one button to toggle all effects on or off. You can also do 1/2 screen on 1/2 screen off so you can see how much your footage is really being adjusted.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2013, 03:41 PM   #12
Major Player

Edward, that is what I was looking for, great! Tell me, can you do the same sort of thing to compare two seperate tracks in order to color match?
Chris Hewitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2013, 12:22 AM   #13
Old Boot

Edward? You awake . . ? OK, I'll have a go.

OK, Colour Matching for Vegas has had, like most things in Vegas, a fairly rocky creative pathway to where we are now.

Yes you can compare 2 sets of samplings and utilise a mass of the SONY colour rectifiers to spend countless hours around the fireside, on long Winter's Nights, getting things just so. . . ugh . . . Now, here's the thing, some clever chappies have come up with their own one-shot colour matching tools. Yes SCS has now got its own, but being the total numb nuts and kluzt that I am, I just can't GUI the thing. However, I've had spectacular easy-peasy outcomes using the Frederic Baumann's Colour Match ( apologies Fred, I will NOT use that other spelling for "colour" - I just wont.) It just works and works well.

Scenario: I had that 3-Camera shoot where the back wall was Magnolia; the first of the singing soloists is a dark complexion Nigerian opera star; the next was a very pale skinned bass; and the 3rd singer, a baritone, was a rather handsome and swarthy chappy, not unlike myself - I wish!

The scene is set. WB throughout and then one of the overheads is dimmed by a "light-desk" operative - marvellous . . . . Oh yeah I forgot to the right of this jolly trio was the main orchestra and behind them a "The Choir Invisible". This Merry hoard were front lit from lit from above too. A total 'mare to balance both in terms of luminance and chroma. I had pink/bluish magnolia; tight CU's that had the Magnolia as . magnolia and then the wide 3rd Camera had greenish Mag . .

But Fred's CM s/w came through for me. FB C.Match . Check out that Link and experience how good it is.

OK, so yes you can but just consider another/alternative way or opportunity.

Compare Colour for matching for the purposes of WB-ing:

1] Use the Copy to Clipboard within the Preview Screen to "scrub" a section of the Source Event (SE)

2] Bring this back into the Preview Screen on the Target Event (TE).

. . or . .

Just Scrub over the ES and use that as your colour "pick" while operating the CC on the TE.

OR, you could try SONY's own CM offering.

Cheers

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2013, 08:09 AM   #14
Sponsor: JET DV

Sorry, was gone over the weekend. Yes, you can compare to something else as well. Go to the video/frame you want to compare to and copy that frame to the clipboard (that's another one of the buttons above the preview screen). Then in the drop-down list, choose the clipboard options. Now when you click on that button, it will show half the video frame you're looking at and half the clipboard image.

Search on that "split screen" option in the help file. It really is a very powerful tool that virtually noone knows exists until they accidentally click on it an then lose all their effects.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...