Nightmares editing iPhone footage at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old July 5th, 2013, 10:23 AM   #1
Major Player

Nightmares editing iPhone footage

I'm attempting to render a 2-minute video, put together with footage from an iPhone which a client has supplied. It has become a nightmare, with constant crashes, and Vegas freezing during rendering.

I'm using Vegas Pro 11 (32 bit) and have tried it on my i5 desktop and i5 laptop, both unsuccessfully. After searching for advice I have turned off GPU acceleration for rendering, disabled resampling in each clip and updated Quicktime Pro to the latest version.

When Vegas freezes during rendering it is never at the same point - sometimes at 10 percent, and the most I've got to is 31 percent before freezing.

As it is such a short project would it be worth me converting the iPhone footage to a different format and starting again in Vegas?

Any help would be most appreciated.

ps, both my PCs are usually very stable when editing HDV/ GH2 and GoPro footage in Vegas.
Matt Bigwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2013, 03:20 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Nightmares editing iPhone footage

I had a similar issue when trying to render video shot with a Sony HDSLR camera and likewise turning off GPU rendering didn't help. I solved the issue by letting Vegas match the project settings to the media type.

Open Project Properties and click the Match Media Video Settings (upper right corner of dialog).

If this doesn't fix the issue you may need to convert the clips to another format as you suggested. I've occasionally had a random video clip hang up a project and rendering the clip to another format always solved the problem.
Guy Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2013, 05:12 PM   #3
Major Player

Since I don't have any problems with iphone video (on Vegas12) I'm guessing it's most probably a problem with Quicktime - have you tried using a different version of Quicktime? (version 7.6.8 seems to work for most people)
Rainer Listing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2013, 11:24 PM   #4
Old Boot

Does this help? This what my Vegas Project Settings come back with. This is in VP12.
Attached Thumbnails
Nightmares editing iPhone footage-iphone-vegas-project-settings.jpg  
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2013, 12:47 AM   #5
Major Player

Thanks for all the excellent advice. I have uninstalled Quicktime and re-installed Quicktime Pro v 7.6 and have finally managed to render the project! Thanks once again.
Old July 6th, 2013, 04:05 AM   #6
Old Boot

Eggcllent!!

G
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2013, 07:10 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Well done.
My workaround was to convert it to AVI and go from there.

A client of mine raves about her iphone.. and eyepad... but they became unglued when her hubby tried to use the school ipad with her home mac....

Hate the darned things...

But LOVE it when the vision they shoot is vertical.... Thats when they realise they should have got us to do the shoot for them....

Ben
Ben Longden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2013, 07:14 AM   #8
Major Player

Hi Ben,

The client that I am doing the edit for DID shoot with the phone vertically.... and horizontally. He also did an interview with someone using the iPhone in a busy gym, so you can imagine what the audio is like.

The really sad thing is that he thinks the iPhone footage is good enough to go on his website and promote his product.
Old July 15th, 2013, 08:28 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Until he sees and hears it on the 42 inch set.... I hear you loud and clear, and find that a lot of clients think their iphone stuff is fantastic - simply because they shot it..

I just does my best and cut the stuff.... then they ask me to help with a reshoot..
Ben Longden is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...