Vegas Video discussions from 2004 (Q3Q4) - Page 61 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old September 20th, 2004, 06:02 AM   #901
Regular Crew

Thanks guys. I appreciate it
Old September 20th, 2004, 10:33 PM   #902
Regular Crew

Here is a partial meeting agenda for the upcoming Wednesday, September 22nd SCVUG Meeting. If you would like to get involved and attend - please rsvp by clicking the SCVUG link. SCVUG

SCVUG - September 22, 2004 Meeting Agenda

1. Jeremy Strappard and Danny Brant from Cal AV - will be making a presentation on Blue Sky Speaker Systems for Audio/Video Editing. Cal AV is a distributor for Sony Pro Audio products.

2. Liam Kennedy will be giving two great presentations.

The first presentation will be about Liam's recent trip to Iran in which he participated in a astromical conference and recorded over 20 hours of video. The footage is amazing and is being turned into a major documentary.

The second presentation by Liam will be about the Ins and Outs of producing Public Access Television Programs. Liam, currently produces a Public Access Program for the Orange County Astronomers Association which airs in Southern California to a half million homes.

This presentation alone - is worth the price of admission!

3. Jay Mitchell will be making a Showcase Presentation of current Vegas Training Products. Planned are VASST DVDs "Introduction to Vegas 5" and
"Vegas 5 FASST"

Every Month, Jay will be Showcasing Different Training Products that will be of great value to all Vegas Users.

4. Matt Reason will be giving a training session on the most requested Vegas feature Sets.

5. A Q&A session to get answers to all of your Vegas Questions

6. And, no SCVUG Meeting would be complete without our World Famous - Free Raffle of valuable editing products.

Hope to see you all there,

Jay Mitchell
SCVUG Host
Old September 21st, 2004, 02:29 AM   #903
Regular Crew

Excalibur (For Edward)

Hi Edward!

I've done a multicam shoot, and been teetering on getting Excalibur.

On a recent post here, you answered by saying that putting two different camera shots of the same scene on two different tracks, then using the sync wizard, it will automatically sync them.

Is this correct?

Cheers,

Andy
Old September 21st, 2004, 07:49 AM   #904
Sponsor: JET DV

There is still a small manual process. YOU have to find a common point on both camera angles (sudden change in sound, camer flash...). After that, yes it will automatically align them on that point, create the PIPed view, and add the camera number overlay. It really works quite nicely.
Old September 21st, 2004, 08:00 AM   #905
Regular Crew

OK Edward, thanks for the reply.

I'm going to break out the credit card tomorrow. Be prepared for more questions :)

Cheers,

Andy
Old September 21st, 2004, 02:27 PM   #906
New Boot

progressive setting

My camcorder has a progressive setting, and it is off by default. What is it used for, and should I have it on for better results when editing in Vegas.

Thanks, Dennis
Old September 22nd, 2004, 12:06 AM   #907

Depends on the camera. If it's anything but the panasonic DVX series or the Canon XL2, leave it off. You are losing resolution and information. Vegas will work with the footage either way, but you are giving Vegas less information to work with. Frame mode/progressive mode on most cameras either shifts pixels or cuts framerate to achieve the progressive look.
http://www.vasst.com
Old September 22nd, 2004, 06:27 AM   #908
Regular Crew

MPEG-2 rendering question

I rendered a video as MPEG-2 in NTSC DVD and it worked but the picture does not fill the screen when it is played on a computer. Is this normal or how can I fix this problem.

Mitch
Old September 22nd, 2004, 06:42 AM   #909
RED Code Chef

1. what do you use to play this with

2. what is your computers resolution (if it is anything above 720x480 then it will normally per default not fill the screen)

3. most players can up-scale the footage to fullscreen in realtime when you double-left-click with the mouse on the picture or hit alt+enter (same way gets you back)

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old September 22nd, 2004, 07:10 AM   #910
Inner Circle

id u change ur project from interlaces to progressive, you will get a psuedo "Frame" look..

as DSE said, you DO lose resolution... in trade off to the "look"

another thing is that progressive doesnt necessarily mean progressive in these cameras (apart from DVX/XL2)
It can also mean Progressive Photoshoot...
Old September 22nd, 2004, 07:19 AM   #911
New Boot

It is a panasonic ag-dv7 camcorder. Sounds like I should just leave it off. Just needed to understand what that feature did. Thanks.
Old September 22nd, 2004, 08:23 AM   #912
Regular Crew

if you want to know the difference between progressive scan and interlaced frames go here:

http://hometheater.about.com/od/befo...essivescan.htm

it explains it pretty good... ...if it's fake progressive scan then leave it off, shoot in interlaced, then if you really want to get the "film look" then do it when you render to mpeg 2 (dvd architect 24p file) or NTSC 24 dv file. vegas does a good job at this if you have version 4 or 5.. ..not sure about 3 etc.. ...this 24p is fake too, but ive had good luck with it.
Old September 22nd, 2004, 08:30 AM   #913
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Rob Lohman : 1. what do you use to play this with

2. what is your computers resolution (if it is anything above 720x480 then it will normally per default not fill the screen)

3. most players can up-scale the footage to fullscreen in realtime when you double-left-click with the mouse on the picture or hit alt+enter (same way gets you back) -->>>

also, what was the res of your raw footage? regular dv?
Old September 22nd, 2004, 08:38 AM   #914
Regular Crew

this is one feature i wish vegas had
Old September 22nd, 2004, 09:41 AM   #915
Trustee

I've worked out a bodged workaround. I'll create seperate projects for all the seperate scenes so I can edit them all individually. Then I'll render out each scene as another file. I'll import them all in order into a new project and save that as something like "fullfilm.veg"

Now whenever I make a change to a scene I just resave over the rendered file for that particular scene, and the timeline for fullfilm.veg will automatically have the new version of the scene. Of course if the scenes change length I'll have to adjust the fullfilm timeline, but it's a sort of solution.

Ed, why so blunt? I don't write scripts and don't know how. So I don't know what they can and can't do.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...