Vegas Video discussions from 2004 (Q3Q4) - Page 62 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old September 22nd, 2004, 12:45 PM   #916
Sponsor: JET DV

Wasn't trying to be blunt. At the time I posted I didn't have time to elaborate on the answer. (and I *DID* say it was the SHORT answer) :-)

Here's my reasoning behind the answer, though. In order to load a VEG file, you would have to be able to read it. However, the format of that file is not publicly defined. Then there may be effects added to clips or tracks...., the scripting API cannot apply the various settings - they can only use presets.

There are a LOT of things that simply cannot be done right now via scripting that you'd have to be able to do. So, the long answer is NO.

Your "workaround" is the same approach I take.
Old September 22nd, 2004, 03:24 PM   #917
Regular Crew

wind noise - please help

Folks I really hate to bother you all with this but .... I am at the tail end of my first project and have wind noise on a couple of key interview clips.

I know, I should have waited until the wind died down or conducted interviews somewhere else but there were mostly intermitent gust and of course the gust were always when they said something really good. It does not overwhelm the voice but you can hear it, especially with headphones.

I know, I should have gotten that muff mike thingy but the day started off really calm and I didn't think it would be a problem (I know, I know, I know). I couldn't reschedule and can't reshoot and, like I said, the wind was intermitent and I did stop recording when it got really bad as well as junked a lot of footage where it was just intolerable IMHO.

Now, with all the groveling and apologies out of the way, does anyone know of a simple fix in Vegas to minimize wind noise? I checked into Noise Reduction but can't afford the cost of the program right now and was hoping that there is a simpler fix from all you Vegas gurus out there.
Old September 22nd, 2004, 04:04 PM   #918
Inner Circle

You can use the parametric EQ filter to remove bass frequencies. Adjust it around until you hear it mess around with the voice, then back off.

You could also replace individual parts of words, but that's very time consuming. Jay Rose's book Audio Postproduction for Digital Video (see dplay.com on how to buy it) covers this (it's an excellent book).

There might be some other things you can do, but it takes more time/money.

2- Try to check your mix on something accurate. On headphones you hear way too much.

It might be that the amount of wind rumble is acceptable. It may also make the audience get a better sense of the environment.
Old September 22nd, 2004, 05:30 PM   #919
New Boot

Stripes on video after render/print

Hi.

After I rendered/printed my project to MiniDV tape (80 minutes long) I discovered at 2 or 3 different points on the tape the video showed thick horizontal stripes combining the two adjacent shots.
Anyone know why this is happening?

Thanks
Old September 22nd, 2004, 07:33 PM   #920
Regular Crew

DSE (SPOT) had a few great tips on the Sony site.

Here's the link:

http://mediasoftware.sonypictures.com/forums/ShowMessage.asp?MessageID=317110&Page=0

Hope this helps.

P.S. I'm not sure about crossposting from another forum so if ettiquette is not being followed please let me know.

Andy
Old September 22nd, 2004, 08:21 PM   #921

You noticed this in the RENDERED file. What does the same point look like in the SOURCE files? Is the same thing there?
Old September 22nd, 2004, 09:58 PM   #922
Regular Crew

Thanks folks. I will try your suggestions but you're also right, on a standard tv, the wind noise rumble is barely noticable to the untrained ear of my wife. I can barely hear it unless I turn the tv up fairly loud myself. I am just concerned when it goes to professionals who may use every reason to label it amatuer and therefore want to decline my project.

Thanks again
Old September 23rd, 2004, 03:52 AM   #923
Regular Crew

if the stripes are thick i would say its a tape issue
Old September 23rd, 2004, 03:55 AM   #924
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Simon Wyndham : I've worked out a bodged workaround. I'll create seperate projects for all the seperate scenes so I can edit them all individually. Then I'll render out each scene as another file. I'll import them all in order into a new project and save that as something like "fullfilm.veg"

Now whenever I make a change to a scene I just resave over the rendered file for that particular scene, and the timeline for fullfilm.veg will automatically have the new version of the scene. Of course if the scenes change length I'll have to adjust the fullfilm timeline, but it's a sort of solution.

Ed, why so blunt? I don't write scripts and don't know how. So I don't know what they can and can't do. -->>>

I used this method for the feature i just finished up, the only problem is you have to go through another recompress
Old September 23rd, 2004, 05:32 AM   #925
Regular Crew

$100 Reasons To Join The SCVUG

Here is a very special offer to receive a $100 savings coupon off of the price of DV Rack by Serious Magic. And, all you have to do is join the SoCal Vegas Users Group - aka SCVUG and purchase the DV Rack by September 30th.

There are many reasons to join the SCVUG - and these type of benefits are just one of them.

Joining the SCVUG does not mean that you cannot still be loyal to your favorite Vegas Forum. We are a group of dedicated Vegas Users that enjoys the support of Sony and shares our knowledge and benefits, freely.

Here is the link to join the SCVUG

Jay Mitchell
SCVUG Host
Old September 23rd, 2004, 05:35 AM   #926
Trustee

It's true that another recompress will need to be gone through, although I will be applying Magic Bullet to the final scenes anyway. I could use the Sony YUV codec, but the Sony DV codec is so good over multiple generations I don't think just one generation of recompress will make all that much difference?
Old September 23rd, 2004, 07:25 AM   #927

As long as you don't apply any more filters or other settings, the file will simply be COPIED for the final render. So the ONLY pieces that are "recompressed" would be any overlaps creating dissolves between sections.
Old September 23rd, 2004, 07:41 AM   #928

OR a dirty head.
Old September 23rd, 2004, 08:54 AM   #929
Major Player

Any tips for 5 camera editing?

I've been getting better at editing the various 2 camera shoots that we've been doing in the past but now I'm about to start on the biggest project we've done to date which is a 5 camera multi-day shoot of a live festival.

For the 2 camera shoots I've used composite trackers to switch between the shots and every now and again I've added an additional video track to do some sort of effect that couldn't be created with only the two tracks.

So as I start pulling all of the video and getting ready to sink my teeth into these 5 camera shots I'm wondering if there are any tips that any of you might care to share?

I know that if I am to continue using composite tracking as my method of crossfading I will need to put composite trackers on all of the tracks except the lowest one.

Is there any other tidbits that you can share that might save me time, frustration, and hair?

Thanks,
Kevin
Old September 23rd, 2004, 09:03 AM   #930

Yes - get Excalibur (see the link under my name)

It's also reviewed in several of the newsletters at the same link.

It will save you a tremendous amount of time when editing your multi-cam shoots.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...