Vegas Video discussions from 2004 (Q3Q4) - Page 72 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old October 9th, 2004, 12:01 PM   #1066
Regular Crew

It sounds like the AC3 is being compressed too much. Try the following settings:

* Main audio service: complete main
* audio coding mode: 2/0 (L,R) = simple stereo
* dialog normalization: either -31 dB (this kind of means that you disable it), or -27 dB sometimes (but this may turn out quiet for some players, which use this number for playback); I don't use the settings scheme described in the article from doom9
* dynamic range compression: none

That will basically compress your audio to AC3 without losing too much of the dynamic range (if any).
Old October 9th, 2004, 03:34 PM   #1067
Major Player

1K tone??

Hello,

Is there a 1 thousand hertz tone comes with vegas?/ I am in need of one on a tape I ma working on. If can can anyone direct me to where i could find a 1K tone??

Thanks,
Mike Moncrief
Old October 9th, 2004, 04:42 PM   #1068
Inner Circle

You can generate some by printing to tape and capturing that.

Other ways:
Use Sound Forge.
use Audacity, which is open source.
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Set Audacity or SF as your default audio editor and you can right click stuff and edit sound files in your audio editor.
Old October 9th, 2004, 04:50 PM   #1069
Major Player

Hello,

well thats true.. but i am jumping between systems and various software and was hoping to find a wav file without going to tape.. Hmmm there must be one in with the Vegas software, as it can generate the tone to Print to Tape.. not sure where it is at though..
Mike m
Old October 9th, 2004, 04:52 PM   #1070
Inner Circle

Just use Audacity, use the "generate" tool thinger in there to generate tone, and save the wav file. I think you just need exactly 1s as it can loop flawlessly that way.
Old October 9th, 2004, 05:34 PM   #1071
Major Player

Hello,

Ok I downloaded Audacity, and used that,m it did the trick !

Thanks,
Mike M.
Old October 9th, 2004, 07:43 PM   #1072
Sponsor: JET DV

Vegas only generates tone upon printing to tape. It's a simple matter to just PTT a few seconds and then turn around and recapture that tape. The captured file can be rendered to WAV and then shared across as many machines as desired.

If you have Sound Forge, it can also generate a variety of tones.
Old October 10th, 2004, 07:54 AM   #1073
RED Code Chef

This sounds like compression issues instead of problems with the
effects or rendering itself. What is your final output format when
you see these "issues"?

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old October 10th, 2004, 02:17 PM   #1074
Inner Circle

You should try to put up a picture, that would be the best way to describe your problem. (before and after)

Otherwise be more descriptive as to what these spots look like.
Old October 11th, 2004, 09:43 AM   #1075
Regular Crew

Last chance to vote on Scripting Requirements

The Scripting Wish List poll will be open for voting through the end of this week, then we will be sending the results to Sony to help in ranking enhancements to scripting for future Vegas releases.

If you haven't voted already, and have things that you would like to see added to the Scripting API, please vote soon.

Randall
Old October 12th, 2004, 01:01 AM   #1076
Major Player

DVDA (red) disc space used warning?

On my last pass, why did the "disc space used" msg in the lower right corner turn red once it decided my project is 4.4 gigs? The discs hold 4.7, and it still burns and (from what I can tell) plays fine when I ignore it. Is that just a dummy warning light that you're getting close to capacity?

Marcia
Old October 12th, 2004, 03:22 AM   #1077
Trustee

Odd surround bug

I've recently being making a project in surround and have been using the 'Film' pan type. Strangely though when I come back to the project after reloading (and sometimes while I have been doing some editing) some of the layers change back to the 'constant' pan type on their own!

Has anyone else experienced this?

Another odd thing I have come across the last few days is that I keep getting told by DVDA2 that my DVD+RW (yes re-writable) disc is full in spite of the fact I told DVDA2 to erase the disc and go over any information that was on it!

This has been with two seperate brand new discs and I've never had a problem with anything like this before. Windows itself says that the disc only has 832mb capacity!

Obviously this is a pain as I like to test DVDs on rewritables so that if anything needs changing I don't end up with a room full of drinks coasters and an empty wallet!
Old October 12th, 2004, 03:23 AM   #1078
Trustee

Sorry I should mention that I am using Vegas 5b.
Old October 12th, 2004, 07:25 AM   #1079
Sponsor: JET DV

A burnable DVD labeled "4.7 Gig" will hold a total of 4.37 Gig. It's a difference between base 10 math and binary math. Computers use 1024 instead of 1000. The 4.7 is based on 1000. When based on 1024, it drops to 4.37.

Naturally, they "label" with the bigger number. That's also part of the reason why a 200Gig drive will only hold around 180 Gig! Part of the lost space is due to the above (the rest is due to formatting information).

If the disc actually burned and played fine, the final result must have actually been 4.37 or less. Remember the number there is just an estimate.
Old October 12th, 2004, 09:43 AM   #1080
Major Player

Thank goodness for you, Edward. :-) You're right of course, that it's actually much less. Since reading your post I noticed the difference when I went to burn this morning. Hadn't paid attention to that before. Actual size at that point was indeed lower. I reduced the file size anyway. I shortened how long bacground media I'd created played. Out of curiousity, is there a standard "average" for how long people let them go? I can't imagine anyone staring at a menu and debating what to select for longer than 30 seconds. I have it set to 1 min now, but does it even need to be that long?

Marcia
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...