Vegas Video discussions from 2004 (Q3Q4) - Page 12 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old July 15th, 2004, 03:07 PM   #166
Regular Crew

Excalibur's Marker Wizard.

Gary
Old July 15th, 2004, 03:49 PM   #167
Trustee

Spooky - you both posted at exactly the same time.

About Excalibur - it's a great tool. I highly recommend it.
Old July 15th, 2004, 06:04 PM   #168
New Boot

Wow, I think I'll buy it used then.
Thank you Edward and Philip, you both were very helpful.
Old July 15th, 2004, 07:42 PM   #169
Sponsor: JET DV

What can I say? Great minds think alike!
Old July 15th, 2004, 11:56 PM   #170
Regular Crew

Fading music under video?

Hi guys, very simple question here :
I'm new to Vegas, very excited about the possiblities this program can do to my video, and the help this fourm can offer.

I tried every obvious solution to me and nothing has worked yet...My question is how do i fade the music under in the middle of the piece?

I want the music to start loud for about 10 sec, then fade the music down, to background music so you can hear the person talk without being blown away by the music.

So far i can only either make it loud or soft, but not move at designated places

thanks guys
Old July 16th, 2004, 01:12 AM   #171
Regular Crew

Highlight the audio track and hit "V"

This inserts a volume envelope.

Double click on this to add a "node" or pivot point, then drag up or down as required,
Old July 16th, 2004, 01:18 AM   #172
Regular Crew

thats exactlly what i wanted; i've never heard the term "envelope" wouldn't have found that on my own

thanks so much
Old July 16th, 2004, 05:11 AM   #173
Regular Crew

Frame grab file format

Can anybody tell me if it is possible to capture and save a frame grab in uncompressed format (eg .tif) using Vegas? I have only been able to get .jpg files and was hoping to get higher resolution stills.

Many thanks
Duncan
Old July 16th, 2004, 06:36 AM   #174
Inner Circle

thers another thread on this below discussing normalisation.

on thing to note is that Vegas doesn't encode 5.1 in realtime, so it really depends on how you are connecting your PC to the surround processor as to whether or not you are gonna hear all channels
Old July 16th, 2004, 06:58 AM   #175

Do a search for envelope in the help file. You'll find there are a lot of them in Vegas. For example, Volume envelope, Velocity envelope, Composite envelope, Transition envelope (just to name a few)
Old July 16th, 2004, 07:02 AM   #176

You have two options when saving a snapshot: JPG and PNG. I believe you want PNG based on your description. PNG is a lossless format that supports alpha channel.

Your image will be (NTSC values) 655x480 @ 72dpi.
Old July 16th, 2004, 07:13 AM   #177
Major Player

Training Video

I can't recommend strongly enough that you purchase and repeatedly view a good training video about Vegas.

I started with MovieFactory and moved up to Vegas3.0 then 4.0 and now 5.0, gradually increasing my capability with the editor on each upgrade. I thought I was getting most of my money's worth out of the product until I bought Gary Kleiner's training video (http://www.vegastoolsandtraining.com/videos.html) and watched it about five times.

I didn't even know what I didn't know.

I now realize that while I thought I was using most of Vegas, I was only getting about 25% of my money's worth out of the thing. Not that I feel compelled to use every gadget and gizmo (and its got a bunch of them), but now I at least know how to use most of them and know where to 'rewatch' on the DVD if I can't remember. I'm going to buy Gary's update and Douglas Spotted Eagle's training video also, when they are both updated for VV5.0.

You've bought a powerful video editor in Vegas Video, you owe it to yourself and the hapless victims you will foist your films upon to buy a good training video and really get the most out of it. Unless you are one of the rare 'cinema savants' and then I take it all back. ; )
Old July 16th, 2004, 09:59 AM   #178
Wrangler

Speaking of Normalization how do you use it in Vegas, in other words can you tweak it. I know in Forge you can Normalize to a specific DB level. Vegas already lists a DB level (RMS?) but does have a "recalculate" button which seems to do nothing. What is that for...if you boost the audio using envelopes or a track fader?
Old July 16th, 2004, 10:33 AM   #179
Regular Crew

Edward
Thanks - I will try saving in PNG format.
Duncan
Old July 16th, 2004, 11:29 AM   #180
Regular Crew

How did you know? My natural skills rivial those to picasso's ability to paint. Uncanny how the program and i "know" each other.

Ok, sarcasim aside it took me 10 mins to solve why i couldn't get a simple transition to work - maybe it was the 2am factor, but more likely it was me. I went to Boarders book store to read up on Vegas but it was pretty crappy; after reading for an hour I didn't learn anything significant. Had i invested the same time playing around with the program i might have learned more.

Well i got up early today soley to edit --- i'm making a sutio family documentary and want it ready before my grandparents pass on. I'm very exicited about editing and vegas is just fun. Thanks guys so far, i'm sure i'll borrow more expertice later, but for now i'm off to learn about "envelopes"

Andy
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...