Vegas Video discussions from 2004 (Q3Q4) - Page 19 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old July 24th, 2004, 10:25 PM   #271
Inner Circle

It might more sense to get a cheap camcorder.

Your three purposes:
1- Yes.
2- Yes, if you get one iwth analog-digital passthrough.
3- Yes. (not sure where the simultaneous part fits in)

I'm not exactly sure why'd you go for the walkman decks... it's smaller, but that wouldn't make a big difference to me. It is not bottom loading like most camcorders out there, but that wouldn't make a big difference to me when I'm saving lots of money.
Old July 25th, 2004, 06:14 AM   #272
Major Player

Quote:
Not many folks outside the Wiregrass know we have a monument to a bug. You must have red clay under your boots.
Yep, raised in Ashford (east of Dothan) and lived there for about 30 years.

Sometimes a bandpass preset in EQ with rolloff on the low and high ends works. Set it in the 4th slot. You can also select one of the lower frequency settings and drag them up or down to boost or notch at that point.
Old July 25th, 2004, 06:27 AM   #273
Major Player

Glenn,

#3 - The simultaneous part being recording to the tape in the camera and passing the same data stream out via firewire to the Walkman deck and recording to its tape. Though now that I say this, for the same money I could get a Laird direct-to-disc setup.
Old July 25th, 2004, 02:01 PM   #274
Inner Circle

#3- One of the Sony camcorders I tried was able to do this too.

Video mixer hooked up to the camera via analog. The camera was recording onto tape, and converting on the fly to a Mac (which was also recording it). It saved the day- I didn't know that capture now was limited to 30 minutes in Final Cut (didn't know to adjust that setting).
Old July 25th, 2004, 02:25 PM   #275
Wrangler

Gary on any of your training DVDs do you cover doing color corrections in conjunction with the waveform monitor?
Old July 25th, 2004, 02:45 PM   #276
Major Player

Glen,
Billy Boy has some info on scopes and color correction on his website in tutorials 8 and 9.
Old July 25th, 2004, 05:27 PM   #277
Regular Crew

Slo mo ok on timeline, jerky in final product

Now this just doesn't make sense to me. I needed to slow a portion of a clip in order to have it appear on screen longer. The clip is acceptable to me playing in slow motion on the timeline. I find if I render it to .avi or to a new track it becomes jerky. The process does not improve the smoothness but, in fact, makes it worse. I saw this on a finished DVD and I can not figure why it looks fine on the monitor when playing from the timeline at approximately 21 fps.

If I RAM Render it, it plays then at 29 frames and also is jerky.

Has anyone seen this before and have you any suggestions for me as to what I can do to try to make this work?

What I am doing is a wedding video and the the time each bridesmaid appears onscreen varies. The cameraman followed the first bridesmaid down the aisle to where she ended up standing then when he realized the next bridesmaid had already come halfway down the aisle the camera went to her, very briefly. I decided if I put all bridesmaids in slow motion I could have them appear for equal amounts of time. I did slow this one more than the others so that might add to the problem but it appears if I could play it a 21 fps it would work.

thanks in advance
Old July 25th, 2004, 06:41 PM   #278
Regular Crew

Rendering in Vegas 5.0

After my project done what do I choose as a rendering process to get this back to a CU VH1 or DVHS deck, I cant seem to find anything with TS , do I just use MPEG2 ? Do you guys/gals have your properties in your projects set to 720P 30 fps or something else?

Thank you
Old July 25th, 2004, 11:15 PM   #279
Inner Circle

Isn't it 7.5IRE?

(Threads with 7.5IRE in them never turn out very conclusive...)
Old July 25th, 2004, 11:50 PM   #280
Regular Crew

You have to change the MPEG2 Rendering Template.

1. Choose File-->Render As, and select MainConcept MPEG-2 for the format.

2. Choose the HD 720 - 30p Template and click the Custom button to the right.

3. At the top of the Custom Template window change the Template name to something you would like, such as HDV 720p.

4. Click the Video tab. At the bottom change it to "Constant bit rate" and enter 15,000,000.

5. Click the Audio tab. Change the "Bit rate" to 384.

6. Click the System tab. Change "Stream type" to Transport. For "System bit rate" uncheck the "Auto-Calculate" box and enter in 19,400,000. Immediately click the Save Template button at the top of the window to save your new template. If you click anything else after changing the "System bit-rate" then the number may jump to a different value.

You can now use the template you made to save out files compatible with your HDV camera. If you require files to have the .m2t extension, then you will need to manually change the extension from .mpg to .m2t.
Old July 26th, 2004, 12:18 AM   #281
Regular Crew

Thanks Mark ,
You are my hero, seriously!
Old July 26th, 2004, 04:17 AM   #282
RED Problem Solver

Nope, Digital video doesn't have any IRE, and IRE does not make sense for digital video as IRE is an analogue measurement.

Digital video is often measured in a percentage (like in FCP), where 0% is black and 100% is full white. These percentages would therefore correspond to 16 and 235 in the digital 8-bit levels terms.

You only have to worry about IRE, and in particular North American NTSC's nasty habit of putting black at 7.5IRE when you convert from analogue to digital or digital to analogue, and for quality purposes you should only adjust it at that point (via a proc amp, or a deck that has a correct 7.5IRE switch)

While the digital video is in your camera, or digitally played into your NLE there is no setup - wether it be DV, digiBeta or HD you're shooting.

Graeme
Old July 26th, 2004, 09:50 AM   #283
Major Player

Preview window

When the preview window is enlarged it tends to slow the
picture/stutter, would this be a function of my computers ram
or is there a setting I can use? Thanks!
Old July 26th, 2004, 10:09 AM   #284
Wrangler

Full frame DV playback is very taxing- even more so when there are effects and transitions. I have a 3.0ghz P4 with 1gig of ram and still can't play back footage with effects at full res, full quality at 29.97 fps. I usually edit using Good (auto) and the bottom half of the interface low enough to shrink the video to 1/2 size. I get really good frame rate that way unless I have an abnormal amount of effects or tracks in a composite.
Old July 26th, 2004, 10:54 AM   #285
Sponsor: JET DV

I usually do half size Preview (Auto). I also usually feed an external monitor.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...